Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-11-2017, 06:51 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Old Bridge , New Jersey
VW Diesel Buy Back. What to do?

Last month my son had to return his car from a lease to VW. Numerous VW dealers in North Jersey refused to take back the car claiming they had no room to park it due to all the diesels coming back.
That kind of scared me a little bit since my 2015 Touareg is my one and only car and tow vehicle. I love the car and a I'm hesitant to part with it but don't want to loose 60K. I would like to hear from VW diesel owners. What are your opinions? Sell back to VW or keep the car? Will it be totally un-sellable or will it become more valuable? What are the options without going to a truck?
LiaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:20 PM   #2
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Ummm I'm assuming that your Touareg is a diesel? If so, read this

http://blog.caranddriver.com/everyth...sions-scandal/

As for keeping it or letting it go; WOW difficult question. I guess my criteria would be VW dealer support of my vehicle. If getting parts and service starts to become difficult it will be time to dump the Touareg as these vehicles, especially 09 to? models years are known to be hanger queens.

My boss had a 09 and it spent most of its life in the dealership. He ended up selling it for $4,000 with only 253,000 kms (158,000 miles) on it. He was with VW.

Will they ever be worth more one day....I very much doubt it, if you can't get parts for it and it's not running..........I doubt you'd be allowed to import parts for it and dealers will be shedding parts like crazy if VW totally bails on diesels in NA; which it seems they are doing.

Goodluck
Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Is there a law that says you have to get rid of your car or sell it back? I have a neighbor with a VW diesel and he is keeping his. He says it is the best car he has ever owned.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
VW Buy Back

We have a 2015 VW Passat TDI. We absolutely love the vehicle and have decided to keep it. We are done with phase I of the fix and notice no real difference in mileage or performance. VW has been prompt on the promised payments and great at servicing the vehicle. They have also extended the warranty 3 additional years up to 160,000. We plan on keeping the vehicle for a long time.
Most VW owners we talk to, love their diesel vehicle, and there is nothing else out there comparable.
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:35 PM   #5
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
I can't understand what you said about dealers not taking back your son's car that was coming off lease, because they 'didn't have room' to park it? Huh? Just take it back to the dealer he leased it from. There seems to be missing information here. But anyway, that has no impact on your question.

The settlement for the 2nd Generation 3.0 Litre TDI, of which your 2015 Toureg is one, is as follows:

IF VW can come up with an emissions fix by October, your only option is to take the fix, and a restitution cash payment which varies based on your model/trim level of of your Toureg.

VW has until October 2017 to come up with a fix, approved by EPA. If they CAN'T, then they will have to buy back your car and give you an even higher restitution amount mentioned in the previous option. The buyback amount for a 2015 Toureg with 'normal' mileage will be from $55,000 to $70,000 give or take, depending on your model/trim, plus a restitution payment of $13,000 to $19,000, depending on model/trim level.

See the charts with the exact numbers here:

https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/doc..._exhibit_a.pdf

So right now, there is no decision for you to make...you need to wait and see if a fix is approved, and if so, you'll get a chunk of cash and a fixed car. If not approved, then they'll buy it back PLUS pay you the restitution cash.

More on the settlement specifics here: https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/case...30l-settlement

I assume you've registered at www.vwcourtsettlement.com so you will be kept up to date, and receive the appropriate offers, when they are available?
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:40 PM   #6
BicycleStreamers

2016 28' Pendleton
Buxton , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Is there a law that says you have to get rid of your car or sell it back? I have a neighbor with a VW diesel and he is keeping his. He says it is the best car he has ever owned.
Awchief, I don't believe there's a law that states you have to get rid of your car or sell it back. My understanding is that you just don't get the thousands of "settlement" dollars they offer in addition to the Blue Book value from Oct of '15 (if you're selling it back to VW). You don't get those dollars if they don't upgrade your car to the new emisssions standards.

We turn in our daily driver 2012 Jetta TDI next week. That's a fine car that is fun to drive but I'm happy to let it go with the $$$'s they're offering.

Jay

"Don't forget, be excellent to each other!" Bill or Ted
BicycleStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:48 PM   #7
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbee View Post
We have a 2015 VW Passat TDI. We absolutely love the vehicle and have decided to keep it. We are done with phase I of the fix and notice no real difference in mileage or performance. VW has been prompt on the promised payments and great at servicing the vehicle. They have also extended the warranty 3 additional years up to 160,000. We plan on keeping the vehicle for a long time.
Most VW owners we talk to, love their diesel vehicle, and there is nothing else out there comparable.
Your 2015 Passat is a "generation 3) vehicle which is a different settlement group than the pre-2015 2 liters, and the 3 liter vehicles, which include the Toureg. No fix yet for the gen 1 or 2 two liters, or the 3 liters.

If they came up with a fix for my 2014 Sportwagen I'd consider it along with the restitution cash, if the fix didn't impact power or economy too badly. It's a crime that if they don't 480,000 cars will go to the crusher.

Not sure how they could come up with a fix for the 2015 2 liters but not earlier years. Anyway, enjoy your fixed car AND the nice cash restitution payment.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:11 PM   #8
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Is there a risk of different states or provinces refusing to issue plates for vehicles that haven't been made compliant, at some point in the future?
jcl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:36 AM   #9
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Is there a risk of different states or provinces refusing to issue plates for vehicles that haven't been made compliant, at some point in the future?
We will see.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:45 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Yes, if they are enforced.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:59 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
My brother-in-law owns a 2012 Passat TDI. He sent me this text when I asked him about it.

"Doesn't have to turn it in. 6 states have not settled with VW all the others have including Commufoma. With them accepting funds they cannot force buy back, they have to keep letting people register them even if a fix is never approved. The Gen 3 engines have had the first part of fix done and people are very satisfied. They also give a killer warranty on fuel system, pollution controls all parts relating to them. The fix for the Gen 1 has been submitted and should be approved soon. Gen 2 is what ours is is close to Gen 3 so just waiting. We can do buy back until December of 2018 and the deal is you get what the vehicle was worth in September of 2015 the values have been frozen. I can get the fix and get about $7,000 if I do nothing no restitution. The 2015 VW'S have been released by EPA to sell, and are getting pretty good prices. "

Kelvin
Old 04-12-2017, 07:09 AM   #12
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
"Doesn't have to turn it in. 6 states have not settled with VW all the others have including Commufoma. With them accepting funds they cannot force buy back, they have to keep letting people register them even if a fix is never approved. The Gen 3 engines have had the first part of fix done and people are very satisfied. They also give a killer warranty on fuel system, pollution controls all parts relating to them. The fix for the Gen 1 has been submitted and should be approved soon. Gen 2 is what ours is is close to Gen 3 so just waiting. We can do buy back until December of 2018 and the deal is you get what the vehicle was worth in September of 2015 the values have been frozen. I can get the fix and get about $7,000 if I do nothing no restitution. The 2015 VW'S have been released by EPA to sell, and are getting pretty good prices. "
Kelvin
What Kelvin posted. As part of the settlement, states were offered money to use toward pollution mitigation, etc. The amount was based on the number of offending vehicles sold. In those states, besides taking a buyback and or fix plus cash, a third little publicized option is to just keep the car, and don't fix, or get any money. The state who accepted the mitigation money have to agree to never refuse to register the vehicles that chose this option.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:26 PM   #13
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
VW TDI From An Opposite Perspective - Buyer

PS - Lia, I recall when you posted about getting it down in FL I think & installing the brake controller &/or hitch down there, & it's a relatively new car. So you may be able to stretch keeping it until the new warranty is over, & then do the turn in at that point.

We've been looking for a nice 2008-14 Porsche Cayenne S (gas V8) for a while, & had left the TDI off our search due to the debacle - especially being in CA & long term owners of our cars.

So a couple of months ago when the early announcements of the 3.0L V6 TDI settlement came out, I checked with my long time VW/Porsche/Audi factories certified mechanic/tech (for 42 years now) whether we should now consider the TDI Cayenne in our search.

He said that - while it's a wonderful engine & engineering feat, & that all of his V/A/P customers who have them LOVES them (as is the case with those on here) - VW, Porsche & Audi are washing their hands of them & whenever the parts are gone, they're gone & the dealers won't continue to work on them at a certain point - sooner than you (me) think!

This is an Austrian guy who started with the top V/A/P dealer in Austria in the 1960's & loves their products!

So my advice would be to turn yours in, & look for something else which you like & will be supported long term. As with pretty much all of the Euro SUVs, the newer V/A/P trio of Treg/Q7/Cay are have now gone away from V8's to turbo V6's with similar or better power than the V8's (since 2015 for the CAy, Treg & Audi were 2014 or 13 IIRC).

So there's my expert tech's position & my opinion as a buyer - I won't touch a V/A/P 3.0L V6 TDI!

Good Luck!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:42 PM   #14
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_T View Post
So you may be able to stretch keeping it until the new warranty is over, & then do the turn in at that point.

So my advice would be to turn yours in,
Not an option for her yet...and might never be. They have come up with an approved fix for 2015 3.0L cars including her Toureg, which will involve a recall/fix, AND receive the restitution cash. If the fix isn't 'timely', which I believe was sometime this year, then they will revert to a buyback. But an owner does not have the option to choose between a fix or a buyback at this point.

All she can do is wait it out. If I have this wrong despite reading a ton on the various settlements depending on year and model...maybe someone with better knowledge of a 2015 3.0L can chime in and correct me.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:33 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
i have a 2014 touareg tdi and am waiting on vw regarding the supposed repair. with 400 plus pounds of torque, it easily pulls away from 90% of other vehicles; however, i wish they would just buy it back. after having around 10 vw's over the years, i am probably done with vw.
coasttocoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:38 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
I have a 2014 Touareg TDi and have been impressed with its reliability and performance and have been very happy with it.

My advice to you is to join one of the lawsuits relating to the VW diesel issue. They provide all the required information and inform you what you have to do and when.

I have joined Hagens Berman; look on their website for full details:
https://www.hbsslaw.com/cases/volkswagenaudi-emissions

You'll also be surprised at what else you can find on their website!
Peter
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:16 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaG View Post
Last month my son had to return his car from a lease to VW. Numerous VW dealers in North Jersey refused to take back the car claiming they had no room to park it due to all the diesels coming back.
That kind of scared me a little bit since my 2015 Touareg is my one and only car and tow vehicle. I love the car and a I'm hesitant to part with it but don't want to loose 60K. I would like to hear from VW diesel owners. What are your opinions? Sell back to VW or keep the car? Will it be totally un-sellable or will it become more valuable? What are the options without going to a truck?
I don't understand if in fixed time lease after time fulfilled you don't have any monetary in lease. Are they telling him they are giving it to him or has to keep paying on lease, like stated time is fulfilled on lease willing to give back , it's there car.... Unless some thing in lease different I have never leased nor ever will, no write offs plus keep long time, such as my 2000 silverado pur. in 1999, has 65,000 miles like new kept in heated shed very rarely driven in snow or rain. Have car for every day use , now 6 yrs. old w/45,000 miles. I don't want argument for leas or not. Lease not for me. My sister had to have leased car cost was more than ownership plus had to give up at end of lease. IMO she wasn't to smart. Only saying about my sister no one else intelligence.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:23 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Williamsburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by coasttocoast View Post
i have a 2014 touareg tdi and am waiting on vw regarding the supposed repair. with 400 plus pounds of torque, it easily pulls away from 90% of other vehicles; however, i wish they would just buy it back. after having around 10 vw's over the years, i am probably done with vw.

I have a 2015 Touareg TDI and just wish they would buy it back! Between the omissions scandal and the ambiguity surrounding it's ability to accommodate a weight distribution hitch I'm really frustrated. I've heard there should be more clarity in May of this year but not counting on it.
sonny.bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:59 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Clovis , California
It was a no brainer for me. I just sold my '13 Passat back to VW. I was paid $1100 more than I paid for the car new including tax and license. Additionally I had previously received $1000 in total additional gift card and dealer credit money (paid for new tires for my Bronco and other things.) I don't understand the dealer not taking it back. If you filed the claim and complete the paperwork, VW gives you an appointment date and time to turn the car in. A factory representative takes care of the transaction without direct dealership involvement. So VW basically paid me $2100 to drive there car for 3 years and 45k miles. Two things to remember about keeping it. 1) If it's totalled in a collision, you don't get to sell it back and will only get what the insurance company wants to pay you. 2) 2 months prior to my Buyback date, the State of California refused to allow me to renew my registration unless the vehicle had been fixed. I had to get a letter from my VW service department stating that the fix was not available and physically carry it into a DMV office before they allowed me to renew my registration.
blahargoue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 04:45 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Boy, don't we all wish we knew. I too am hanging onto my VW Diesel, but my DH thinks I should trade it in.