Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2015, 04:40 AM   #41
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyfvr View Post
I installed the Backflip Fibermax and i am very happy with it. It was very easy to install and looks great.

Couple of random thoughts:
I like that it is flat with the truck side walls.
I got the Fibermax model which is a step up from the G2 and the dealer said that it will do better in the Arizona sun.
I like the fact that it is easy to have full bed access.
The cover is locked when you lock the tailgate
I am very pleased with the quality

Let me know if you have any questions or would like a photo.
I would like to see a picture, if you don't mind. Do you think a foot of snow on it would be a problem? I store the truck in a garage, so probably not a likely occurrence, but a possibility.
Thanks
Jeff
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:50 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
I would like to see a picture, if you don't mind. Do you think a foot of snow on it would be a problem? I store the truck in a garage, so probably not a likely occurrence, but a possibility.
Thanks
Jeff
I can't comment on the snow we live in Phoenix and it is 70 right now. If your truck has the factory rail system installed you have to order the Backflip with the rail kit. The rail kit lowers the rail about 2" so you can install the cover and still use the rails.
A couple of things that i learned:
1: install the extensions (do not tighten) before you reinstall the rails (makes it much easier)
2: install your tie down cleats on the rail before you install the rail on the truck. Once the rail is installed you can move the cleats but you can't remove or install them with out loosening the rail.

Here are some photos:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0634.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	308.1 KB
ID:	230476   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0635.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	230477  

2017 Ford F-250 Diesel
2015 25' International
WBCCI # 5462 4CU
Ponyfvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:10 AM   #43
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyfvr View Post
I can't comment on the snow we live in Phoenix and it is 70 right now. If your truck has the factory rail system installed you have to order the Backflip with the rail kit. The rail kit lowers the rail about 2" so you can install the cover and still use the rails.
A couple of things that i learned:
1: install the extensions (do not tighten) before you reinstall the rails (makes it much easier)
2: install your tie down cleats on the rail before you install the rail on the truck. Once the rail is installed you can move the cleats but you can't remove or install them with out loosening the rail.

Here are some photos:
Looks great. One post in a feedback section mentioned that the cover didn't seem wide enough, yours looks like it fits perfectly.
When folded open, can you leave it in the bed of the truck, or have to remove the whole cover?
Any improvement in gas mileage?
I think that's the direction I'm going to go. The base model is just flexible vinyl over a alum frame, correct? While the premium version you have is a hard vinyl with alum frame? Is there a covering to the vinyl?
Thanks for posting the pics, looks great.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:24 AM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
Looks great. One post in a feedback section mentioned that the cover didn't seem wide enough, yours looks like it fits perfectly.
When folded open, can you leave it in the bed of the truck, or have to remove the whole cover?
Any improvement in gas mileage?
I think that's the direction I'm going to go. The base model is just flexible vinyl over a alum frame, correct? While the premium version you have is a hard vinyl with alum frame? Is there a covering to the vinyl?
Thanks for posting the pics, looks great.
The cover fits great, you can open it by sections so you get partial to full access to the bed.
I think that my gas milage has increased but i haven't checked it yet.
The Bakflip Fibermax is a hard vinyl that is about 3/4 of a inch thick and is very sturdy. I saw a video that shows that you canst on the folded cover. I am not sure of the video location but you can google Bakflip FIbermax and locate several videos that will give you details on the features, installation etc.

I am very happy with the cover and would recommend it

2017 Ford F-250 Diesel
2015 25' International
WBCCI # 5462 4CU
Ponyfvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:22 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
quick double check -- those with the bakflip VP - Do any of you have a Honda3000 gen set in the truck bed as well? I haven't done the measurements to exact yet, as my gen set is in storage, but recalling eyeballing it, I was concerned a flat profile tonneau would not allow me to carry the gen set any longer in my F150 bed.

-- Ian
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 05:33 AM   #46
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I ordered the Tonnopro. It is $200+ less than the backflip G2. Couldn't find a negative review on it, but it was mentioned a few times that the latches closest to the cab were on the flimsy side, so I'll have to be careful on the install.
My Honda generator is right by where my Tundra is parked. I would assume there isn't much difference in bed depth between the F150 and the Tundra. I'll let you know if there is a issue. It'll be Friday before I can check though.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:17 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
I wanted to buy a Honda 3000 last spring, found it was too tall for my Sierra 1500 with a Solid Fold tonneau, the type that rides up on the bed sides. I believe that Dodge and Ford beds may be a wee bit taller than the GMC version, but best to try before you buy. It'll be close with a tonneau with rails.
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:43 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
1959 22' Flying Cloud
fairview , New Mexico
I have a Diamond back and love it.

Avion C11
1959 Flying Cloud
1969 Tradewind
1973 Safari
1983 34 ft Limited
2004 F250 superduty ext cab
2014 F350 longbed superduty crewcab
arodriguez60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:30 AM   #49
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vashon , Washington
TruXedo Rolling Cover - the best

I just got a new truck and bought my second TruXedo cover for it. I had one on my older truck and found that the ability to fully open the back end up to haul dirt/rocks/chips or tall items helps as my TV is a multi-use vehicle. The folding type did not allow me to gain full use of the bed. The TruXedo cover has easy working latches and felcro sides to make easy use. Amazon sells them through their Prime account. But you may need to access the TruXedo site to find our the model of the cover for a Toyota.
Amazon.com: TruXedo 297601 TruXport Soft Roll-Up Dual Latch Tonneau Cover: Automotive

Good Luck!
dprvashon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:11 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Things I wonder about roll up covers:

Do the roll up covers work when there's snow and ice?

How about dust collecting and then getting into whatever it rolls into and jamming it?

How easy is it to cut through the cover with a butter knife, Swiss army knife, machete, etc.?

Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I just bought a Retrax Pro roll up bed cover for my F-150. I'm waiting for the spray-o bed liner to be installed before I install this new cover.

(1.) I don't know, and maybe won't ever know, but they say mine will hold up to 500 lbs. spread out.

(2.) Dust can't be too much of a problem; The roll up canister has two water drains built into it.

(3.) My new bed cover uses Aluminum slats; Might need more that a knife.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
The Retrax looks pretty nice. I'll be looking forward to reports on it especially when dirty, icy, snowy or just plain wet. How much for one of those?

With the 6.5' bed now pretty common, that would be a significant loss of space especially if you are hauling 8' sheets, 2 x 4's, etc.

Gene
Quote:
Hi, my new F-150 has the 5 1/2 foot bed, but still way more storage room than my Lincoln. We don't plan on carrying large pieces of lumber since I don't have the need to build anything. I have carried long boards on the Lincoln's roof rack in the past. Also, four clamps and two people and this bed cover comes off and can be stored up-right.

5.5' bed plus 1.5' tailgate when down equals 1' over hang with a red flag attached to sheets of plywood.
Quote:
Hi, Gene.

(1.) $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

(2.) The roll box does not go all the way to the bottom of the bed so a small stack of wood could slide right under the box. Therefore no real loss of room.
Hi, some pictures of my Retrax Pro. I have room for about ten sheets of 3/4" plywood, or more, under my roll up canister, but I think that space will be for my Bag Chairs. With the cover retracted, It doesn't take up much bed space. It has been so nice to go shopping and put stuff in my tote boxes and cold stuff in my ice chest. Dusty doesn't want to give up his back seat area for our shopping even if it is his canned food.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC06214.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	331.3 KB
ID:	231644   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06216.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	228.3 KB
ID:	231645  

Name:	DSC06219.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	451.2 KB
ID:	231646   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06220.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	257.7 KB
ID:	231647  

Name:	DSC06223.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	231648   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06217.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	250.6 KB
ID:	231649  

Name:	DSC06224.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	294.8 KB
ID:	231650   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06225.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	341.0 KB
ID:	231651  

Name:	DSC06226.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	327.9 KB
ID:	231652  
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 04:59 PM   #51
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Bob,

You're lucky Dusty lets you ride in the front seat.

If you take those 10 sheets of plywood, you don't need a trailer—just build a shack wherever you go. With 10 you can have a roof, floor and walls for an 8 x 8 shack. Window extra.

The cover sounds good and I don't think you'd buy something that you didn't research thoroughly. I'd love to see it in person, but I guess I'll have to wait until you come southeast or I go northwest.

It looks like you could fit a lot more than 10 sheets of 1/2" under the box, but it also depends whether they are flat or resting on a closed tailgate. I usually carry several sheets or 2 x 4's resting on the tailgate because it is harder for them to fall out when I'm going up the steep road to my house.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:12 AM   #52
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Put this on last night. Tonnopro. Very easy install, secure, and affordable. It will take a bit of planning if I need to remove to haul, but those instances are pretty rare, and usually known well in advance. Meaning, It'll be easy to remove it, but easier if I can leave it at home etc., while I haul what ever with it. (Mostly a motorcycle.)

I didn't get the Honda generator out last night, but ballparking it, says it'll go in under the cover. That's the plan, so I hope it fits. Ha
Old 02-04-2015, 07:45 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
With the Retrax is there anyway for yard debris, when I have to haul yard clippings to the recycling center, to get into the roll up compartment and interfere with its operation?

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote