Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2017, 11:17 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
1952 comes standard with a pop up vent in front of the windshield. Heat, defrost and fan are all options as are the radio, ashtray, floormat, side mirror(s) and chrome Ram on the roof.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:16 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Temple , Texas
Ha, I traded our 2015 Ram for a New 2016 (last on the lot) Ram over the weekend. I wanted one with the larger 32 gal gas tank and 3.92 rear differential - plus leather and a few other nice options. Only the best for our Airstream!
RamRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:23 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamCSH View Post
1952 comes standard with a pop up vent in front of the windshield. Heat, defrost and fan are all options as are the radio, ashtray, floormat, side mirror(s) and chrome Ram on the roof.
And the 260 AC standard.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:51 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I read all these sort of threads, and started a few myself.
I learned that there's people who love and hate each. There's nothing to be learned, just get the one you like.
I've argued for and against almost all of them.

I tend to keep vehicles a long time, so I want the most reliable one. Some people get a new vehicle every year and so they want the most advanced.
Some will claim anything other than a 650 fifth wheel is death defying.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:49 AM   #45
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Keep reading because these posts explain things that now might seem obvious to many on this forum but at one time were confusing and new territory. Learning what you didn't know you needed to know about. I'm only 45 days away so I haven't forgotten how daunting the questions seemed at first nor the terror I felt when my AS25 pulled my #7300 SUV backwards when making a turn up a 6% grade to follow the road. My TV was just too light despite being told my my dealer that I was OK to go.

I do agree that you will be fine with any of the 3 mentioned and they vary according to your wallet & perception of need but once you configure even a basic XL unit with sufficient wheelbase, payload capacity and pulling capacity, everything else falls into the want category. I've owned all 3 plus Internationals, Mitsubishis and Izzus in the 36k GWVR and it was the same story with my delivery trucks. With some brands you pay less up front but more $ over time on maintenance & downtime, with others you pay dearly up front and just stock the brake/rotors and everything else seems to just work. But - when they go down they go down hard, after many miles and the parts take a week or so to come from a backwater town in the far east. Depends on your pain tolerance for cash flow events and how you finance, deduct or write off your equipment.

My take is that the Toyota will run a long time without needing service and you will be surprised when it does. The GM / Ford / RAM all have their weak points but you'll be spending time and $ fixing them. That said, the Toyota is more expensive for what you get creature comfort wise and the big 3 have more options for greater payload and comfort. Your choice on where to spend your dollars.

With that said, I agree with Mollysdad that you should just buy what you like but do so understanding there is a difference and what that difference is.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:00 AM   #46
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
... when my AS25 pulled my #7300 SUV backward when making a turn up a 6% grade to follow the road. My TV was just too light despite being told by my dealer that I was OK to go.
Did you use the hand brake control for the trailer? If the brake controller is set up and used correctly the trailer brakes alone will stop your whole rig. A heavy TV will not control gravity by virtue of it's weight, in fact, it could make things worse. Control on a grade is one of the reasons your brake controller has a hand lever.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:38 AM   #47
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
No time.
Quick recovery due to huge V8 but as we transitioned to a neighborhood street with a steep incline and turn, the truck was probably shifting gears to make the climb and the trailer won. Yes I can tow #7300 and the trailer was probably at #6800 while the truck was within a couple hundred pounds of NCC, but braking while going uphill and picking that exact transition moment to apply brakes is probably beyond my talents right now. Im assuming a heavier vehicle would have held the trailer from jerking me back but you indicate that would be worse?
Old 02-21-2017, 08:01 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Y'all are overthinking this. Find a good Dodge, preferably one with the optional heater for winter and 12v fan for summer and you are good to go. American muscle all the way.
Attachment 280088

FYI, all recent years RAM 2500 and 3500 are built in Mexico. No American muscle there Tonto. They run on refried beans.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote