Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 06:48 AM   #155
worried...happy...wo...ha

2015 25' FB International
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Toureg and a 31' Airstream.

I believe I posted the following in the wrong thread when I intended it for this thread.

"There they go again...."

It is amazing how many people on this forum boisterously ignore cargo capacity weight ratings and confidently assure others that it's fine to do so....
So, I am the OP and I simply invited people to share their experiences towing with a Touareg, Audi, P Cayenne - which in my mind also includes the X5 and GCs.

I did not really invite the group of people who come here and wave their index finger around. This is not the threat for providing this information because if I would like to read this stuff, I would go and look for it somewhere else.

The last 2 pages of discussion here is among people towing with ton Dodges, Denalis, and other trucks. Please guys and gals, take your discussion where it belongs, but leave this threat to people who actually tow with Touaregs, Audis and Cayennes.

Let's return to the topic so that this small group of people who indeed are towing their airstreams with the before mentioned SUVs can share their experiences and also to people who want information about how the experience actually is. We do not want to see the waving index fingers any more!

Thank you!

Old 08-24-2015, 07:55 AM   #156
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Knuff... Thnxs for posting. All the time this kind of thread highjacking takes place and it is unfortunate. We can only hope that folks get the message and think about posters like you who just want info that relates to your interest/questions.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:45 AM   #157
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tino643 View Post
Almost 12000 km whit my new VW Touareg Diesel and my 30 feet Airstream. It is a dream to tow. 15 miles per gallon. Better than my grand Cherokee 2011 and 2014 diesel. A got a new hitch is the Husky centerline. A add before the propride. A good system but heavy pricy and archaic! Whit my centerline, I don't have any sway at all!!!

As the "evil" instigator of thread high jacking the first responder in me appologizes for being concerned that tow vehicle ratings were being exceeded and people might get hurt.
However in my own defense, this is the original post (not from Knuff) and I don't see anything about "please share your experiences fellow non-truck TV users".
For what ever it is worth, if we didn't already have an F250 and needed a TV, we would likely have a Touareg or similar as well, but not a 30' - a 26' gives a better margin for options, full tanks and personal stuff.
Best wishes ... carry on.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:22 AM   #158
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrgtrakr View Post
As the "evil" instigator of thread high jacking the first responder in me appologizes for being concerned that tow vehicle ratings were being exceeded and people might get hurt.
However in my own defense, this is the original post (not from Knuff) and I don't see anything about "please share your experiences fellow non-truck TV users".
For what ever it is worth, if we didn't already have an F250 and needed a TV, we would likely have a Touareg or similar as well, but not a 30' - a 26' gives a better margin for options, full tanks and personal stuff.
Best wishes ... carry on.

One last finger wag huh?
Old 08-24-2015, 11:53 AM   #159
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
A full and expensive 360:

I bought a 2012 25FB Twin and a new 2012 GMC Denali 2500 HD Duramax/Allison Crew Short Box with Reese Dual Cam. We towed with this combination for nearly 2 years. It was my biased ultimate choice. My wife got tired of driving the truck when needed so I researched and we drove all of the Diesel SUVs ultimately selecting a 2014 ML350 Bluetec. I promptly drove it from Denver to CANAM for receiver reinforcement, brake controller and hitch setup. We drove this combination for a year and this was my "new" biased ultimate choice. We upgraded the trailer to a 2015 30' Bunk with full awning package and dual AC. With this combination I went to a ProPride. Taking the new 30' over Raton Pass the ML350 suddenly went into limp mode. Per MB's suggestion I pulled into a station on the other side of the pass, shut it down, waited, restarted and all was fine until the next heavy pass. It was in the shop in Phoenix for 4 days. No big deal we had a very nice new MB loaner to drive. They replaced several parts and sensors stating it was good to go. Same thing happened twice on the way home. After much deliberation we decided it was not worth the risk of damaging the ML350 and each time I took it in MB they wanted to know what I was doing with it when it failed. After a lot of deliberation I bought a 2015 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Short Box. It is now my Final Biased Ultimate Choice.

If I knew we would never need to pull more than a 3-4% grade with the ML350 I might not have traded up, but having done so I would not consider going back due to my feeling of overall safety with the truck.

If I am honest with myself the 2015 truck is safer, more stable, and designed to handle the load and pull the weight. Would I prefer the ML350 absolutely yes, but it is not the right vehicle all things considered and weighed for my family, not to say it is not for yours.

I can set the cruise at the published speed limit, put it in tow mode and enable the engine brake. Traffic permitting I can go up hill and down hill with out ever putting my foot on the throttle or brake. I never feel like the trailer is pushing the TV and panic maneuvers/stopping under all conditions is very solid.

I have panic stopped with all 4 combinations and the trucks under all conditions has been more stable. I nearly ran over a stupid kid that laid his crotch rocket down in front of me in Saint Louis during a motor cycle rally. I have often wondered if I had been pulling with anything other than the truck if I would have ran over him. I was within a few feet of crushing him. I could not see him from the cab it was not till it got out that I could see he was ok. He jumped up grabbed his bike over against the guard rail and took off. That was it!! It was the worst experience I have ever had driving and I can still see it replay just like it was yesterday. I am not an attorney but I know enough that had I been pulling my 8500 pound 30' travel trailer with a Doge Caravan and had run over the kid it would have been a liability nightmare.

With the ML350 especially on curves under heavy breaking you can feel the chassis load to the one side and you can feel it pushing it out. This is not the case with the truck especially since I only pull the bars up about half way leaving 700 pounds on the tongue.

We each have our own preferences, biases and ultimately choose what we feel meets all our various needs at a safely level that we can live with.

To each his own forever happy and safe travels.

On a side note I now have a Garmin Dash Cam mounted permanently in the truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012 25' and 2012 2500 HD.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	246222   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012 25 and 2014 ML350.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	246223  

Name:	IMG_4632.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	246224   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	246225  

Name:	IMG_1931.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	246226   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1934.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	246227  

Old 08-24-2015, 01:47 PM   #160
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012FB View Post
If I am honest with myself the 2015 truck is safer, more stable, and designed to handle the load and pull the weight.
I never feel like the trailer is pushing the TV and panic maneuvers/stopping under all conditions is very solid.
I have panic stopped with all 4 combinations and the trucks under all conditions has been more stable.
I am not an attorney but I know enough that had I been pulling my 8500 pound 30' travel trailer with a Doge Caravan and had run over the kid it would have been a liability nightmare.
With the ML350 especially on curves under heavy breaking you can feel the chassis load to the one side and you can feel it pushing it out. This is not the case with the truck
Thank you very much for your honest report. Its great to read first hand experience of using both a modified underrated TV and a properly rated TV. Your observations about the truck's performance (which I am quoting) is the exact opposite of what the small tow vehicle folks on this forum claim.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:29 PM   #161
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
Thank you very much for your honest report. Its great to read first hand experience of using both a modified underrated TV and a properly rated TV. Your observations about the truck's performance (which I am quoting) is the exact opposite of what the small tow vehicle folks on this forum claim.
As one who doesn't even own or tow an Airstream or anything else, how would you know this report is honest and the exact opposite reports are then dishonest?

I can assure you my reports are honest, what if everyone's are honest? What's your experience?

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
Old 08-24-2015, 02:38 PM   #162
3 Rivet Member

Mountain View , California
Would you be so kind and check in the docs what kind of parts were replaced? Was the car under warranty?

Quote:
(...) Taking the new 30' over Raton Pass the ML350 suddenly went into limp mode. Per MB's suggestion I pulled into a station on the other side of the pass, shut it down, waited, restarted and all was fine until the next heavy pass. It was in the shop in Phoenix for 4 days. No big deal we had a very nice new MB loaner to drive. They replaced several parts and sensors stating it was good to go. Same thing happened twice on the way home. (...)
Old 08-24-2015, 02:48 PM   #163
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:

I bought a 2012 25FB Twin and a new 2012 GMC Denali 2500 HD Duramax/Allison Crew Short Box with Reese Dual Cam. We towed with this combination for nearly 2 years. It was my biased ultimate choice. My wife got tired of driving the truck when needed so I researched and we drove all of the Diesel SUVs ultimately selecting a 2014 ML350 Bluetec. I promptly drove it from Denver to CANAM for receiver reinforcement, brake controller and hitch setup. We drove this combination for a year and this was my "new" biased ultimate choice. We upgraded the trailer to a 2015 30' Bunk with full awning package and dual AC. With this combination I went to a ProPride. Taking the new 30' over Raton Pass the ML350 suddenly went into limp mode. Per MB's suggestion I pulled into a station on the other side of the pass, shut it down, waited, restarted and all was fine until the next heavy pass. It was in the shop in Phoenix for 4 days. No big deal we had a very nice new MB loaner to drive. They replaced several parts and sensors stating it was good to go. Same thing happened twice on the way home. After much deliberation we decided it was not worth the risk of damaging the ML350 and each time I took it in MB they wanted to know what I was doing with it when it failed. After a lot of deliberation I bought a 2015 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Short Box. It is now my Final Biased Ultimate Choice.

If I knew we would never need to pull more than a 3-4% grade with the ML350 I might not have traded up, but having done so I would not consider going back due to my feeling of overall safety with the truck.

If I am honest with myself the 2015 truck is safer, more stable, and designed to handle the load and pull the weight. Would I prefer the ML350 absolutely yes, but it is not the right vehicle all things considered and weighed for my family, not to say it is not for yours.

I can set the cruise at the published speed limit, put it in tow mode and enable the engine brake. Traffic permitting I can go up hill and down hill with out ever putting my foot on the throttle or brake. I never feel like the trailer is pushing the TV and panic maneuvers/stopping under all conditions is very solid.

I have panic stopped with all 4 combinations and the trucks under all conditions has been more stable. I nearly ran over a stupid kid that laid his crotch rocket down in front of me in Saint Louis during a motor cycle rally. I have often wondered if I had been pulling with anything other than the truck if I would have ran over him. I was within a few feet of crushing him. I could not see him from the cab it was not till it got out that I could see he was ok. He jumped up grabbed his bike over against the guard rail and took off. That was it!! It was the worst experience I have ever had driving and I can still see it replay just like it was yesterday. I am not an attorney but I know enough that had I been pulling my 8500 pound 30' travel trailer with a Doge Caravan and had run over the kid it would have been a liability nightmare.

With the ML350 especially on curves under heavy breaking you can feel the chassis load to the one side and you can feel it pushing it out. This is not the case with the truck especially since I only pull the bars up about half way leaving 700 pounds on the tongue.

We each have our own preferences, biases and ultimately choose what we feel meets all our various needs at a safely level that we can live with.

To each his own forever happy and safe travels.

On a side note I now have a Garmin Dash Cam mounted permanently in the truck.
Thanks for giving us an honest, detailed, direct-experience report comparing towing with a vehicle that was pushed to the limit (or beyond) its manufacturer design parameters to one which was working well within its design parameters.

It is amazing that one might question the veracity of your lengthy, detailed experience.

The stubborn defensiveness found on this forum, regarding using tow vehicles that are pushed to the limits and beyond the manufacturers stated design parameters, is absolutely incredible.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:38 PM   #164
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
Would you be so kind and check in the docs what kind of parts were replaced? Was the car under warranty?
Yes it is under warranty. Please let me know if there are any other questions I can answer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5910.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	246237   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5912.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	246238  

Name:	IMG_5911.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	246239   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5913.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	246240  

Old 08-24-2015, 03:39 PM   #165
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post

It is amazing that one might question the veracity of your lengthy, detailed experience.

The stubborn defensiveness found on this forum, regarding using tow vehicles that are pushed to the limits and beyond the manufacturers stated design parameters, is absolutely incredible.
I do not question the truthfulness of his post.
But to many, if not most of the members here having the financial ability to do that kind of experimenting is well beyond their means.
So for some, making do with the TV they have - even if that means fudging some on the "numbers" is the only way they can get out with their families and enjoy the great outdoors.
You may condemn them for their poor choices.
But I will commend them for living their dreams.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:44 PM   #166
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Yes it is under warranty. Please let me know if there are any other questions I can answer.
Service report states there was an open circuit on the wiring to the oxygen sensor.

Not sure how that relates to towing a trailer.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:50 PM   #167
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultradog View Post
But I will commend them for living their dreams.
Living with the results of an accident by fault or otherwise knowing that perhaps it could have been prevented or lessened is the question each must answer on their own. I respect each and every individuals decision with regard to their TV and Trailer combination, selection of hitch, tires, pressure monitors etc etc.. I am not here to question, just reporting my experience. Perhaps it will be valuable to some who are considering future dreams and folly to others.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:04 PM   #168
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Service report states there was an open circuit on the wiring to the oxygen sensor.

Not sure how that relates to towing a trailer.
Pulling a long steep grade with an overloaded TV has everything to do with it. Does it not?? What am I missing from your prospective?

What I was told quietly off the record by the service manager at the Chandler dealership was that it was turbo heat soak. Hence the erratic turbo temp reading and high soot content. On the second report they did not replace the oxygen sensor but the whole CDI engine control unit which was a wild guess that MB Germany recommended.

I could keep going. Please PM me with a phone number and I am happy to chat about it.