Old 08-12-2016, 01:19 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Southeastern , Pennsylvania
Upgrades to Older F-150?

We are newbies. My wife and I are considering buying a new 23 foot International Signature or Flying Cloud. We have a 2007 F-150 Supercrew that has been a great family car but has 137,000 miles. It has the 5.4 litre engine. We want to use it as our tow vehicle and it satisfies all of the weight and load tests.

I know I need to install a brake controller. It did not come with any tow package. Fortunately it is about ready for new tires so I will replace them with higher load rated tires.

Should I do any other upgrades such as shocks. Any other ideas. Thank you.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:28 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Southeastern , Pennsylvania
Gentlemen and Ladies:

Anything I need to do other than a brake controller and new tires? What are your thoughts about letting an old horse (10 years old and 137,000 miles) pull a new wagon?

We are new to this and very much appreciate your thoughts. I realize no one can predict the future but is anyone pulling a trailer with a high mileage F-150?

Again thank you.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Clear Lake Shores , Texas
I am sure your older truck will pull the trailer just fine. We have a 2014 XLT with the amazing Eco Boost V6, tow package, and integrated brake controller. This is probably somewhat better as a tow vehicle than your older truck but then again I imagine yours is paid for:-)
Old 08-17-2016, 06:01 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I pull with a 2007 model diesel truck with 175000 and have no plans to change, In a way yours is just getting broken in good. I assume the 150 has disc brakes all around? No tow package? So you may need mirrors and you may want to look at a transmission cooler and temp gauge. And do check the hitch for the welds and for rust. I have seen a ford factory hitch part with the truck one time. You might want to check and consider replacing the hoses and the serpentine belt. Really, if it is a well maintained daily driver it should be fine for quite a while. You could certainly try pulling first but in the west with 20 mile upgrades a gauge and cooler could be a help.
Maybe a flush and change of transmission fluid and a drain and replace of the differential fluid. Lots more load on those components pulling. One thing to watch after you start pulling is the brake rotors. Pulling puts a lot more load on the brakes and some Ford rotors warp.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:15 AM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil1ben View Post
Gentlemen and Ladies:

Anything I need to do other than a brake controller and new tires? What are your thoughts about letting an old horse (10 years old and 137,000 miles) pull a new wagon?

We are new to this and very much appreciate your thoughts. I realize no one can predict the future but is anyone pulling a trailer with a high mileage F-150?

Again thank you.
I would add a brake controller, transmission cooler, and tow mirrors. At 137,000 miles you should be fine. I would make sure your PM is up to date and that your belts and cooling system components are in good condition.

We pull with an 03 F150 with 266,000 on the odometer. I added the brake controller along with associated wiring and an aux transmission cooler when we started towing the RV. I replace our belts and hoses every 6 years and change the oil every 5,000 miles.

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Get a programmer for your 5.4 from Mike's 5 Star. I recommend you get the 87 octane tow/performance program. It will wake up that 5.4 and re-tune your shift patterns. I have one on my wife's 2007 Lincoln LT and the difference vs the stock is amazing.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:13 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
It all depends on how you maintained it, but the 25's seem to be tongue heavy so a set of air bags my help a lot. Make sure and use a good wd hitch setup ( shaking head even posting that). You well definitely need a brake controller. Do some research and figure out what the factory tow package consists of for your truck. It's not always the transmission that needs a bigger cooler.