Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 11:46 AM   #197

Currently Looking...
Spokane , Washington
Very impressed

I have been very impressed with this vehicle (especially the You Tube video pulling a Boeing 747 aircraft!!).

I was speaking to our AS saleslady and she mentioned that the imports had difficulty with heavier tow capacities related to some of the stability control-computer widgets as well as electrically supporting the trailer lights (though she stated better with the new LED's).

We are looking at a 27 or 28' FC - any insight from this thread?

Old 08-28-2015, 04:58 PM   #198
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Orleans , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by gram View Post
I have been very impressed with this vehicle (especially the You Tube video pulling a Boeing 747 aircraft!!).

I was speaking to our AS saleslady and she mentioned that the imports had difficulty with heavier tow capacities related to some of the stability control-computer widgets as well as electrically supporting the trailer lights (though she stated better with the new LED's).

Based on reading all of the threads I could find here, the Rennforum for Porsche (the Porsche Cayenne and Audi Q7 being basically the same vehicle as the Touareg - and yes we've driven all three) as wells as PMing directly with a few owners and visiting CanAm RV we opted for a 2011 Touareg TDI to tow our 27 EB. As a side note we were rear ended by a Ford E350 van yesterday. The bumper of the Ford and the grill were pushed back to the radiator and the front tires making it undriveable. The Touareg suffered some broken chrome, a dented rear hatch (that is still safe and fully functional) no shifting of the frame or hitch mount, no damage to lights, glass, or more importantly the passengers. So we seem to have picked a TV for us that is strong, reliable and safe. My wife was a ten ton truck driver in the Army and I've delivered horses across Ontario with a diesel GM dually and we both like driving this more - more comfortable, better mileage and it works for us. Others might be less comfortable but we keep it to about 90-95 kph (about 50-55 mph) paraphrasing what someone on a different post said .... let the others scream past, we're on vacation.

Shawn

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Old 08-28-2015, 09:39 PM   #199
1 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
nanoose bay , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
How hard was it to control downhill speed on those 9% grades?
Hi, yes that would be the hardest part of the tow, going uphill was a breeze and sometimes just left it on cruise control. Downhill you have to pay attention to the grade signs coming up so you dont go flying in at full speed. I wouls slow up and shift to manual to use engine to help slow when needed, boost my trailer brake up some and then take it easy, if speed got up a bit or rpm id brake hard for 10-20 seconds to slow up and then back to normal glide. My biggest concern was keeping stress of brakes on Touareg. It was never a problem just have to drive and use the various controls you have to keep it cool. Murray
Old 08-28-2015, 09:47 PM   #200
1 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
nanoose bay , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gram View Post

hi, we just got a 27 FB international and tow with our 2012 TDI Touareg with now issues. LED lights need a little fix to cure the flickering when not ri=unning as touareg doesnt kn0w for sure if there is anything attached with such a low draw from the led's. I just spiced in a normal incandescent clearance light on one tail light on the trailer and dropped it inside the tail light compartment and it all works perfectly. Installed a rear view back up camera wired in so on all the time when running so I can see whats behind me better and use a Blue Ox 1100 lbs anti sway weight dist hitch (quiet and no sway). Murray
Old 08-29-2015, 07:05 AM   #201
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We installed a 6 ohm 50 watt resistors on each turn signal leg to ground. That helped the Mercedes not pulsate the Prodigy RF brake system in time with the turn signal and also removed the flicker of the LED lights.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 08-30-2015, 08:23 PM   #202
worried...happy...wo...ha

2015 25' FB International
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPDX View Post
I was in Kodachrome Basin State Park this past June and saw a couple of Airstreams. One was being towed by a Cayenne. The setup looked well sorted out. I saw when they were pulling in and never for a second thought, "that's stupid and unsafe". Actually, it looked like a great combination.

I only worry about a setup when I see someone yanking a trailer down the highway at 75 MPH plus and the trailer is dancing around behind the TV. I make sure and give them plenty of distance. Doesn't matter to me whether they are towing with a SmartCar or F450.
Hi MaxPDX. First time we were spotted! Kodachrome is our favorite hangout and we will be back in October

We are towing a 25ft FB International with a 2014 Cayenne Diesel. Eazylift modified bt CanAm and fortified hitch receiver. We also reduced the airstream's tongue weight by ditching the batteries and replacing them with Li-ions located more centrally in the trailer. No spare either. We load the SUV lightly (just 2 people and 2 dogs) and if one would count beans, we are actually within specs.

We also towed the same trailer with an F150. The Cayenne setup is more responsive, has better acceleration, better brakes, and better handling in downhill curves.

We usually do long hauls (2-3K miles in 2 weeks), 3-4x per year. The Cayenne has no issues over long grades up or down. The only time we were re-thinking our setup was when our dealer refused to hitch up the trailer because the ratings did not match. Well, I am also perfectly able to hitch up myself ;-) We still seriously looked at alternatives, considered many factors including safety, and decided that the Cayenne is simply the best solution for us. Not considering a freak accident and a lack of common sense, we are absolutely confident that our choice of TV is the best fit for our situation.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:02 PM   #203

Palm Springs , California
We are going to be towing a 25 ft airstream with a 2014 toureg tdi.
Which hitch is the best??
Thanks
Old 09-02-2015, 08:56 PM   #204
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Bottom line is, follow directions. Look at the weights, donít exceed them. If the manufacturer says xxx is the limit, donít rationalize it out and say theyíre fudging the numbers... (the insurance company & the ďauthoritiesĒ darn sure wonít).

Just because you love the gas mileage and the looks and the coolness of it all, face facts and reality - sometimes, using a truck to tow 8,000 lbs and 25+ feet is the right thing to do! Itís more than just getting the trailer to move forward, itís about braking and hills ní dales and stopping. Itís about going up a mountain and down without burning something up. The tail shouldnít wag the dog! Doesnít matter if the Germans, Swedes, Japanese, Americans, or Koreans make the vehicle... this country and it geography/topography is different. You donít see farmers/ranchers towing bales of hay or horses with a VW, Porsche or a Mercedes...

Why argue? Who cares? Drive what you want to drive. If you tow the last mile and suffer no significant problems then youíve had a successful RV lifestyle. This isnít a p*ssing contest of right and wrong... itís about the consequences of your decisions.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:09 PM   #205
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Well, that puts all the towing cliche's in one post, so it's all covered. Let's get back on topic.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
Old 09-02-2015, 09:15 PM   #206
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Well, that puts all the towing cliche's in one post, so it's all covered. Let's get back on topic.
That is the topic. Just because it doesnít agree with your reasoning doesnít make it a cliche. But I do understand your effort to discount it.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:23 PM   #207
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
Bottom line is, follow directions. Look at the weights, donít exceed them. If the manufacturer says xxx is the limit, donít rationalize it out and say theyíre fudging the numbers...

Just because you love the gas mileage and the looks and the coolness of it all, face facts and reality - sometimes, using a truck to tow 8,000 lbs and 25+ feet is the right thing to do! .

These sound like very good common sense advice. Nothing cliche about it.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:43 PM   #208
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
That is the topic. Just because it doesnít agree with your reasoning doesnít make it a cliche. But I do understand your effort to discount it.
Actually, I believe this was the topic, as started by the OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tino643 View Post
Almost 12000 km with my new VW Touareg Diesel and my 30 feet Airstream. It is a dream to tow....
But I agree with your posted comment: "Why argue?"

Jeff
Old 09-02-2015, 09:45 PM   #209
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
VW Touareg diesel and 31 foot Airstream

And now to the next round of debates about it is or is not necessary to follow factory recommendations and why ...
Maybe this subject is like religion and politics at the family reunion.
Just for fun go back and read the first post ...
Old 09-02-2015, 09:52 PM   #210
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Let's not have the debate again. Let's just learn something about Touaregs and Airstreams. Let it go guys, kindly go to a truck thread, we've heard enough of the cliche's.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
Closed Thread