VW Touareg.

Fred L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 07:39 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
2008 19' Safari SE
Brossard , Quebec
Honda pilot

Take delivery of my Pilot LX AWD 2 weeks ago (ordered mid September last year!).
And last week CanAm proceed to the hitch installation.
Andy confirm with me that will be no issue with my rig.
I have a 23FB FC 2011.
Prior to the Pilot I tow my Flying Cloud with a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse FWD.
Towing capacity of both vehicle is roughly the same (5000 Lbs).
Early May I will retreive my TT from winter storage and will be able to report my rig driving experience…

Michel

Papou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:38 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Here you go, LINK more than enough ability to tow your Bambi and have fun doing it. There is another woman on here who has posted a photo of her setup MsTara.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:50 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by polyester View Post

... but there are certain vehicles that scream "soccer mom" to me and it just doesn't suit me quite right.
That's a disappointing comment. Cars, SUVs, trucks, etc. don't have any gender assignment, other than in the minds of the people in the marketing department.

I tow my 2011 28' International with my (suitably modified) 2011 Toyota Sienna minivan. I don't care what that screams to anyone, I'm just content that it's a great tow vehicle that can carry a big load. Gas mileage when towing is 12-14 mpg, no worse than the majority of Airstream tow vehicles, but 28 mpg when not towing.

I'll agree that the gas tank is small, though, and we also have to fill around 200-250 miles when we're hitched up. Still, it forces us into a break at regular intervals.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:13 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Currently Looking...
Cohasset , Massachusetts
We're about to start towing a new 22' Sport with our 2009 Volvo XC90 4wd (has 3rd row).
5000 lb tow / 500 lb hitch. Love the car in normal driving. Normally get about 17-20 mixed mpg. About 21 gallon tank, so about 400 mile range. I expect that to come down a bit towing. We'll see. I'll let you know how it feels once we start towing... for our first time ever! Nervous and excited.
Rich
Rg416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:31 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
I get 20 mpg with my 2015 Grand Cherokee v6.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:51 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
I am towing big Jayco trailer with BMW X5 diesel. 14-16 MPG. Range 250-300+ miles. You will get better MPG with any airsteam.
What year is your X5? Is that generally over hilly or flat terrain, or does it make much difference? Ever not found diesel available at a fuel station? What kind of mpg are you getting when not towing? Think I'm going to test drive one this weekend!
polyester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:24 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Tracktown USA , Oregon
Hey OR neighbor, we tow our FC 20 with an 08 Highlander Limited and it tows sweet and true. I added a jet pack chip for a bit more HP/Torque and it helps over Ashland and Questa (NB) in CA. Prior to the install we were still passing a lot of TTs and now more than before.

Out tank is 19+ and does limit the range but on a recent trip to Paso Robles from EUG , gassed up in Medford, Cottonwood, CA, Lodi, CA & Kettlemann City so averaged about 14 mpg. Not like the previous range of our Vol XC-SE pulling the pop top, but works for me. Take a look at Gasbuddy.com to plan ahead. I think highlanders you can upgrade to a larger tank (38 g??) like in the Tundra. Also I like to stretch out (and gas up) every couple of hours so the limited range works for me.

IMO the 3K & mpg isn't that out of line. I also use the manual option to the highlander's 5 speed auto to control revs. and to say in the gear I want vs to constant dropping down for spurts.

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:41 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Woodland , California
2 5-gallon jugs will increase your range over 50%. By far your cheapest and easiest solution. $30-$100 for the jugs, $100-$500(+) for the rack to put them on.
basalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 04:55 AM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
Hello Holly

12 MPG is not out of line for an all wheel drive SUV towing a sport, this somewhat depends on the speed you drive. If you have an instant fuel economy gauge on your car you can see what is happening at particular time. In a headwind slowing down 5 MPH can sometimes save you 2-3 MPG.

I find after 3 hours of driving I need to stop anyway so I never really understood needing massive range. Still if you like to improve it a Jerry can is a great method. You will rarely use the Jerry can it just lets you use the entire tank that you have. If you are driving along and there you are coming to an exit or town with fuel, you still have a 1/4 tank but the next fuel is 50 miles, your distance to empty readout says you have 60. That is cutting it close so you pull off and top up the tank. However if you have the extra tank you can drive the extra 50 miles because you know you have additional fuel if you need it.

On the 16 sport it is pretty easy to change to an AGM battery and mount it inside under the door side dinette seat. AGM batteries don't off gas so you can use them inside. Then you can mount the extra fuel can behind the LP tanks on the support that was previously used for the battery. This is a very safe place to carry it.

You have made me think about an interesting question, which 3 row SUV has the most fuel range. When it was available in diesel the Q7 would have been the best or close to it, today it would be the Mercedes GL. If you don't want to spend that kind of money a Dodge Durango with the 3.6 Litre V6 8 speed ZF transmission will get mileage similar to or slightly better than the Kia and it has a 24.6 gallon tank.

You can improve the fuel economy and performance of the Kia with a better tire size.

Andy

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 05:02 AM   #25
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
One other thing.

The Equalizer hitch you are using may not be the best choice for the Kia and Sport. The Kia's hitch receiver is adequate for the 16 and the 16 has a relatively light A frame again plenty for the size trailer it is. The torsion bars you have are very stiff so when you drive through a dip they will not bend very far so the hitch receiver and A frame will flex quite continuously. You can see this if you bounce on the hitch you will see the receiver bending up an down instead of the torsion bars flexing.

I hope this helps. If you would like some more info on hitch options send me an email andy@canamrv.ca.

Andy

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 05:55 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Volkswagen Touareg diesel. I test drove one, and loved it, but the dealer didn't love my old 4Runner enough.. If I remember it got great mpg. Don't remember fuel tank capacity. Would make a fun daily driver. Looks different enough from the Audi to not be a total copycat. Not sure what's going on though with the Volkswagen diesel recall, lawsuit though.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:33 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
salem , Virginia
I get 16-17 mpg towing my 31' excella, I have a 36 gal tank and can tow as fast as I my wife will let me up any mountain and on any terrain. I get 20+ mpg average not towing, and up to about 24 on the highway. I have seating for 6 and tons of cargo space. Probably overkill for the Bambi but you could probably get 18+ mpg towing it especially if you keep your speed around 65.

It's no myth it's a 2015 Silverado 2500 with a duramax diesel and the Allison transmission it is my TV as well as my daily driver

Also if you take the plunge you can upgrade the AS and never have to worry about upgrading your TV to accommodate. Another issue worth considering regardless of your choice is the breaking ability. Sometimes stopping quickly is way more important than how fast you can go up a hill or the mpg. I like knowing that the TV weighs more than the fully loaded trailer and I know in an emergency I can stop and maneuver safely. People tend to think about going and maintaining speed uphill, but down the other side can be much more dangerous if you are not properly equipped.

Sorry, this may not be helpful but I couldn't resist. Cheers and good luck.
Jeremiwvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:45 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Route 66 , Arizona
Don't be in a rush to switch tow vehicles! There is no magic bullet. Your mpg and miles per tank numbers are about identical to our Ridgeline; approx. 12 towing and 18-20 otherwise. IMO as well as many other Ridgeline and Pilot owners, they are ideal for towing a 16 Sport or even a 22, and I suspect your Kia is pretty decent too.

As for 3000 rpms uphill...this is normal as well, but you also need more practice than one or two trips to get the hang of it. Towing a travel trailer is a whole different ballgame than regular driving. Once you learn to anticipate hills in a whole new way and get the overall flow of things, your tow vehicle will seem much more capable.

Afraid you'll go to the trouble and expense of getting another tow vehicle, only to realize there's no magic bullet. Give it some time and practice. Your budget will thank you!

Skooter is offline   Reply With Quote