Old 04-01-2014, 10:30 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I thought about a rear receiver for our 30' and had a friend who is a retired welder (45) years and he stated emphatically no ....... way. There is simply not enough back their to weld and then have it hold any weight at all and he can weld anything including aluminum. So, I opted for a front, Y mounted two bike rack over the propane tanks and mounted onto the Y. I don't like the idea of anything blocking the rear lights on the AS.

Good luck

Bud

paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:57 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I think the concept of Airstream does not allow for the heavily equipped camper. The trailer's payload is relatively light compared to, say a fifth wheel, which is where some folks would find more satisfaction.

And as mentioned, that payload should be carried as near the axles as possible to advantage the excellent handling stability of the Airstream, not heavy equipment hung from the ends.

When all of the equipment needed will not fit the Airstream, it might be time to re-evaluate camping needs. Or get a larger trailer, but I'm not sure where that would end. I've seen some pretty crazy combinations trying to get into a gas station.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:22 AM   #17
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
I think the concept of Airstream does not allow for the heavily equipped camper. The trailer's payload is relatively light compared to, say a fifth wheel, which is where some folks would find more satisfaction.

And as mentioned, that payload should be carried as near the axles as possible to advantage the excellent handling stability of the Airstream, not heavy equipment hung from the ends.

When all of the equipment needed will not fit the Airstream, it might be time to re-evaluate camping needs. Or get a larger trailer, but I'm not sure where that would end. I've seen some pretty crazy combinations trying to get into a gas station.

I haven't checked the specs of any fifth wheels. because I have no desire to own one. However our Airstream has 2826 pounds of net carrying capacity. Even if I use 432 Lbs of that with a full fresh water tank, that is still over a ton of stuff I can carry in the trailer. Since It's not a fifth wheel, I can carry the two bikes in the truck bed. I know there are a number of members who carry their bicycles inside their Airstreams.

http://www.airstream.com/files/libra...da2ac3a18d.pdf

Oh darn, I forgot to take into account the half ton of 24K gold bars I always carry in case of breakdown of the finanacial system. I think I still have room for everything I need though.

Ken