Old 08-16-2013, 09:13 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Great truck and great engine. We love our 04. Hope you guys love it half as much as I do!

Congrats!

Old 08-16-2013, 09:40 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Petaluma , California
Excuuuse Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdcraw View Post
Well they did not total her but gave a great payout and I was able sell her to someone willing to do the work themselves so she will live on. As for us we were able to hunt down a nice 01 Excursion in good shape with the 7.3 diesel. This will be great as I have 2 growing boys and 2 dogs so they are all looking forward to a trip this fall.
Glad it all worked out for you. We picked up our 27FB two years ago and then had to get a TV. Picked a 2002 Excursion with a 7.3. Couldn't be happier. Went to Disney (Anaheim) Christmas of 2011 with the whole family +1 (7 people) and were very comfy. We bought ours with 195K on the clock and are now up to 225K. Doesn't use oil, runs like a top. Added a DP Tuner and Pyrometer guage for pulling up hills and engine braking down hills. The only real issue is the brakes. I splurged with aftermarket slotted rotors and ceramic pads. Worked GREAT for 15K miles then warped. If you need new brakes go with Bendix Heavy Duty (for ambulances etc). These seem to work just as good and are straight so far. Last time I took the Excursion to the garage the owner said he had 3 customers asking if it was for sale. No way! Welllll maybe if someone would pay 60K so I could buy a brand new burb or F350 with magical "TOW" buttons. - Brad

Old 08-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Congrats! We love our '02 Excursion with the mere 5.4L V8 engine, and it tows our 25' Excella very well... We traded up (bought used in 2005) from a mid-90's Suburban, and were glad to get the extra comfortable seats, airbags, etc., along with extra power and heft.. As we now say, the Excursion is great for those times "when a Suburban just isn't big enough.. " Our only problem is unkind looks in parking lots from all the Prius and Tesla drivers.. Oh well...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #18
Stream Weaver

1989 37' Airstream 370
pamplico , South Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to romakdaddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum View Post
Our only problem is unkind looks in parking lots from all the Prius and Tesla drivers.. Oh well...
But know that you can "look down" on them from the vehicle you wanted
Old 08-19-2013, 06:38 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Quote:
Congrats! We love our '02 Excursion with the mere 5.4L V8 engine, and it tows our 25' Excella very well... We traded up (bought used in 2005) from a mid-90's Suburban, and were glad to get the extra comfortable seats, airbags, etc., along with extra power and heft.. As we now say, the Excursion is great for those times "when a Suburban just isn't big enough.. " Our only problem is unkind looks in parking lots from all the Prius and Tesla drivers.. Oh well...
Just tell them you're helping to keep demand up and prices down. Does that fuzzy math work out? I saw a window sticker that said "Buy a hybrid, I need the gas!"
Old 08-19-2013, 07:02 PM   #20
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
Glad everything worked out!
WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Petaluma , California
Karmically Balanced

Quote:
We are Karmically balanced with the 2002 7.3 EX and a 2011 Prius.

Brad
Old 08-19-2013, 08:34 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Our only problem is unkind looks in parking lots from all the Prius and Tesla drivers.. Oh well...
Here's how I "solved" that little problem. You'd be shocked at how many people look at this massive diesel whistling beast and say "Oh, I had no idea they made hybrid Excursions!"

Old 08-20-2013, 07:21 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Thanks for words of encouragement.. I LOVE the Hybrid badge with little green leaves.. I am goin' shopping.. And we have a neighbor with both a Hummer and a Smart car parked in driveway.. Just have to wonder what those dinner table conversations are like, as they balance each other's impact on the planet...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:26 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylormade View Post
Here's how I "solved" that little problem. You'd be shocked at how many people look at this massive diesel whistling beast and say "Oh, I had no idea they made hybrid Excursions!"

That is funny! I have to do that with my F250!
Old 09-04-2013, 08:38 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Petaluma , California
Nice! I see the badges on Ebay. I'm going to "appropriate" your idea! The Hybrid forums will be buzzing!
Old 09-05-2013, 11:22 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Lol our e350 extended van was a hybrid too, in name only! We did the same thing. The new owners kept the badge, they loved it!