Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-28-2009, 04:15 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
My heart still pounds for the first few minutes that I pull the trailer. I've been pulling a trailer for 20 years! I'm happy to say that I've never been in an accident (except when I hit the apron overhang at a gas station one time!) When my sister, sister-in-law & I started pulling trailers (pop-ups) years ago, we would just lift them the front ends & roll them around to where we wanted them. It was hilarious. I'm happy to say, I know how to back up anywhere now & the only way you will do it is by doing it! Like everyone else said, think about where you're pulling in to make sure you can pull it out! My husband rarely pulls the trailer!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 05:03 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Holladay , Utah
Two words: Check lists.
jmallgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:06 PM   #23
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Why not ask the dealer to check you out? Have a mechanic or salesperson with towing experience go out with you for an hour. A little coaching and some practice will disperse most of your fears. Fear is mostly based on the unknown.

Give them a call and explain what you need. They should be happy to help.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:12 PM   #24

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmallgood View Post
I'll second that! Before we made a check list we would forget important stuff, like once we forgot the sway control! Luckily our small trailer - big truck combo had no problem, but still, I want everything hooked up right to be safe. I feel much safer when we've gone over the check list and you KNOW everything is done.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:25 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmallgood View Post
Does anyone have a good check list for newbies?
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:53 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I agree with MaxandGeorgia that it's important to know how to hitch up and tow the rig comfortably for ALL partners. My dad taught me trailer towing when I was 16, and I've always done my half of the driving on trips. I'm not near as good at backing as my hubby as he does most of it (he can put that sucker anywhere he wants it) but I am capable of doing it - just takes me longer. My mom drove too right through retirement with their AS. Try driving your rig through Chicago in rush hour traffic through road work areas. You'll never be worried again about what you can do!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:07 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
There's something about those gas stations......
Old 05-28-2009, 10:46 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
I think you should watch "The Long, Long Trailer." Just remember, trailer brake first!
OB Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:59 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
I have to back my 31 ft up an alley 170 ft, then through a 10 ft gate in a brick fence to put it into my backyard where I have full hookups for service and maintenance.

I have had my neighbors come out of their houses just to watch. Too funny.
First hit the alley from the street in a 90 degree turn backing, then miss the dumpster on the right (blind to you until you get straight - you have to know where it is by instinct), then past the dumpster, push the trailer to the right to get close to the neighbor's brick fence to line up with my gate and in about 60 ft it will be on the pad....piece of cake....then again, I have been backing trailers since I was 12 on my Grandma's farm in the Sequatchie Valley of Tennessee.
It just takes practice.

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:46 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Manchester , New Hampshire
I push airplanes for a living and learned this...

Big wide turns slow and steady and when in doubt stop get out and look around the trailer. BUT practice practice practice . I used to drive trucks for living and I would take the truck to next doors parking lot with no lamp poles and nothing in parking lot and practice backing up ,Remember do not over correct self . Everyone here has great ideas of how to handle it .

2004 Nissan Titan with BT package
K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Mrcrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:40 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
colorado springs , Colorado
Some people, like my wife, have the gift.
We discovered that one stormy afternoon when we had to get the boat off the lake, but there was no space at the dock to tie off so I could fetch the truck & trailer like we normally did since I "had the practice".
She waded to shore with the kids, got them in the truck and backed the trailer down like a laser.

After that first baptism by fire,Nicolle gets the easy, girly part in backing the boat trailer down a 200' crowded boat ramp filled with jackknifed rigs, line cutters and the whole state of Colorado staring at her. I get the hard part of standing all manly at the helm prepairing to push the button to lower the outdrive and start the engine

Her signature move is to parallel park the truck and trailer in a 3-car length space.

After 15 years of trailer practice, I still park by braille.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:01 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Muncie , Indiana
In regard to hitching up

"I am in charge of hitching up before many camping trips. I'm thinking of getting one of those little flags that you put above the hitch so you can back up easier. This does take me a while but it is better than punching a hole in the TV or camper."

I got an aid at Harbor Freight that works well for me. There are two bright balls on extendable rods like a car antenna that have magnets on the bottoms. You set one on the trailer coupler and one on the TV hitch and back up till the balls line touch. Once you determine where to set them, you can pretty well get to the drop point without getting out of the drivers seat. Or you can take my son-in-laws approach. He bought a $99 kit at Target that has a miniature camera that's mounted on the license plate bracket and wired into the back-up light for power. When he's in reverse, it projects to a monitor on the dash. He aims it down at the ball and can see exactly where he is. The rest of the time it's aimed backwards so my daughter doesn't back into so many things as she parks by braille.
SailorSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:01 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
Upton , Massachusetts
I was nervous at first towing from the dealer. Feeling like I was turning to sharp or that we would tip over. In a parking lot I would turn and get out and look to see how close we could turn without hitting. And with a little time and practice all is well. I will say that my wife does better backing up than I do in close spaces. I can yell much louder. Practice towing in a place you know well and you will do fine.
Mike
Triple M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:21 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Update.

Well, showed up at the dealership this morning. After I got over my shock at how much the bill was for I backed the truck up to the trailer with the help of a tech guy. No problemos. He helped me hook everything up and away I went. It was raining hard, just a beautiful day for my first towing experience. not

Anyhow, got it home with no problems, and was going to leave it on the street in front of the house when I thought - well, I got it this far, might as well see if I can back it into the driveway.

With my sister's help on the cell, I got it in there with minimal fuss. Definitely slower than my husband, but hey - I was pretty darned proud of the fact that I did it, and didn't cause any dents or scrapes in the process.

Thanks to all the excellent advice - now I don't feel like so much of a dork

Cheers!
Old 05-29-2009, 11:43 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfrodge View Post
Update.

Well, showed up at the dealership this morning. After I got over my shock at how much the bill was for I backed the truck up to the trailer with the help of a tech guy. No problemos. He helped me hook everything up and away I went. It was raining hard, just a beautiful day for my first towing experience. not

Anyhow, got it home with no problems, and was going to leave it on the street in front of the house when I thought - well, I got it this far, might as well see if I can back it into the driveway.

With my sister's help on the cell, I got it in there with minimal fuss. Definitely slower than my husband, but hey - I was pretty darned proud of the fact that I did it, and didn't cause any dents or scrapes in the process.

Thanks to all the excellent advice - now I don't feel like so much of a dork

Cheers!
YOU ROCK!!I'm very proud of you. Are you planning to surprise your husband and not tell him of your success?
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:56 AM   #36
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Way to go, Michelle! No guts, no glory, right? You go girl!
Old 05-29-2009, 12:20 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i heard from your husband, he said, great, now she can do all the driving! ut oh

forgot to say..great job!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:11 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Way to go!!! Just gotta do it.

I've been backing my trailer into my yard for awhile now and thought (key word, thought) I had the hang of it. Until.... the new neighbors wanted to *watch*. I totally lost my touch. Then, they figured I had no idea how to do it as I was all over the place and they decided to give me a hand. Each yelling something different. Next time anyone is outside when I get home, I'll leave Olive on the street till they go back inside.
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:32 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
lol, i along with a few neighbors back into our garages. a watched vehicle never goes where you want it to go!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 05:28 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
Eeeeecellent!
richie rich is offline   Reply With Quote