Old 10-07-2018, 03:55 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
I always chock wheels and use the parking brake after I put a little tension in the system when unhitching the Hensley. Makes it easier to pop the stinger if there’s a little tension. Other than that, I never use the parking brake.

Tow Vehicle: Ram Laramie 2500 crew cab, Cummins 6.7 Turbodiesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:23 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Navarre , Florida
Guess thereís a lot of good advice here, but this is what I do. When getting on site I get to level side to side, then chock both sides, I have dual axles and use the step on chocks that go between the tires. I then have dw who is then in tv release brakes and put it in neutral. That releases any forces one way or the other and letís me know if there is a problem to deal with. I then put the tongue jack down and raise to front up to release bars. Lower then and disconnect to from tv. Have dw apply brakes while tt comes out of tv and clears hitch then have her pull fwd. works well for me. No surprises

Old 10-07-2018, 06:51 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
W/Reese dual cam just raise w/jack then release snap ups then lower arm leaving bars hanging take off then lower release coupler latch raise again pull forward then lower front to level, no strain no chance of injury. Word of caution use pipe to release and raise snap ups.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:17 AM   #18
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

On a factory tour a month back I saw that all the power jacks now have 4500 pound stickers on them. I assume that makes them better than the old 3500 pound sticker jacks. What the real ratings on any of them are in this or that situation .. who knows.

====

The stock recommendation for pretty much any of the "removable bar" type WD hitches is to take them off before you start into the campground and put them back on once you are out of the campground. Anti sway likely isn't needed at campground speeds. WD tends to get weird when your truck and trailer are at sharp angles to each other. Yes, this all *assumes* you don't bottom out (or break the rear axle) when the WD is removed. Hopefully you thought that through when you picked your tow vehicle ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:39 AM   #19
Fuil-Timers

2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Simplest solution, I found it in my tv’s owner manual. Not just about towing, either.

When stopped, place tranny in Neutral then set the parking brake and put tranny in Park. Reduces tension at the coupler so lessens the truck’s lurch when released from coupler. Then chock trailer wheels before raising coupler jack. Has helped me a lot in unhitching, saves time and “tension”.

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
dreamstreamr.wordpress.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:42 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

====

The stock recommendation for pretty much any of the "removable bar" type WD hitches is to take them off before you start into the campground and put them back on once you are out of the campground. Anti sway likely isn't needed at campground speeds. WD tends to get weird when your truck and trailer are at sharp angles to each other. Yes, this all *assumes* you don't bottom out (or break the rear axle) when the WD is removed. Hopefully you thought that through when you picked your tow vehicle ....

Bob
"stock recommendation"? I would disagree. I use a blue ox, with my F150 towing a 27' Flying Cloud. This would not work for my rig, and yes I am level with the bars on, but might drag the bottom of the hitch with the bars off and any type of incline. I like to stay level with the bars on when backing into a campsite, works for me!
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:59 AM   #21
Fuil-Timers

2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Thankfully my Equalizer setup doesn’t need me to bother with removing WD bars before backing or settling into campsite position. I may do it once in a year or two, ONLY if the camping position will have the trailer level side to side very different from the truck. If their side to side attitudes ar very different (i.e., lots of blocks raising one side of trailer) then it’s puts a lot of force on one of the WD bars and harder to remove bar. Doesn’t happen often.

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
dreamstreamr.wordpress.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:12 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
TV Parking Brake/Unhitching Safety Question

Our ProPride (Hensley design) system does not need to be disconnected to back it. If i did release tension, Iíd probably drag the end of the bars on the ground anyway. Mine sit rather low. Axle lift kit, probably a full three inch, in my future to solve that one as well as dragging rear and tank dump plumbing.

I do jack the front end up high once hitched to tension the WD jacks, but mainly because Iím lazy, old, and tired. When I get the power WD jacks installed, it will be super easy. Push button to tension.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:02 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemount , Minnesota
I have the Blue Ox Sway Pro as well. On our previous vehicle (2013 Ford Expedition without air struts) I needed to go to 7 - 10 links from the bitter chain end. With our new 2018 Ford F-250 I only need to go to 6 links so it is much easier to put the required tension on the bars.

I myself do not like to use the tongue jack to raise both the trailer and the vehicle.

Here is what I have done to make the job painless and safe for me:

1. Spray the rotating surface of each clamp-on rotating latch with silicone spray occasionally - it really helps!
2. Use a breaker bar instead of the short wrench provided by Blue Ox
3. I have 4 plastic pads that I place under the tongue jack. I use the 4 plastic pads under the tongue jack so that I don't have to have much of the tongue jack shaft extended out (seems to provide a little more stable parked Airstream when we walk around in it).
4. After setting the Airstream onto the ball and retracting the tongue jack, I reposition the pads next to the side of the spring bar near the end where the chains connect to it. I put the 4th or 5th chain link onto the rotating latch and take the tension up just enough to slide the plastic pads under the bar using my foot (keeping feet well away from the bar). At this point there is not much tension so it is a relaxed and easy step and the pads only have to move about 2 inches to get under the bar.
5. I then let the bar gently down onto the stack of plastic pads. The bar's u-bolt that holds the chain onto the bar rests on the top pad.
6. I reposition the chain onto the 6th link and rotate the latch to its closed position.
5. I repeat this for the second spring bar.
6. I put the plastic pads away in the truck along with the breaker bar and wheel chocks.

I never place any part of my body under tensioned spring bars - ever! Even after the rotating latch is secured, I pull the plastic pads out using their rope ties. Kind of like the propeller arc on an aircraft - train yourself to never put your hands or feet under the spring bars. Best to never find out what your health insurance doesn't cover.

When I had to go to 7 - 10 chain links I would use the plastic pads in reverse when I was taking the tension off of the spring bars to avoid the bang and the quick snap of the chain off of the rotating latch. With only 6 links I have not had to use the pads as the chain releases without much tension/noise or striking the ground upon release.

BoscoMN is offline   Reply With Quote