2017 27' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Fantastic post thiel!

Philip Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 01:49 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
San Marcos , California
I would recommend a TV that meets your payload and tow capacity needs. If your TT has a tongue weight of 900lb and max weight of 8,000lb I would recommend a TV that has at least a 1,600lb payload and 10,000lb tow ratings. However those are just guidelines, if you plan on adding a winch, carry an ATV etc you should account for those when coming up with your requirements.

I have a 2017 F-250 and I use a WD hitch, Ford recommends WD hitch for all trailers over 5,000lb and without it I have significant squat in the rear.

I had a 2016 RAM Ecodiesel Limited and it was a great truck with a fantastic ride however payload was only 893 pounds which was taken up entirely by the TT before we put any people or gear in the truck.

Here comes the opinion part of the post, I like the RAM interior better than the Ford. All 3/4 and 1 ton trucks have much firmer rides. Apple CarPlay or Android Auto are worth having. Get a gas vehicle if it meets your needs, diesel vehicles cost more to acquire and maintain.

Mgieselman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 02:17 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
As always a lively discussion on 1/2 ton TV's! I made a somewhat hasty decision when I bought a 2015, F-150, Supercrew, Lariat, 5.0L V-8, short box, before I bough an AS. Had no idea that we'd have a 2016 Sport 22FB a month later. Then a 2016 Pendleton less than 6 months after that. Much research and more importantly a number of recommendations from users, I went with the Hensley. I installed the HAHA (Hensley Arrow Hitch Apparatus) myself on the Pendleton and have towed that combo over 12K miles in since last April. The V-8, that I bought, reluctantly, because it was hard to find the 3.5L EB at the time in TX, has done a great job. We recently bought a house in Santa Fe and hauled the Pendleton out there from Austin TX. On the return trip, much to my surprise, we made it back (720 miles) on a single tank (36 gal.) of gas. Not bad for a gas guzzler. If I were to buy a TV today I'd seriously consider the new 3.5L EB, w/ the 10 speed transmission. But, looks like there will be a a diesel option for 2018. Have not seen details yet.
Have also given a lot of thought to the 3/4 ton with diesel... fuel costs more, maintenance costs are higher, and it might be a bit big and bulky for a daily driver. Pluses; gas stations can be so tight when pulling a trailer. You can use the truck stop pumps with the diesel and have plenty of room for maneuvering and Torque. A diesel has the power, at the rear axle, to pull almost effortlessly.
Whatever you buy, make sure it's rated to tow over 10,000 lbs., has the factory tow package or HD tow group and as mentioned earlier, the crew/super crew is great for the cooler, brief cases, snacks etc.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:02 PM   #18
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Silver City , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiel View Post
One last thing: YOU NEED A BRAKE CONTROLLER if you are towing something that has itís own brakes!
Working on that last part...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream towed by a bike.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	279426  
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 03:13 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamRider View Post
I recommend that you get the one you like, My preference is the Ram Hemi, plenty of power and decent MPG towing or not towing, but picking a TV is very personal you should make this choice based on your preferences.
I will throw this out, last week I talked to a new owner of a Nissan 5.0 diesel with all of the options it was an amazing TV, just starting out I would recommend that you throw one of these in the mix before you lock in your final choice.
That should add some confusion, have fun!
The 2017 Nissan XD now also comes in a 396 HP gas V8 engine. I have the Cummins Diesel in mine & love it beyond words. I strongly suggest you give it a "look see" as both gas & diesel XD's are full of options at no additional cost.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 05:37 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Twinkie View Post
We are looking also for a TV.
See Consumer Reports Buying Guide 2017 pg. 183.
It lists all the 1/2 ton pickups by make............ and the only one with a "checkmark" (recommendation) is the Tundra SR5 5.7L V8.
That's what we are leaning towards.

I quit consulting Consumer reports twenty years ago. They are left of Lenin and totally Anti American anything. Tundra is a Johnny come lately to the Pickup Game. It gets the job done for sure, the Japanese are great copiers.
1. Ford
2. Ram
3. GM only ones that are made in the U.S. GM is building pickups in Mexico and 40% of that production is imported to the U.S. tax free.
The WSJ had a very informative article on this a few weeks ago.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 05:45 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Nissan Titan XD, built in Canton, Mississippi.
Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:33 PM   #22
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Silver City , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
I quit consulting Consumer reports twenty years ago. They are left of Lenin and totally Anti American anything. Tundra is a Johnny come lately to the Pickup Game. It gets the job done for sure, the Japanese are great copiers.
Toyota trucks are built in San Antone...

I find consumer reports very pro-American as they seek to inform honestly and mostly, right on in their reports (which are based upon Americans reporting back their product experiences). I really appreciate unbiased product evaluations.

If being informed is being "left", then I'm all for it!
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:12 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fairmont , Minnesota
If I understand WD hitches it shifts the weight from the rear to the front of the TV. You still have 800 lbs to subtract from your total payload. With my F150 EB I only have about 250 lbs available for payload if I'm carrying 2 people and a tank of gas. Checking the GVWR is important.
Wesair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:36 PM   #24
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesair View Post
If I understand WD hitches it shifts the weight from the rear to the front of the TV. You still have 800 lbs to subtract from your total payload. ...
A properly set up WD hitch will usually transfer up to 1/3 of the weight from the rear axle to the front axle and about the same amount to the trailer axle.
Adventure.AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 06:42 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
Great thread and good input. The discussion brought back a funny memory from an MBA class many years ago. The professor was using her personal example of choosing a new car to demonstrate the power of a decision making tool built into Excel. You can list features important to you and rate those features on how important they are to you. Towing capacity might be more important than price point or milage for example. Excel takes care of all the calculations and delivers the result. After stepping through her entire example for her five cars and driving to a conclusion, we asked, "so which one did you buy?" She looked up, smiled and proudly said, "the red one..." Sometimes the decision is really less technical and more personal.

Good luck, enjoy the ride and many adventures in your new Airstream and TV,

Roy and Marie
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 12:32 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
Toyota trucks are built in San Antone...

I find consumer reports very pro-American as they seek to inform honestly and mostly, right on in their reports (which are based upon Americans reporting back their product experiences). I really appreciate unbiased product evaluations.

If being informed is being "left", then I'm all for it!

1.Did America need another two pickup manufacturers ? All Toyota and Nissan did by getting into the business is dilute the market. Neither are original creations that have contributed something revolutionary to world of pick up trucks.
2.Consumer reports top truck is the the Tundra made by a Japanese MFG. I rest my case.
Both the F-150 Ecoboost and the Ram Ecodiesel are far superior to the Tundra especially towing. Both of them will blow the doors of any Tundra at higher elevations.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:54 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
These vehicles are EXPENSIVE to buy and maintain. When comparing WHAT they can tow, you should also be evaluating how long they'll serve you. They all look great and ride great, BUT, at the end how much will they cost you. Anecdotally, why do you find few Toyota models being traded for traditional USA nameplates? Yet, you find many USA nameplates being switched for Toyotas. I switched back in 1971 - the bad old days - of my first car. Bought a new Toyota Celica and have had carefree vehicle's (12) over the years - every single one passed backwards through the family. Each of my replacements is purchased slightly used from a single prior owner! Crappy vehicles lost my financial support - no reason to go back at this point.

By the way: Tundras are manufactured in Texas (San Antonio) by Texans.
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:55 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Sugar Land , Texas
Check the link below. I bought an F150 for my 27FB after reading this review but you can look at all their reviews and make your own decision. The real world tow testing they do is directly applicable to our Airstreams.
http://www.tfltruck.com/2016/03/2016...llenger-video/

us3rnam3 is offline   Reply With Quote