Old 07-13-2012, 06:00 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by bovk View Post
I knew,I will get killed here :=) but the fact is that I tried to sway my rig enough to get confidence that it does not increase the amplitude of the sways. So I will stay with my setup, keep checking my brakes and brake controller adjustment and in some years we can compare the notes.
I understand and can respect you none set up. And that you are satisfied with it. But you trying to make it sway is not the same as an emergency situation where it will sway. (AND IT WILL) I tow my tractor and flat bed without a WD. but not more than 20 miles or so and at slow speeds. Does it sway? nope but it would in an emergency situation. I guarantee it.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Mesquite , Texas
I think BovK was talking about friction sway control. If that is the case, I agree that it is virtually useless. Even with two bars and properly set up weight distribution, I see very little actual value in friction only sway control. Really heavy truck / really light trailer, maybe it isn't an issue. With a heavy trailer or long trailer, it becomes an issue unless you have chosen a class B tractor or similar as a TV.

All that said, the concern over the "handling" weight of any hitching system is a concern to me.

The hitch head (or stinger in the case of PP or HaHa) in addition to the potential weight of rock tamer mud flaps or similar is certainly a concern as I get older and less nimble

About 10 years ago, I separated a shoulder while we were on vacation. I was towing an SOB at the time. Didn't have have rock tamers or anything else. My lovely bride still struggled a bit getting the WD head inserted into the receiver. I take care now to make sure we don't get into a position where she can't physically get us hooked back up.

YMMV.

Wayne

Old 07-13-2012, 06:50 PM   #17
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner61 View Post
I think BovK was talking about friction sway control. If that is the case, I agree that it is virtually useless. Even with two bars and properly set up weight distribution, I see very little actual value in friction only sway control. Really heavy truck / really light trailer, maybe it isn't an issue. With a heavy trailer or long trailer, it becomes an issue unless you have chosen a class B tractor or similar as a TV.

All that said, the concern over the "handling" weight of any hitching system is a concern to me.

The hitch head (or stinger in the case of PP or HaHa) in addition to the potential weight of rock tamer mud flaps or similar is certainly a concern as I get older and less nimble

About 10 years ago, I separated a shoulder while we were on vacation. I was towing an SOB at the time. Didn't have have rock tamers or anything else. My lovely bride still struggled a bit getting the WD head inserted into the receiver. I take care now to make sure we don't get into a position where she can't physically get us hooked back up.

YMMV.

Wayne
Why don't you just leave the hitch head in the receiver until you get back home? It would never occur to me to remove mine while on vacation. At home, you could rig a small hoist to assist with the weight on removal or insertion.

Have you ever used properly adjusted friction sway control? It would be my guess not, even though you may have thought it was adjusted properly. I will guarantee you that it is helpful. I have towed the same trailers with and without. However, It is definitely not as effective as my ProPride.

Ken
Old 07-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Friction sway control virtually useless. What if . . .

You have a basic weight distribution hitch w/o sway control, on a four-lane hwy cresting a hill and heading down 8% grade. Shift down or use engine braking to hold speed at 65 mph. The trailer is unbraked and wants to overtake you, so it begins to sway a bit. A tractor/trailer blows by you just as you come past a hill to a ravine with a strong side gust. You reach for the brake controller but too late.

That's a scenario where friction sway control may have saved your neck, maybe a chance to reach the brake controller, maybe a chance to slow down. Propride/Hensley would not allow any sway (although there is a risk the whole rig can break traction).

doug k
Old 07-13-2012, 08:06 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I think bovk has a set up where he probably feels comfortable with nothing. That is fine and if it works for him that is also fine. I see plenty of rigs going down the road with no WD.
I just thought it was uncalled for to call sway control or WD useless and a waste of money, and that it doesn't provide any safety factor. It's a false statement. For his setup maybe it isn't but he didn't state that, he made a general statement that is false.

Andersen is the lightest set up out there that has a built in Sway control. I get mine monday for my 3000 mile plus trip to Oregon and Washington and back. I will be posting how it goes.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:51 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Thanks for all the input and discussion. We have decided to go with the Reese High Performance Dual Cam Anti sway. A lot of my reading indicates it is hard to beat for cost and function. I realize there is still the "heavy head" lifting problem, but I can adjust to leave in on the truck more than I do now.