Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2015, 12:32 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I think you're misreading it. I see it as "Pickup models" and "Chassis models with the B20 option" - that is, all pickup models are B20 capable, and chassis models have it as an option.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:53 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Or is it read "Pickup and Chassis" models with the B20 option.

I found the 2013 Ram 2500 brochure and it actually mentions B20 compatibility for the Cummins.
Searched for the 2015 Ram 2500 brochure and no B20 mentioned at all.
Maybe it was a big deal in 2013 not so much in 2015.

Kelvin
Old 08-28-2015, 01:13 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
This thread seem to have hashed and rehash the original questions. With the OP and readers' indulgence I would like to asked about a slightly different fueling situation.

Those of us with diesel TVs have the escape route of diesel truck stops. How do folks with long trailers and gasoline powered TVs solved the problem of crowded and cramped automobile fueling islands?" They (cramped stations) seem to be more and more the norm.

Ken
I had a Tundra before my newly acquired Ram. I towed to Utah in June. Several stations were tight but maybe I was more confident now but I managed to squeeze in making some tight turns. I just insured to turn wide and use my convex mirrors on the tow mirrors to watch the trailer tires miss the island obstacles.

What was most annoying is cars fueling up then the owner leaving the car to go inside and pay or buy something while my truck and trailer stuck out obstructing traffic. I have some video of one fuel stop. I should post it this weekend.

Kelvin
Old 08-29-2015, 09:37 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
This thread seem to have hashed and rehash the original questions. With the OP and readers' indulgence I would like to asked about a slightly different fueling situation.

Those of us with diesel TVs have the escape route of diesel truck stops. How do folks with long trailers and gasoline powered TVs solved the problem of crowded and cramped automobile fueling islands?" They (cramped stations) seem to be more and more the norm.

Ken
I can tell you as a gas TV owner, that if one station is busy, I just go to another one and don't have to worry about which island to use, only which side to fill up. I don't have to worry about DEF and I have one fuel filter that costs $15. I can get my oil changed in Boise for $16.95 and I am approaching 160,000 miles on my V-10. I just changed out my power steering pump which other than regular maintenance items, is the only real failure under the hood.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 11:29 AM   #65
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
I can tell you as a gas TV owner, that if one station is busy, I just go to another one and don't have to worry about which island to use, only which side to fill up. I don't have to worry about DEF and I have one fuel filter that costs $15. I can get my oil changed in Boise for $16.95 and I am approaching 160,000 miles on my V-10. I just changed out my power steering pump which other than regular maintenance items, is the only real failure under the hood.
My question was intended to be:

How do you find a station where you can maneuver to enter and exit the automobile gas pumps. Perhaps it is not like this in rural Idaho, but newer stations are more and more being built with the islands perpendicular to the building, so that you must pull in pointing straight at the building and its tiny parking area in front. Most of them would be virtually impossible to exit forward with a 30 foot trailer and a full sized pickup, even if no one was parked in front of the building. That leaves backing out the only option. That can be quite problematic, because conditions behind you can change drastically during the time you are fueling.

I am glad you have such a nice truck, but that does little to help with the dilemma I described above. I am not fishing to start a discussion about the various types of TVs. I am simply trying to hear how owners of large gas trucks and long trailers (27'+) solve the problem of using the cramped automobile islands.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 11:51 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
At least with a gas rig there are way more options open to us than a diesel truck. I do use truck stops once in a while since they all have gasoline as well. When it comes to having enough room to maneuver, you just have to think ahead and calculate if you can make it. I once filled up at a small gas station on the outside island and thought I could go around the back and out. Wrong!! It was blocked at the very back so I had to back up with the wife's assistance. Lesson learned, so now if I plan on doing that, I walk to the back and see if I can get through. Another reason to have a larger tank so one can pick and choose knowing you still have a few gallons left to fill up.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 04:08 PM   #67
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Or is it read "Pickup and Chassis" models with the B20 option.

I found the 2013 Ram 2500 brochure and it actually mentions B20 compatibility for the Cummins.
Searched for the 2015 Ram 2500 brochure and no B20 mentioned at all.
Maybe it was a big deal in 2013 not so much in 2015.

Kelvin
Just read thru the diesel supplement on my 2014. I agree that all pickups are B20 approved. In the electronic version of the supplement, the section headings are "Cab & Chassis models" and "Pickup models and C&C with B20 option" There have also been numerous 3rd party reports of B20 being approved in DEF equipped Ram Cummins.

I think you are freaking out over nothing IMHO.
Southeastern Camping Unit, WBCCI #1675
khollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 04:10 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Two diesel questions.......

We find a station with Google then look at it from Google Earth.Same for restaurants along the way.Some are not easy to get in our out so this takes the guess work away.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 04:36 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
On our cross country trip this year I was totally annoyed with getting diesel. The trucker pumps were a hassle, regular credit cards did not work, I had to go inside, guess how much I would need then prepay. So they said if I guessed high, I would be credited back what I was owed? Yeah, ok. Not. So I guessed low and left with a less then full tank On the flip side, the car pumps with diesel were a hassle. There was only 1-2 pumps which were tight as it was, but factor in all the idiots leaving their cars at the pumps and it was near impossible to get a 50' rig in.

So next time I will definitely look into cards or credit accounts to use the truck pumps or figure something else out. Because it was a total pain.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 04:47 PM   #70
Rivet Master

Springfield , Missouri
You just go inside and give them your credit card and go fill up.Easy deal.

Old 08-29-2015, 05:26 PM   #71
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
On our cross country trip this year I was totally annoyed with getting diesel. The trucker pumps were a hassle, regular credit cards did not work, I had to go inside, guess how much I would need then prepay. So they said if I guessed high, I would be credited back what I was owed? Yeah, ok. Not. So I guessed low and left with a less then full tank On the flip side, the car pumps with diesel were a hassle. There was only 1-2 pumps which were tight as it was, but factor in all the idiots leaving their cars at the pumps and it was near impossible to get a 50' rig in.

So next time I will definitely look into cards or credit accounts to use the truck pumps or figure something else out. Because it was a total pain.
this procedure is just as safe as any other. You are probably subjected to this often in other transactions and just don't know it.

You tell them the max amount that think you can use to fill up. They then run a pending charge for this amount and set the pump to shut off at that amount. This way they know you can and will pay. When you go back in they charge your account for the actual amount and the pending charge goes away and does not show on your statement.

I find it simple and effective. I'm just happy that they let us RVers who spend insignificant amounts use the pumps that are intended for the high transaction amounts truckers normally need.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 06:30 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
That's not actually my experience nor the way it was explain to me. I was to charge $X and the if I did not use that much, trust that they would credit back the balance. There was nothing about me going back in there to reconcile a pending transaction. I did look at my credit card statement, I can't remember if I ever pumped less than what was charged, I think maybe once or twice, but I for sure see no credits. Not worried about it, I just won't be doing it again. On another note, one station required me to leave my card inside. Didn't like that either. The whole experience felt like it should not be as much of a hassle as it was. I actually missed a gas motor at one point.

It's not a problem, this thread prompted me to look into a Loves Card, I'll probably do that and be more careful looking for RV friendly stations. But when you are doing 1000 mile days like we did, you get tired and can't afford to overthink things.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:38 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
You just go inside and give them your credit card and go fill up.Easy deal.

I guess so, it seems like every state had a different procedure and each station was different. One truck stop was actually closed, but pumps were on for truckers with these electronic cards on their windshields.

Plus I don't trust folks with my card, I used to then went to Portugal, they don't even take your card at a restaurant to go run it, they bring a card reader to you, so with that in mind and the way some of there folks look who work at truck stops - I get nervous.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:46 PM   #74
Rivet Master

Springfield , Missouri
Credit charges are disputable so who cares?

Old 08-29-2015, 07:17 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I've got time to buy gas and drink wiskey, but no time to call my credit card company and enter my 16 digit account number 3 times. But that's just me.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:38 PM   #76
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I leave an obsolete card with them.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 07:42 PM   #77
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ponce Inlet , Florida
I have the pilot/Flying J "RV" Rewards card not a credit card get a few pennies off a gallon and don't have to go inside to pay with your credit card. Did have to go inside once because the "system"was down.
Beach Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 07:50 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I got a little frustrated trying to gas up at one of the typical fuel stops along the Interstate on my trip to Utah this June.

https://youtu.be/YPrpHKVd_6k

Kelvin
Old 08-29-2015, 08:39 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Nice footage Kelvin, is that a GoPro?
Old 08-29-2015, 10:26 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
[QUOTE=KJRitchie;1676669]I got a little frustrated trying to gas up at one of the typical fuel stops along the Interstate on my trip to Utah this June.

I know what you mean here. This sort of scenario happens all the time. People who don't pay at the pump or or then go to the washroom after they are done and don't move their vehicle. Very frustrating!! Especially for us diesel users as there is usually only one pump available and there is someone without a diesel there!
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote