Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 07:52 PM   #253
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Tuco, I think the braking question, not having an exhaust brake or good compression braking, is the only thing between us and a Touareg-type tow vehicle. My experience towing our Airstreams tells me the brakes are more than adequate, and Airstream disc brakes would ensure excellent braking in all conditions. I have wondered what others experienced.

We have a light pickup and it's a decent tow vehicle. But it's an extra vehicle around home, we don't need it. There is zero chance we will ever buy a heavy duty pickup, so their qualities are of no interest. I am grateful to those who can keep the Touareg/Airstream threads on Touaregs and Airstreams.

There is another current thread on these vehicles concerning load capacities, and how it can work. Some creative ideas to keep everything within load limits. Any further discussion on loads as they relate to these vehicles will be welcome?

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
Old 09-04-2015, 09:49 PM   #254
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Trivia ...
Touareg 60-0 mph 122 feet
F250 60-0 mph 148 feet
Nothing about how each of them are equipped. Curious that they're closer in stopping distance at 60 mph. Playing the brake upgrade game you could go to GMs black lake, check stopping distance stock, then trick out both the AS and F250, and check again. But that would also work for the Touareg.
Maybe I'll do discs when I replace axles.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:47 PM   #255
3 Rivet Member

Mountain View , California
Other beloved TV

BMW X5 60-0 mph needs 117 feet
Porsche Cayenne 60-0 mph needs 116 feet
Old 09-04-2015, 11:48 PM   #256
worried...happy...wo...ha

2015 25' FB International
Menlo Park , California
Ok, this is it for me. Unsubscribed!
Truck people, this is unreasonable and somewhat evangelistic.

One final observation from towing and being on the road for years is that the larger the truck, the lower the appreciation and concern for other drivers. I have never seen an SUV and airstream "pushing it" but have experienced quite often being power pushed by a ton truck, loaded to the brim with gear, at 75mph plus. Go figure, this crowd wants to tell us anything about safety....
Old 09-04-2015, 11:50 PM   #257
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Does the warranty statement say that towing voids the warranty?

It would be interesting to hear their justification. The engine can only make the power it can make. What they may be referring to is the time at higher power levels, getting at load factor or duty cycle. You should ask them what the limits are for warranty coverage, in hard figures and in writing. Then ask them how that relates at all to their responsibility to represent the manufacturer who offers the warranty, which is to cover defects in materials and workmanship.

Then you could contact VW and ask them if they know that their dealers are avoiding their responsibility to deliver warranty services as per their dealer license agreements.
Respectfully ...Maybe you should ASK THEM. The last thing I want to do is alienate the service department of the local dealer where I would have to go for warranty or service work. I have politely asked and been politely told that damage caused to the Touareg by towing our EB25 exceeds the load / wd hitch / warranty restrictions. That is good enough for me. This is not an academic question - we had the vehicle ready to purchase - money in hand, but the service manager backed us away with the warranty issues.

I asked again for more specific input from VW USA owners of Touaregs that have had warranty experience with power train warranty issues after towing. Please ... facts - not more speculations or what ifs ... we still like the Touaregs but would not consider the time or cost to drive over the border to potentially invalidate our warranty on a $65K MACHINE. Any mods to the hitch system would be blatantly obvious to the service writer and reason to question why the mods were necessary. I would not invent a story to cover my actions...hence, I ask the question again ...and again ... with no factual responses so far. WE will stay with the current TV until such time as we get proper assurances from others who have already visited the scenario about which was asked.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:28 AM   #258
3 Rivet Member

Mountain View , California
Some people are following what they are told. Some people prefer to understand things and to reach their own conclusions. Did you try to understand what kind of warranty restrictions you would break when towing EB25?

If I had listen to what BMW stealer is telling me...
Old 09-05-2015, 01:28 AM   #259
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
I asked again for more specific input from VW USA owners of Touaregs that have had warranty experience with power train warranty issues after towing.
Yes, but the question presupposes that some Touareg owners have had warranty claim issues. It may be better to ask for how many have had warranty work done, and then see if a subset of those responses represent claims denied. Or ask all vehicle owners how often warranty claims have been denied due to having towed something.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:55 AM   #260
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We switched the Classic to Kodiak disc brakes at the first opportunity even though we tow with a Cummins powered 2500HD. I think the trailer disc brake conversion would be a smart idea for any trailer where a lot of western mountain driving is in the future. The parts we used were compatible with the existing axles.

The usual challenge is where to place the electric/hydraulic pump. Ours is in the front battery box.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 09-05-2015, 11:46 AM   #261
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Trivia ...
Touareg 60-0 mph 122 feet
BMW X5 60-0 mph needs 117 feet
Porsche Cayenne 60-0 mph needs 116 feet

F250 60-0 mph 148 feet
High performance VS Heavy Duty. Hummmmm.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:00 PM   #262
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Even more trivia, compare the stopping distance of a standard equipped pickup with rear drum drum brakes to one with 4 wheel disc anti lock.
The SUVs do it right from the beginning. On trucks it's optional.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:25 PM   #263
3 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Ojai , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Tuco, I think the braking question, not having an exhaust brake or good compression braking, is the only thing between us and a Touareg-type tow vehicle. My experience towing our Airstreams tells me the brakes are more than adequate, and Airstream disc brakes would ensure excellent braking in all conditions. I have wondered what others experienced.

We have a light pickup and it's a decent tow vehicle. But it's an extra vehicle around home, we don't need it. There is zero chance we will ever buy a heavy duty pickup, so their qualities are of no interest. I am grateful to those who can keep the Touareg/Airstream threads on Touaregs and Airstreams.

There is another current thread on these vehicles concerning load capacities, and how it can work. Some creative ideas to keep everything within load limits. Any further discussion on loads as they relate to these vehicles will be welcome?
This looks like a good place to start for an exhaust brake for the Touareg.

D-Celerator Price and Application

They have several sizes from 2 1/2" up to 4" and can be placed after the "Y" in the exhaust system. I get the impression that these kits are universal in nature so it should be easy to adapt to the Touareg (and other small diesel applications). I have no idea how the on board computers will handle this, but the only way to find out would be to install it and see. Maybe this manufacturer would be willing to help with post diagnostics. Thoughts?
Old 09-05-2015, 12:58 PM   #264
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
This looks like a good place to start for an exhaust brake for the Touareg.

D-Celerator Price and Application

They have several sizes from 2 1/2" up to 4" and can be placed after the "Y" in the exhaust system. I get the impression that these kits are universal in nature so it should be easy to adapt to the Touareg (and other small diesel applications). I have no idea how the on board computers will handle this, but the only way to find out would be to install it and see. Maybe this manufacturer would be willing to help with post diagnostics. Toughts?
Adding significant back pressure to a small turbo diesel that is not designed for it might cause some real issues. As someone else pointed out when you top the peak, slow down to 35 and keep it in third gear like the big rigs are required to do on most passes. Keep it under 55 on the highways and leave yourself a lot of room. Keep backing off when people race around to cut you off after all there is no real hurry.

I would submit that if you need to modify it to handle a given load it is too much load. Especially when we are not talking trucks but a luxury SUV.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:10 PM   #265
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
IMO, its one thing to modify (a much simpler) domestic pickup, and completely another thing to modify a luxury German SUV. These light duty diesels are very complex, and also very expensive to maintain and repair. I'd very careful not to do something to void the warranty.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:39 PM   #266
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We've owned two TDI Jettas over the last fifteen years and never had a single repair on either. The 2006 still looks and runs like new.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
Closed Thread