Old 04-02-2014, 04:30 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
It seems to me in reviewing the stats, most of the 16-19 foot options are within spec for towing with her current vehicle...

The bits of towing advice from folks about the relative arbitrariness of the stated "towing capacity" may be moot if we are talking about most of these models (especially vintage, which seem to fall within towing parameters per spec, so no "conflict there")....

So before we continue on discussions of towing capacity and philosophical quandries (that are well known to me and most other "regulars" on this forum)....let us perhaps get past towing questions and move to TT choice anyway...if that is ok with folks (although if you have something critical to add, I by no means am disuading you from sharing on the subject of towing at this point).

Question: if she goes for an "older" used unit that needs no work really, we are talking what 10-20K (more close to 20 if all in perfect order).

If we are talking 15+K I am guessing she would be looking at financing (although I am not 100% sure of this)...what would be a ballpark monthly paymet or interest rate on such a purchase assuming excellent credit...mhony mentioned a point that buying new for a shorter airstream may be "close enough" to consider as an alternative....but even at 15K with relatively higher interest, this would still be smaller payment and shorter term of the loan??

Also, considerations for vintage units as far as how much work, money etc she can expect to put into such a unit...

yeah, that may be too broad a question I guess.....

I have been playing up 19 ish footers, but I told her she needs to go sit in some units and decide for herself.

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:34 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I don't think anyone of us can answer financing questions because everyone's credit history and borrowing ability is different. I'd probably get a decent interest rate on a personal loan from a bank or credit union that knows me and something altogether different at another. You might have better luck looking into a line of credit as those usually have better interest rates, especially if they can be secured against a home.

cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:18 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
USAA Bank has rates on new RV purchases that range from 6.9% for the smallest shortest loans to 3.99% for the biggest longest (>100K and >240 months)

Great company to insure with as well.

Must be a member of course. They also do refinances on RVs.

We have all our policies with them. Recently financed a 2014 E-Class @ 2.4%
Old 04-02-2014, 07:13 PM   #32

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
<<Mod Mode>>

Let's take this to heart and keep things in check going forward, we cleaned up many of the off topic and chiding material.

The fact that you refer to staff intervention tells us you all know better so let's keep things on topic and "nice" going forward. Given the seemingly inflammatory nature of TV[B][B] threads... This is not a request gang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
Lets not get this thread locked - Pharm was looking for advice about towing with a specific car. Let's just present all the facts without getting all emotional about it.

Those are:

The Volvo is rated higher in Europe than in the US. Why, we're not sure.
The available payload is excellent.
Engine power output is ample for all but the heaviest trailers on all but the steepest inclines.
The car is sturdy and well built, with a sophisticated suspension.
Capabilities can further be improved by using a strong hitch and cooling the transmission - installing a tow package.
It has a proven track record as a successful tow vehicle.

The rest is up to Pharm and his friend.

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:22 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I've never heard yet if a caravel

Old 04-02-2014, 08:43 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
The Caravel was a model available in the 60's and early 70's and came in 17 and 18 foot lengths.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:17 PM   #35

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
In addition to the older "Caravel" cameront120 mentioned, there was also the "Caravelle" that was a silver (Airstream) version of one of the Argosy Minuet, a narrower-than-standard trailer built for a couple of years around 1980, right around when they discontinued Argosy trailers for a couple of years. It didn't get the Argosy wrap windows at the front corners, but it did have the Airstream 5-panel aluminum endcaps.

They're rare, though... I'd like to find one for our "small" trailer after we get the 28' Argosy sorted and perhaps sell the 24'...

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:46 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Cool - such a rich history - need to google some pics

Is there a book you can buy categorizing a selection of some key models over the years? That would be cool coffee table book - and I digress

Old 04-03-2014, 03:48 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
"Wanderlust: Airstream at 75" is a nice coffee table book about the history of Airstream.
Funny thing is it is $40 from Airstream, but $120 from other sources.
After I realized that I ordered mine from the mother ship.
Even with $16 shipping it is less expensive than anywhere else.
I ordered some other things at the same time to get the most out of my $16 shipping.
It is a beautiful book and there are limited supplies. When they're gone, they're gone.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:16 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Cool - such a rich history - need to google some pics

Is there a book you can buy categorizing a selection of some key models over the years? That would be cool coffee table book - and I digress
In case you're not already familiar, Vintageairstream.com has a comprehensive photo archive of models by year. It's not a coffee table book, but is useful. And there are often several examples of each model year to explore the different options that were available.

Vintage Airstream Photo Archives - Vintage Airstream
Old 04-03-2014, 01:30 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Excellent!! Thanks everyone - I'll pass it on.

Old 04-03-2014, 01:39 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I saw this XC90 today. It has a V8 and AWD. It is almost as large as the Tahoe next to it.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1396550379.706733.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	869.4 KB
ID:	208894
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:50 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Vintage Kin Owner
Katy , Texas

Hey PharmGeek,

I’ve actually been waiting for more reports of you travels withyour family in your new A/S but wanted to add a thought about your friend’s TTchoices. The Argosy Minuet 6.0 meter DXB-SATX mentioned is a great littletrailer. They were only built for a few years in late 70’s but they are similarin size to the Caravel. Plus, they have the big pano windows you see on currentA/S’s and the 6.0s had aluminum composite floors – no rot! The 6.0 is about 19ft, they made a few that were longer, up to 7.3 meter but they probably willnot have the aluminum flooring. These were built to be light weight in responseto the mid 70’s gas shortages. I have a front dinette/side gaucho model and itis great for two adults and two small/medium dogs for a week or so. They do nothave a grey tank for the shower, but do have a grey tank for the kitchen/bathsink as well as black tank for the toilet.

Mine has had significant updating to make it comfortable andreliable – new axel, new a/c/ new plumbing/WH/upholstery /etc. I pulled it fromFlorida to Houston with a Buick Rendezvous (anemic 3.2ltr V-6) and it towedgreat. It would have been a challenge in the mountains, but on flat I-10 it didgreat. I now use an old Lincoln Navigator that is way overkill but dog friendly. A 4.0 ltranything would be ideal. It had propane but no water and a weight ticket showedme it was around 2,260 lb. I guess it is close to 2,800 lb. loaded to camp. Also,they don’t seem to be as high priced as the shiny ones. I could be tempted in the $12.0k range.

Granted it is beige, not silver, but it also doesn’t need tobe polished. Lots of choices out there, if she ever gets to Houston I’ll beglad to show her mine.

Whatever she finds will start a world ofadventure.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:40 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
we had gone to top sail hill for canopener back in january then the weather here turned to crap until more recently and we have not done any camping...it has remain winterized with the pink stuff (which I felt accomplished to do on my own, yeah, I know, pretty basic, baby steps)...

In a couple weeks I will spend a weekend camping locally at a local state park with my son, brother and nephew while my wife and daughter will be out of town, that will be great fun...then in may I have a 1 week trip back to top sail hill for family vacation, REALLY excited about that...then last week of may I am going with a few friends camping in south Alabama to an off road ATV/Jeep park...1000 acres of off road fun for a weekend....we will all crash in the AS, friends are bringing their jeep and a polaris RZR...

June we hit vogel state park in GA for a 4 day weekend (just the wife and I) for our 7 year anniversary.

And otherwise, we will be doing alot of weekend camping on weekends in between and this fall..next year we are looking at going to tybee island or hilton head...and possibly the fort wilderness in fall of 2015

Anyway, all good things to come.

I will certainly pass on the info about the minuet for her interest...feel free to PM me a few photos if you like and I can pass them on to her.