Old 05-31-2018, 08:09 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Sometimes I wonder if the massive discussions on tow vehicles are related to the perceived need for a different tow vehicle from what someone is running. Maybe its a dissatisfaction thing, or a 'want something different, but not sure what?
No doubt for some it is true. However anyone following these threads it becomes obvious that long time AirStreamers tend to gravitate to larger and heavier TV over time. The problem I see over and over that there are some who for nefarious reasons keep confusing the issue by suggesting that smaller lower center of gravity is safer, pick ups have a tendency to roll over etc.etc.
Which of course in the real world is pure nonsense. If one intends to drive a pick up truck or a semi for that matter like a Porsche they better stay away form towing and of the road for all of our sakes. Try an experiment and pull your AS around a 30 MPH curve with a Porsche at 60 MPH . Post the results on the next thread with questions about TV by a newbie.

franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:56 AM   #30
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you look at a new F-250, it's *way* off the ground compared to an older version of the same truck or compared to other trucks. Yes I have a 250 ....

Bob

uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:12 PM   #31
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
No doubt for some it is true. However anyone following these threads it becomes obvious that long time AirStreamers tend to gravitate to larger and heavier TV over time. The problem I see over and over that there are some who for nefarious reasons keep confusing the issue by suggesting that smaller lower center of gravity is safer, pick ups have a tendency to roll over etc.etc.
Which of course in the real world is pure nonsense. If one intends to drive a pick up truck or a semi for that matter like a Porsche they better stay away form towing and of the road for all of our sakes. Try an experiment and pull your AS around a 30 MPH curve with a Porsche at 60 MPH . Post the results on the next thread with questions about TV by a newbie.
It’s because as a new guy with very limited experience AND basic denial of physics, you and others like you missed the boat as to what matters.

So far as “weight” is concerned, how well the WD hitch distributes tongue weight is all that pertains. Don’t exceed axle limits, is about it.

Design of the TV (as well as the hitch) are crucial. As it was for the trailer. The trailer was the hardest part to get right per design. The TV requirement is SOLO first, tow vehicle second. What you ignore.

Turning the task of trailer towing into work (a pickup or similar) AND making it a higher risk activity than it already is, is the fools path. Your money. Have at it.

The short road to rig stability (the stand-in for “safety”) is a TV with independent suspension and short rear overhang (distance from rear axle to hitch ball). A low Center of Gravity. Essentially the same as with this trailer design. Engine power, brakes are all moot topics. What’s necessary was exceeded many years ago for a wide range of better vehicles.

What’s left is steering and handling.

Sad so many of you focus on what’s not relevant. And haven’t experience of better TVs.

Or better trailer braking using discs, and/or a Hensley-patent hitch. Again, it’s design that matters.

No one used a pickup to really travel with one of these fifty years ago. Why? Dead wrong for family duty, and a low speed design.

And 1000-lb TWs were common. Unibody cars were fine with them. Only lasted 200k with original owner.

Etc.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:26 PM   #32
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by forssd View Post
Thanks to all who responded to my request for being able to tow a 28' FCRBTwin with a new Expedition. Since my prior two Airstream's were Classic 28' and 31', I am also looking at the new 30' Classic. Is there any SUV capable of handling the Classic 30? If so, what configuration is needed and what has to be added? Prior two Tow vehicles were Suburban 2500 3/4 tons! I prefer the SUV style over a pick-up! Thanks!!
If you wanted to go all the way, then a Porsche Cayenne GTS.

Or a Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk.

More prosaically, an Expedition — like the above, with fully independent suspension — if you’ve a family to take with you.

Plenty of others besides.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 02:02 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Lexington , Kentucky
We tow our 2017 30’ Classic with a 2015 BMW X5 diesel. We fad our hitch installed and reinforced by Can-Am RV (Andy Thomson). The X5 is an excellent tow vehicle, MUCH better than our previous Tundra 5.7l. We do use a Hensley hitch. Having a shorter wheelbase makes a huge difference in maneuverability. We can get in and out of gas stations very easily now and can make U-turns in narrow spaces. Both of these things were burdens when towing with our Tundra. We recently drove from Kentucky to California on I -80 and averaged 14.5 MPG for the whole trip. We are limited on payload of course but we don’t carry anything heavy in the X5 other than ourselves. We can stop faster and make emergency maneuvers much better than any pick up. And when we get to our destination we don’t have to drive a big vehicle to the grocery store, etc. By the way, our X5 costs less then a similarly configured Ford Expedition.
wlanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 06:24 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
If it spins that fast you’re doing it wrong. I never even see 4000 rpm. They are designed to run at that rpm, it won’t wear them out.
Oh ? My ram is at 1400 and 63 mph.....

tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote