Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2015, 12:18 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
We prefer Flying J truck stops since they have RV pumps. Pilot which owns Flying J has a phone app that tells you the price and if specific locations have RV pumps. I have used the truck pumps but prefer the low volume RV pumps.
2015 Silverado Duramax
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 12:33 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater View Post
We prefer Flying J truck stops since they have RV pumps. Pilot which owns Flying J has a phone app that tells you the price and if specific locations have RV pumps. I have used the truck pumps but prefer the low volume RV pumps.
2015 Silverado Duramax
Thanks, that's good info. I use my phone for guidance often when traveling (not while driving).

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 12:58 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I use the big rig pumps when towing because they are twice as fast and also easier to get in and out of. When not towing I will normally use the regular gas pumps however a number of the stations where I normally drive only have diesel available at the truck pumps so I use them.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 01:20 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The issue for me is that the Big 3 truck stops have a sign on their diesel pumps "Up to 20% Bio-Diesel" both in front for SUV/Sedans and the big rigs in back (all sourced from the same tanks).

My Mercedes service folks say to avoid bio-diesel like the plague (2007 and 2009 V-6 diesels with no DEF) and the 2012 Cummins (no DEF) in the truck manual said up to 5% bio-diesel in a pinch but then to be diluted ASAP.

One would be wise to carry a couple of spare fuel filters and know how to change them in the event of a clogged fuel filter and or water in the fuel.

Keep the receipts and log each fuel stop by location, date and fuel purchased in case you get a load of dirty fuel. You can then have a basis to pin the tail on the correct donkey to repair your fuel system.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:05 PM   #25
Haze Grey & Underway

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cedar Crest , New Mexico
In az the deisel fuel at the rv pump is cheaper than at the truck pumps. I think it is a road tax issue.
hazegrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:57 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Pumped my first tank of diesel today

To test out the fuel tank capacity on my new Ram 2500 CTD I decided to commute to work with it this week. The low fuel warning light came on just as I was approaching two convenience store/fuel stations. Both had the same price for diesel. The first one, Phillps 66, wasn't as busy so I decided to fuel up there. I couldn't find any green handles on the fuel pumps. I circled around and spotted a lone pump on the side of the store. It wasn't a pay at the pump island and I decided to abort.

I went next door to the Casey's and it was pretty busy with people fueling up prior to heading off to work. Again I had to circle around the whole group of islands. I could only see one pump handle. As I returned to where I started the island tour, I noticed the first row had the green handles but there were cars taking up the pumps. Luckily one pulled out and I maneuvered in. Double checked I was inserting the green handled pump and the light was on the diesel button before pumping.

This was a learning experience. Large auto stations will probably have diesel on one island. With the Airstream in tow I won't have the selection of islands to choose from as I had towing with gas so I may have to wait longer for pumps to clear. Smaller stations with a couple of islands should have diesel at all pumps. I may have to check out one of the truck stops around here to see how the truck islands work and whether the prices are different.

I'm glad I didn't have the Airstream in tow today.

I ended up pumping 27.3 gallons into the 31 gallon tank. First tank average 16.4mpg no towing, mixed driving. The fuel average on the dash showed 18.4 so looks like the computers are still inaccurate.

Kelvin
Old 08-27-2015, 09:50 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ponce Inlet , Florida
I try to aviod truck pumps when possible due to the the high volume nozzle being a pita. I do use them when I need DEF. Much cheaper 2.60 - 2.80 /gal. than the 2.5 gal jugs at the stores. With that said they are a pita to use as well. Yes I'm a cheap old buzzard so I put up with them. :>)
Beach Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:04 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
To test out the fuel tank capacity on my new Ram 2500 CTD I decided to commute to work with it this week. The low fuel warning light came on just as I was approaching two convenience store/fuel stations. Both had the same price for diesel. The first one, Phillps 66, wasn't as busy so I decided to fuel up there. I couldn't find any green handles on the fuel pumps. I circled around and spotted a lone pump on the side of the store. It wasn't a pay at the pump island and I decided to abort.

I went next door to the Casey's and it was pretty busy with people fueling up prior to heading off to work. Again I had to circle around the whole group of islands. I could only see one pump handle. As I returned to where I started the island tour, I noticed the first row had the green handles but there were cars taking up the pumps. Luckily one pulled out and I maneuvered in. Double checked I was inserting the green handled pump and the light was on the diesel button before pumping.

This was a learning experience. Large auto stations will probably have diesel on one island. With the Airstream in tow I won't have the selection of islands to choose from as I had towing with gas so I may have to wait longer for pumps to clear. Smaller stations with a couple of islands should have diesel at all pumps. I may have to check out one of the truck stops around here to see how the truck islands work and whether the prices are different.

I'm glad I didn't have the Airstream in tow today.

I ended up pumping 27.3 gallons into the 31 gallon tank. First tank average 16.4mpg no towing, mixed driving. The fuel average on the dash showed 18.4 so looks like the computers are still inaccurate.

Kelvin
Very good idea to check things out.

Many times I have encounter multi Island stations with only one or two islands having diesel pumps. Often there will be several pumps and sometimes whole islands vacant, but the one or two diesel pumps will be utilized by people pumping gas. Trying out a non busy truck island is a good idea also. That process requires pre planning also. There is apparently a certain etiquette that I always try to observe, but some truckers seem to ignore totally. Always pull out well clear of the pumps when going inside to pay. Everyone seems to do that. However some truckers spend forever in the store portion of the stations before ever moving their truck from blocking the exit from the pump they just left. So you can well get stuck waiting for a fair amount of time.

The computer is a rough indication of recent gas mileage. However several things can cause it to reset and start over, so it usually will not be as accurate a manual calculation at tank fill time.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:20 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
So some truck islands don't have pay at the pump? So for those you have to go inside, wait in line and give them a credit card or tell them an amount the go pump then go back in to get a credit. I don't carry cash to buy gas when on longer trips.

Kelvin
Old 08-27-2015, 10:45 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
When I'm on the road (as opposed to being in my home territory), I use the Gas Buddy app to locate stations that sell diesel. One thing I've noticed is that Flying J and the major truck centers post a significantly higher price for their fuel than the smaller gas stations. So I'll go to whichever one is cheapest.

My TV is a 1999 Dodge 2500HD (club cab & long bed). It has the first generation 24-valve Cummins engine, before they went to the common rail system. Other than changing the fan housing I have not had any issues with it - currently 136,000 miles on the odo. This engine is known for its noise! The weak link in my TV is the 4-speed auto transmission. However, that too has not been a problem for me. I service it regularly.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:12 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Truckee , California
Smile My new choice in Diesel TV

Good to hear about using the truck island to fill at while towing, I have done it occasionally but typically a little intimidated going over there.

I just sold a 2007 Duramax for a 2015 Fiat Ram 1500 with 3.0 diesel engine. Previously owned a Ford diesel and have never had any big problems with any of them. My choice was to get rid of the BIG, BIG GMC (crew,Long bed, dually) and move to the more reasonable sized Ram 1500. Comfort of use especially when not towing which is over 50% of the time. I like the 50% increase in MPG also. All of this made possible because I pull a 25 foot AS. Half ton trucks are not made to drag around a fifth wheel.
Thiatt55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:30 AM   #32
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Green handles are gasoline at some stations. Better to read carefully before pumping.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:49 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
I find it varies. If a truck stop is available and it's not a card lock, by all means use it. Many of the nozzles are the high flow ones so you have to hold it tight in place. Some have the low flow nozzles. But the majority of the time I use the regular pumps. Yes it is tricky in and out and sometimes I need to back out, but if you're patient and take your time it's ok.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:16 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Green handles are gasoline at some stations. Better to read carefully before pumping.
Yep. I'm going to also smell the nozzle While, I didn't mind so much if I got a little gas on my hands diesel seems to linger longer.

Guess I'll look for some hand wipes or a box of disposable gloves. I want to prevent the steering wheel from getting the smell.

Kelvin
Old 08-27-2015, 02:18 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Kelvin - keep a box of rubber gloves in your TV for Diesel and Dumping. Handy!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:47 PM   #36
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Kelvin - keep a box of rubber gloves in your TV for Diesel and Dumping. Handy!
Yeah.. because you never know where that handle has been or with whom or... you get the idea..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:42 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
You'll learn to love the smell of diesel.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:31 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
Hmm

1: Haven't had my diesel long enough to stop at a Flying J or Pilot while towing.

2: Even tho I have the Duramax with the Allison, so far so good. I will say I am really surprised that Carver let his 7.3 Ford diesel be handed over to someone else. That engine is legendary in it's performance & longevity. If you are looking for a diesel, and don't mind an older vehicle, THAT my friends, is the diesel to own!
Safe travels to all, and thanks for the info!
Gavin
FishinHatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:47 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I'm a Cummins fan. Bought my '04 1/2 brand new and have, knock on wood, had absolutely zero problems with it of any kind. I prefer the big rib pumps with the huge nozzles because I can fill my 40 gallon tank in about 4 minutes, instead of 20 like the low flow pumps do.

Were I buying a new truck, I'd still go Cummins. But, the GM/Isuzu Durmax is a decent engine now and the Allison is a great transmission. Dodge basically copied it with their new Aisen (sp?) and it's great too.

Diesels make torque like nobody's business. You don't really need it for an Airstream, but it's nice to have extra power when you want it.

I pull a 36' Avion that grosses about 10,000lbs. I've not met a hill yet I couldn't accelerate up. Wouldn't do that with a 360 V8

Best of luck whichever way you go,
Old 08-27-2015, 05:58 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
Hogfan,
My humble apologies for not telling you "Thank You" for asking this question. My kitty is pretty low after trading my gas 2012 for a diesel 2012 just two weeks ago. Saving up my shinies for a long road trip, so we've just been going to our local SP. Your question about fueling up has been on my mind since my first fill-up coming home. I was hoping someone would edumacate me on the etiquette @ a Flying J, or Pilot. My fellow AS'ers here just did!
Good luck in your purchase. I did a ton of research, and the Allison tranny gets some very high marks.
Sea ya down the road,
Gavin
FishinHatteras is offline   Reply With Quote