Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2017, 09:51 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
I am towing big Jayco trailer with BMW X5 diesel. 14-16 MPG. Range 250-300+ miles. You will get better MPG with any airsteam.
What year is your X5? Is that generally over hilly or flat terrain, or does it make much difference? Ever not found diesel available at a fuel station? What kind of mpg are you getting when not towing? Think I'm going to test drive one this weekend!
polyester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:24 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Hey OR neighbor, we tow our FC 20 with an 08 Highlander Limited and it tows sweet and true. I added a jet pack chip for a bit more HP/Torque and it helps over Ashland and Questa (NB) in CA. Prior to the install we were still passing a lot of TTs and now more than before.

Out tank is 19+ and does limit the range but on a recent trip to Paso Robles from EUG , gassed up in Medford, Cottonwood, CA, Lodi, CA & Kettlemann City so averaged about 14 mpg. Not like the previous range of our Vol XC-SE pulling the pop top, but works for me. Take a look at Gasbuddy.com to plan ahead. I think highlanders you can upgrade to a larger tank (38 g??) like in the Tundra. Also I like to stretch out (and gas up) every couple of hours so the limited range works for me.

IMO the 3K & mpg isn't that out of line. I also use the manual option to the highlander's 5 speed auto to control revs. and to say in the gear I want vs to constant dropping down for spurts.

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:41 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Woodland , California
2 5-gallon jugs will increase your range over 50%. By far your cheapest and easiest solution. $30-$100 for the jugs, $100-$500(+) for the rack to put them on.
basalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 04:55 AM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Hello Holly

12 MPG is not out of line for an all wheel drive SUV towing a sport, this somewhat depends on the speed you drive. If you have an instant fuel economy gauge on your car you can see what is happening at particular time. In a headwind slowing down 5 MPH can sometimes save you 2-3 MPG.

I find after 3 hours of driving I need to stop anyway so I never really understood needing massive range. Still if you like to improve it a Jerry can is a great method. You will rarely use the Jerry can it just lets you use the entire tank that you have. If you are driving along and there you are coming to an exit or town with fuel, you still have a 1/4 tank but the next fuel is 50 miles, your distance to empty readout says you have 60. That is cutting it close so you pull off and top up the tank. However if you have the extra tank you can drive the extra 50 miles because you know you have additional fuel if you need it.

On the 16 sport it is pretty easy to change to an AGM battery and mount it inside under the door side dinette seat. AGM batteries don't off gas so you can use them inside. Then you can mount the extra fuel can behind the LP tanks on the support that was previously used for the battery. This is a very safe place to carry it.

You have made me think about an interesting question, which 3 row SUV has the most fuel range. When it was available in diesel the Q7 would have been the best or close to it, today it would be the Mercedes GL. If you don't want to spend that kind of money a Dodge Durango with the 3.6 Litre V6 8 speed ZF transmission will get mileage similar to or slightly better than the Kia and it has a 24.6 gallon tank.

You can improve the fuel economy and performance of the Kia with a better tire size.

Andy

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 05:02 AM   #25
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
One other thing.

The Equalizer hitch you are using may not be the best choice for the Kia and Sport. The Kia's hitch receiver is adequate for the 16 and the 16 has a relatively light A frame again plenty for the size trailer it is. The torsion bars you have are very stiff so when you drive through a dip they will not bend very far so the hitch receiver and A frame will flex quite continuously. You can see this if you bounce on the hitch you will see the receiver bending up an down instead of the torsion bars flexing.

I hope this helps. If you would like some more info on hitch options send me an email andy@canamrv.ca.

Andy

Old 04-08-2017, 05:55 AM   #26
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Volkswagen Touareg diesel. I test drove one, and loved it, but the dealer didn't love my old 4Runner enough.. If I remember it got great mpg. Don't remember fuel tank capacity. Would make a fun daily driver. Looks different enough from the Audi to not be a total copycat. Not sure what's going on though with the Volkswagen diesel recall, lawsuit though.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:33 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
salem , West Virginia
I get 16-17 mpg towing my 31' excella, I have a 36 gal tank and can tow as fast as I my wife will let me up any mountain and on any terrain. I get 20+ mpg average not towing, and up to about 24 on the highway. I have seating for 6 and tons of cargo space. Probably overkill for the Bambi but you could probably get 18+ mpg towing it especially if you keep your speed around 65.

It's no myth it's a 2015 Silverado 2500 with a duramax diesel and the Allison transmission it is my TV as well as my daily driver [emoji41]

Also if you take the plunge you can upgrade the AS and never have to worry about upgrading your TV to accommodate. Another issue worth considering regardless of your choice is the breaking ability. Sometimes stopping quickly is way more important than how fast you can go up a hill or the mpg. I like knowing that the TV weighs more than the fully loaded trailer and I know in an emergency I can stop and maneuver safely. People tend to think about going and maintaining speed uphill, but down the other side can be much more dangerous if you are not properly equipped.

Sorry, this may not be helpful but I couldn't resist. Cheers and good luck.
Jeremiwvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:45 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Route 66 , Arizona
Don't be in a rush to switch tow vehicles! There is no magic bullet. Your mpg and miles per tank numbers are about identical to our Ridgeline; approx. 12 towing and 18-20 otherwise. IMO as well as many other Ridgeline and Pilot owners, they are ideal for towing a 16 Sport or even a 22, and I suspect your Kia is pretty decent too.

As for 3000 rpms uphill...this is normal as well, but you also need more practice than one or two trips to get the hang of it. Towing a travel trailer is a whole different ballgame than regular driving. Once you learn to anticipate hills in a whole new way and get the overall flow of things, your tow vehicle will seem much more capable.

Afraid you'll go to the trouble and expense of getting another tow vehicle, only to realize there's no magic bullet. Give it some time and practice. Your budget will thank you!
Skooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 01:15 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
el paso , Texas
We pull our 2015 Bambi with a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder. It's an ideal match for the trailer. I would definitely suggest AWD option for those times when you find yourself in an unforeseen snowstorm. We've been thru the Tetons, Yellowstone, and pretty much all of New Mexico. The CVT will rev up to 4500 on the steepest hills, but will also maintain 60 MPH. Fuel economy averages 12 MPG. We try to not to drive more than six hours per day, so basically 2 gas stops with our 20 gal. tank.
sherpa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 02:36 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1995 21' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Daphne , Alabama
WHY are you doing 40 - 50 mph up hills / grades / mountains???? I do 30 to 35 and get 14 - 15 mpg on my 4runner V-6. I am not going to push the engine and Tranny. Enjoy the trip. Stay 'behind' the 18 wheelers.
tjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 03:18 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Madison , Wisconsin
Send a message via ICQ to slpiotro
Diesels are good for towing

Look at the various BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Porsche. posts on these forums. With a Bambi, you should find one of these cars able to fill your needs. I tow my 23 ft. Safari with a Mercedes ML 350, get 30 Highway without the trailer, 15-18 with the trailer, and it does ride like a Mercedes. The GL has the sixth seat, and the new Blue Tec diesels are as quiet as gas engines. Yes, when you get in back country, you watch for Diesel stations, but with a 25 gal tank, and even at 15Miles Per, you get 375 mile range at least. Never missed finding diesel, though in the early years of blue tec, sometimes it was hard to find the additive. Try the new style diesels, they are not the black smokers of olden days.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:09 PM   #32
PSU1981

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Conroe , Texas
Get a truck & don't look back.
PSU1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 05:19 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Not now!

Basalt has the right idea. Extra gas if you're that concerned. If you've made only one trip you need more experience and 3,000 RPMs is annoying more to you than the engine. In Australia where I towed, they almost-legally require you to stop and stretch every two hours. And don't stress over your experience so far. Stay calm and soldier on. (another Aussie directive)��
Asherstanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:31 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
I only get about 200 miles per tank on my Dakota pulling a 25 ( allowing 50 -70 miles for insurance) The 4.7 V8 turns about 2800 with OD off at 60 Mph. I need to nudge it up to 3300 -3800 on hills, so 3000 sounds not bad for a V6. BTW I don't think anyone should be towing in OD with a base vehicle that doesn't have 6 or 8 speed tranny that can find its own best gear ratio.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:12 PM   #35
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
TV Woes: Small Fuel Tank, Low MPG

An old rule of thumb is that consumption should not be more than 80% of capacity for trip planning.

Pulling an Airstream should exact a 30-40% mpg penalty where all else is the same. 50% means something is wrong somewhere. The OPs fuel mileage is relatively 60% of solo.

If the TV is well suited to solo duties I wouldn't consider it much of a burden. Dads 8-liter luxury car saw 150-mile range on average pulling his Silver Streak. 21-gals at that point.

The next TV saw 225 mile range, but that was a 32-gal fill-up.

Both of these big V8s ran at 2800-3200 rpm as was the norm. Just below peak torque.

Working hard up a grade is no indictment. Not a good reason to change if all else is good. Those two vehicles of my Dads were kept a total of 27-years and close to 400k. WOT, and a downshift, on the upgrades was the norm.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:08 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
I doubt you'll get much better mileage with any other gasoline engine tow vehicle. You seem to recognize the pros and cons of diesels. The Jeep Grand Cherokee is available with a diesel- same engine is available in Ram 1500, which a number of Airstreamers seem to like. I'm not sure I'd put 10 gallons of anything on the roof of my vehicle although carrying extra fuel is an obvious solution to your problem. I also wouldn't like to carry fuel in the passenger area of my vehicle. That's why folks use pickups to tow trailers. [emoji41]
DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:02 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Portland , Oregon
TV Woes: Small Fuel Tank, Low MPG

Completed the trip through the Rockies, and my little weekend warrior (the Kia Sorento) handled like a boss! Fuel economy capped at about 13.8 mpg one one tank (after a lot of coasting), and dipped under 10 mpg while fighting 30-40 mpg head winds in the Columbia River Gorge; still averaging around 12 mpg. But we had no trouble finding gas stations. Waze came through for me. I had all my stops planned each day and never felt anxious about running out of fuel, and it all worked out just fine. She struggles a bit on the hills, but only once was I revving in the 5k rpm range. After a few thousand miles of mountains, hills, and wind, I think I'm starting to get the hang of this.
polyester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:14 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Polyester... whoa there a bit.

By the time you figure out an economical, larger tow vehicle, you will be wanting to get a larger trailer after spending the money for the replacement vehicle. You have to think... horse or cart, cart or horse at this moment in your life. You cannot get a 12 foot Bambi... and I am certain you will be getting a longer Airstream, before needing a larger tow vehicle for the 16 footer..

The 12mpg is less expensive for fuel than another vehicle purchase. In the Rocky Mountains with a V8... that is respectable going UP. Going DOWN we all get fantastic mileage and it averages out.

Your tow vehicle may be smaller than what most of us would choose, but then again, pulling the 16 foot Bambi with a 3/4 ton truck is the other end of the spectrum.

Some of us pulling a trailer on flat highways with a big head wind would not find 10 mpg disappointing.

Give it time. I see nothing unusual about your mileage. If the Kia handles 'like a boss'... sounds to me like you already have a winner.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:26 PM   #39
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
It is kind of fun learning to balance power economy and choosing the right gear to optimize both. My parents generation did that just to drive a car so towing was just an extension of what they already knew.

My summer car weighs 4000 pounds and has 476 horsepower. Last winter I drove a 1.6 Litre Kia Soul manual. The opposite end of the spectrum but rewarding when you could make it perform. Just proves there is no perfect answer everything is a compromise you just have to find the one that suits you.