Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-27-2016, 08:48 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
 
Chris_P's Avatar
 
1982 31' Excella
Montgomery , Texas
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 15
Unknown part of tongue

Would anybody be able to tell me what the plate looking thing is in this photo? Is it part of the weight distribution hitch system?
Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1474987688.603722.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  110.2 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1474987725.741748.jpg
Views: 806
Size:  123.7 KB
__________________

__________________
Chris P
'82 Excella 31'
Lake Conroe
Montgomery, TX
Chris_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master
 
HowieE's Avatar
 
1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,767
Images: 12
I do not think it was anything to do with a commercial WD system. However it does look like it may have been a home made system.
__________________

__________________
WBCCI 12156 AIR 3144 WACHUNG TAC NJ6
2004 Excursion 4x4
1991 34 ft. Excella +220,000 miles, new laminated flooring, new upholstery, new 3200 lbs axles

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master
 
AWCHIEF's Avatar
 
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 8,048
Images: 33
Looks to be backyard engineered.
__________________
MICHAEL

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:18 AM   #4
Rivet Master
 
1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,941
Looks like they were using Reese WD, bars but lost the brackets for the trailer. They must have just hooked the chain links over the top of the plate into the notch. It would sort of work but did not give any of the self centering action of the later twin cam models.
To save money, you could just try to do the same as them, but I would recommend you buy a properly designed system. Your listing does not indicate the size of the trailer or the TV. Better safe than sorry.
__________________
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:10 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member
 
1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
Looks like they were using Reese WD, bars but lost the brackets for the trailer. They must have just hooked the chain links over the top of the plate into the notch. It would sort of work but did not give any of the self centering action of the later twin cam models.
To save money, you could just try to do the same as them, but I would recommend you buy a properly designed system. Your listing does not indicate the size of the trailer or the TV. Better safe than sorry.
If that is in fact what it is, it would sort of work if the jack was strong enough to raise the rear of the TV with the trailer hitch. The weight would be transferred when the jack was raised. That said, what would the round part on the rear of the plate be for?
__________________
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master
 
1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,941
Most people use the tongue jack to lift the front of the trailer/back of the TV, after the ball has been engaged. This minimizes the stress and potential danger of just using the lever bar to lift the chain over-center. It does put a bit of stress on the tongue jack, but is better than a broken finger.
__________________
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 01:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,313
Blog Entries: 1
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
Most people use the tongue jack to lift the front of the trailer/back of the TV, after the ball has been engaged. This minimizes the stress and potential danger of just using the lever bar to lift the chain over-center. It does put a bit of stress on the tongue jack, but is better than a broken finger.
I would never try to fasten snap ups w/out raising front w/jack. If pipe slips off snap up can be worse than broken finger, minor would be shins banged up to other broken bones or worse. I use old motor cycle fork tube that has insert one end that is same dia. of Reese snap ups, length just rite. You could find from friend or motor cycle shop as when replaced it is junk to them. Plus they are hard chrome plated no rust. Pics look like mickey mouse contraption. Bill
__________________
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 01:47 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member
 
1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 423
Looks like an attempt to solve the WD bars from riding so low. I'd bet the round part was where the bar went while grabbing chain links. Can you talk to the previous owner and get the rest of the hitch set up? Any funny parts hidden in the trailer? Otherwise get a Reese dual cam set up. What size trailer and truck are you using? Did it tow well on just the ball when you brought it home? Might not even need a weight distributing hitch.
__________________
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:31 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member
 
Chris_P's Avatar
 
1982 31' Excella
Montgomery , Texas
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijustlee View Post
Looks like an attempt to solve the WD bars from riding so low. I'd bet the round part was where the bar went while grabbing chain links. Can you talk to the previous owner and get the rest of the hitch set up? Any funny parts hidden in the trailer? Otherwise get a Reese dual cam set up. What size trailer and truck are you using? Did it tow well on just the ball when you brought it home? Might not even need a weight distributing hitch.
It's a 1982 Excella 31' rear twin tt. Towed it from Alabama to the Houston area with a 2006 Dodge 2500 diesel without ANY towing issues. The Dodge isn't mine; I have and will tow the tt a short distance with my 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3L.



Chris P
1982 Excella 31' rear twin
2007 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3L
__________________
Chris P
'82 Excella 31'
Lake Conroe
Montgomery, TX
Chris_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:06 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member
 
Chris_P's Avatar
 
1982 31' Excella
Montgomery , Texas
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 15
Would these brackets have to be removed in order to use a standard set up?


Chris P
1982 Excella 31' rear twin
2007 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3L
__________________
Chris P
'82 Excella 31'
Lake Conroe
Montgomery, TX
Chris_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 05:01 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member
 
1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 423
Yes, remove them. Standard brackets go right about there.
__________________
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:18 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member
 
Chris_P's Avatar
 
1982 31' Excella
Montgomery , Texas
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 15
Thanks for all the replies


Chris P
1982 Excella 31' rear twin
2007 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3L
__________________

__________________
Chris P
'82 Excella 31'
Lake Conroe
Montgomery, TX
Chris_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tow vehicle Tongue Weight vs. Trailer Tongue Weight KeepPedaling Hitches, Couplers & Balls 10 03-23-2016 12:33 PM
Unknown Airstream part. Bob Riffle Airstream Classifieds 0 02-05-2015 03:55 PM
Unknown pink w/green stripe wire at tongue Skater Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 1 08-08-2014 08:31 PM
Tongue weight verses tongue height - level the WD hitch? HowieE Hitches, Couplers & Balls 12 11-17-2007 01:02 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.