Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2015, 10:39 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
My question was intended to be:

How do you find a station where you can maneuver to enter and exit the automobile gas pumps. Perhaps it is not like this in rural Idaho, but newer stations are more and more being built with the islands perpendicular to the building, so that you must pull in pointing straight at the building and its tiny parking area in front. Most of them would be virtually impossible to exit forward with a 30 foot trailer and a full sized pickup, even if no one was parked in front of the building. That leaves backing out the only option. That can be quite problematic, because conditions behind you can change drastically during the time you are fueling.

I am glad you have such a nice truck, but that does little to help with the dilemma I described above. I am not fishing to start a discussion about the various types of TVs. I am simply trying to hear how owners of large gas trucks and long trailers (27'+) solve the problem of using the cramped automobile islands.

Ken
I find in these situations you need to be aggressive. I will often cut the corner so no other vehicle can move in beside you. But sometimes this is not possible or other vehicles back in from the other direction, but usually they are not too long. When leaving you also need to just try to force your way out. I find in most cases people will not leave you room or help you so you need to help yourself. Block the entire exit and then sit tight until they clear out. When everything is blocked they get the message.

Many of the places I tow there are no proper truck stops or diesel is not convenient when you need it, so I usually end up filling up where everyone else does. In most cases though I just don't like the price of the diesel at truck stops. Regular stations are far cheaper so I will put up with the hassle.

I prefer the old gas station designs better, although sometimes they also will not work as they just cannot accommodate the length of the unit. In these cases you just need to just keep going until you find one that works.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 05:34 AM   #82
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
I leave an obsolete card with them.
Good idea, easy solution. I like it!
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 05:57 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
Nice footage Kelvin, is that a GoPro?
GoPro Silver on a Gecko Mini mount. I use the WIFI remote to turn it on/off. I have both the camera and remote connected to external power. Used iMovie 10.0.8 to edit and upload.

Kelvin
Old 08-30-2015, 07:10 AM   #84
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Having switched from a gas Tundra to a Ram 2500 CTD Iive noticed quite a bit a difference in throttle response and acellerator travel compared to my Tundra 5.7L. I've only got about 600 miles on the new truck. I did a short tow yesterday with tow haul engaged and noticed when going up hills I kept pressing down the acellerator and the transmission seemed to stay in the same gear. With the Tundra it would shift right away. Guess I still need to get use to the difference.
Does everyone lock out 6 th gear when towing on hilly terrain with diesel?

Kelvin
Old 08-30-2015, 07:25 AM   #85
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I drive my dodge 6.7 with 6 speed auto, in 6th down the road, 92000 miles and no problems
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:58 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
My 2012 Cummins will shift down automatically when necessary. Peak torque is 1,650 rpm. If I see a significant hill coming up, I will downshift to 5th to make things easier on the engine. I drive the Cummins manually shifting the transmission to keep the engine rpms above 1,400 all time when moving.

I monitor the EGT, transmission oil temperature, rear differential oil temperature and the water temperature and will downshift and or reduce speed on long inclines.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:25 AM   #87
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Having switched from a gas Tundra to a Ram 2500 CTD Iive noticed quite a bit a difference in throttle response and acellerator travel compared to my Tundra 5.7L. I've only got about 600 miles on the new truck. I did a short tow yesterday with tow haul engaged and noticed when going up hills I kept pressing down the acellerator and the transmission seemed to stay in the same gear. With the Tundra it would shift right away. Guess I still need to get use to the difference.
Does everyone lock out 6 th gear when towing on hilly terrain with diesel?

Kelvin
Nope - I never fiddle with manually overriding the tranny. I leave it in Tow/Haul, exhaust brake on Auto and usually with the cruise control on. Boogie's right on up the mountain regardless of what speed I set.

The newer Ram diesels do not have a hair trigger throttle response but they are pulling monsters. They will get you up steep grades with a minimum of drama at any speed, but don't except to chirp the tires when you stand on it. All of the current diesel pickups have some degree of electronic power management to prevent ripping the drivetrain apart with 800-900 ft/lbs of torque.

Not downshifting all the time and running @ 4000 RPM going up hill is partly why I love towing with a diesel. It isn't going to behave like a 1/2 ton gas truck.
Southeastern Camping Unit, WBCCI #1675
khollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:36 AM   #88
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
All my driving so far has been solo in my 2015 Ram 2500 CTD. I've driven it to work a few days, took a day trip out to a local lake and took my wife for a drive in it to a friends BBZ. The terrain around here has a lot of short hills. I notice when the truck encounters one of these short but steep hills while going 60 mph it looses speed quite fast, maybe due to the high curb weight. I apply a little throttle like I would on my previous Tundra but the speed keeps bleeding off. With more accelerator applied finally the speed stabilizes and then picks up. At times the rpms get around 1000 rpm and pressing on the throttle a bit you can feel a little vibration, like the engine needs to be I a lower gear. I've played with the +/- column shifter buttons and if I press the "-" button I can change the gear selection display to show what gear it is in even if 6 is not locked out. I'm going start to observing what gear the engine is using while driving on this undulating terrain at speeds around 60 mph to get a feel of how this is working. Maybe I should lock out 6 when on this terrain.

I guess I'm still not used to a diesel engine and its characteristics.

Kelvin
Old 08-31-2015, 07:43 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
The newer Dodge diesels have a computer-controlled transmission and they don't "feel" the same as the old ones. The mechanic at the dealership who services me mentioned that many of the old-time drivers seem to be uncomfortable with this, but that "mama knows best" in that the computer makes all the decisions.

I know that when I drive our VW Passat with the Tiptronic transmission I dislike the fact that it does not respond immediately to my stomping on the accelerator. On the other hand, my 1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD diesel, which has the 4-speed auto tranny responds instantaneously.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:02 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Two diesel questions.......

Quote:
All my driving so far has been solo in my 2015 Ram 2500 CTD. I've driven it to work a few days, took a day trip out to a local lake and took my wife for a drive in it to a friends BBZ. The terrain around here has a lot of short hills. I notice when the truck encounters one of these short but steep hills while going 60 mph it looses speed quite fast, maybe due to the high curb weight. I apply a little throttle like I would on my previous Tundra but the speed keeps bleeding off. With more accelerator applied finally the speed stabilizes and then picks up. At times the rpms get around 1000 rpm and pressing on the throttle a bit you can feel a little vibration, like the engine needs to be I a lower gear. I've played with the +/- column shifter buttons and if I press the "-" button I can change the gear selection display to show what gear it is in even if 6 is not locked out. I'm going start to observing what gear the engine is using while driving on this undulating terrain at speeds around 60 mph to get a feel of how this is working. Maybe I should lock out 6 when on this terrain.

I guess I'm still not used to a diesel engine and its characteristics.

Kelvin

Your new trucks transmission is still learning your driving habits.So drive it like you plan on using it.Don't baby it or it will adapt to that driving style.
Put some miles on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:17 PM   #91
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Geeze, 1,650 RPMs? That's low...
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:55 PM   #92
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
One "tip"'I learned about climbing a hill. Add juuuuuuust enough throttle to maintain the speed. If running 65 then don't "catch" the deceleration in time, I add enough power to "stabilize/hold" the speed. Sometime I do t get power up in time and I will drop to say, 55. I just hold and let it "granny"'to the top. I then keep that "power setting" until near my cruising speed downhill. No"pumping / oscillating the throttle. The "puter" seems to like that behavior, yielding stable MPG.

NOW, if I run "cruise", I get lots of fluctuations in speed and MPG.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:48 PM   #93
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
When I drove it to the lake, about 40 miles away on a dived highway with 65mph limit, I set the cruise control to test it and it was able to maintain 65 mph within a coupe of mph on the hills and felt very smooth. The average mpg display creeped up and going down the hills the transmission would shift down to maintain 65 mph. It did better than my right foot.

Kelvin
Old 09-01-2015, 09:01 AM   #94
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The break-in mileage before towing is in the user manual. Towing too soon can create issues as the rings and bearings are still getting settled.

I changed gears manually to exercise the Cummins through my typical working range of 1,450 to 2,250 rpm. Driving at a constant rpm on a new engine is not a good break-in procedure.

Letting the engine rpm drop below 1,450 lugs the engine. I select 3rd for the 30s, 4th for the 40s, 5th for the 50s and 6th around 55.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:28 PM   #95
Rivet Master

Springfield , Missouri
A Diesel engine is not lugging at low rpm.They produce massive amounts of torque even at idle speed.It is the opposite of a gas engine.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:17 PM   #96
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
The cat engine in my kenworth now has 1.4 million miles, the computer shows from 1100 to 1550 rpm's, always grossing close to 100,000 lbs.I even let the dodge pull down to 1000 rpm, mostly run at 1550 rpm, they are built to run this way, the computer adjusts the timing,and the amount of fuel....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:02 PM   #97
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
ThedCummins diesel supplement states:
ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS
The diesel engine does not require a break-in period due to its construction. Normal operation is allowed, provid- ing the following recommendations are followed:
• Warm up the engine before placing it under load.
• Do not operate the engine at idle for prolonged
periods.
• Use the appropriate transmission gear to prevent engine lugging.
• Observe vehicle oil pressure and temperature indica- tors.
• Check the coolant and oil levels frequently.
• Vary throttle position at highway speeds when carry- ing or towing significant weight.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:39 PM   #98
Rivet Master

Springfield , Missouri
Two diesel questions.......

Quote:
ThedCummins diesel supplement states:
ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS
The diesel engine does not require a break-in period due to its construction. Normal operation is allowed, provid- ing the following recommendations are followed:
• Warm up the engine before placing it under load.
• Do not operate the engine at idle for prolonged
periods.
• Use the appropriate transmission gear to prevent engine lugging.
• Observe vehicle oil pressure and temperature indica- tors.
• Check the coolant and oil levels frequently.
• Vary throttle position at highway speeds when carry- ing or towing significant weight.

This supplement is provided for both manual and automatic transmission.Your computer controlled automatic will not allow lugging.
As I mentioned above don't baby it drive it like you would normally drive as the transmission learns as time goes by.Its like a marriage u both have to get used to each other.Lol

Old 09-02-2015, 09:05 AM   #99
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
If anything the differentials would need to be broken in a bit.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:56 AM   #100
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
My first Ford diesel in 1985 was one of the first 3/4 ton diesels. In the winter I wanted to use No.1 diesel fuel and you could only get it at truck stops. I pulled into a No.1 island just ahead of a semi. The driver jumped out and cursed and wanted to know why I didn't fill up where the "little " trucks were supposed to be. I told him I wanted No.1 and that it wouldn't take long for me to fill up. He blocked me so I would have to back out. Now, most cold climate areas have blended fuel for the little trucks. Since I went back to a gasser, I don't worry about that anymore.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote