Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2018, 03:34 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Omro , Wisconsin
TV Advice

Recently sold my 31 ft Classic and Suburban 3/4 ton TV. Looking at the FC28RB Twin and 2018 Ford Expedition as TV. Naturally I will order it with the tow package and plan on a hensly hitch. Question is what model expedition will do the job? Extended version? Also is the Ford Tow package controller adequate or will I need a prodigy controller? Your experienced help would be appreciated. This will be my third airstream. Thank You.
forssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:49 PM   #2
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
A couple of thoughts. I don't have a new Expedition, but I have owned two earlier model Expeditions.

1) When you say which model, there are two answers. There is the standard, and the MAX question, but there is also the XLT, Limited, and Platinum choice.

2) The standard wheelbase has a higher towing capacity according to Ford. Some may worry about the shorter wheelbase compared to the MAX, but I would worry more about the extended rear overhang with the MAX. That overhang produces a lever that is best diminished. If you don't need the room inside, I would get the standard wheelbase model.

3) Don't know if you have decided on XLT, Limited, or Platinum, but I encourage you to visit a dealer and look at actual door jamb stickers on a variety of Expeditions in stock there, for payload capacity. See what the different models are coming in at. Don't go by the payload spec in the brochure or online. More installed options means less actual available payload.

4) No specific knowledge on brake controller. But I would tend to go with the factory controller unless there are documented issues.

Good luck. Nice looking vehicle.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:38 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Byron Center , Michigan
We were looking hard at the new Expeditions but decided to stay with our '16 Suburban (nothing that should impact your choices, though). Regardless, you're going to have to pay close attention to your payloads if you're planning on a 28 with a Hensley. The 28's have nearly a 1000# tongue weight (by the book, before loading) and the Hensley will add 150-200# to that. The Expedition is similar to the Suburban in that the payloads are not much more than 1600-1800#, and you've eaten up 11-1200# with the trailer and hitch.

The shorter wheelbase models will have slightly more payload than the long, and 2WD will have slightly more than 4WD. Lower trim levels will have slightly more than Platinum models... These are all choices that your personal preferences will affect, but will have a direct impact on the overall payload picture. Read the door labels/payload numbers carefully.

If you have a family and plan on a bunch of payload like you could with your 2500 Suburban, you'll be short on carrying capacity. We find ourselves with a bunch of empty space in our Suburban to make the weights work, but we love the Suburban for our family needs the other 85% of our life that it doesn't matter. As always, YMMV.
YippieKiYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 05:06 PM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
The Burb's have sure lost some payload lately....😟

Bob
💫🇱🇷
Old 05-24-2018, 08:19 AM   #5
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by forssd View Post
Recently sold my 31 ft Classic and Suburban 3/4 ton TV. Looking at the FC28RB Twin and 2018 Ford Expedition as TV. Naturally I will order it with the tow package and plan on a hensly hitch. Question is what model expedition will do the job? Extended version? Also is the Ford Tow package controller adequate or will I need a prodigy controller? Your experienced help would be appreciated. This will be my third airstream. Thank You.
Given that the hitch is set using the 3-Pass Scale Method, it’ll be a better rig than any with FF or RR live axles.

Shortest rear overhang — like fully independent suspension — is always the winner.

Andrew Thomson may have recommendations on which tire/wheel package. I’d follow that despite potential additional expense.

As to the brake controller, the DirecLink NE is the step up. Not the Prodigy.

I’d also add the TUSON (Lippert-branded) trailer-mounted electronic antisway.

And you’ll want to review the threads on TT disc brakes. Drums are a bad excuse for performance in this day & age.

The Hensley-patent hitch, the trailer antisway, and antilock disc brakes should all be factory standard.

(Anyone worried over “Payload” doesn’t understand how a WDH works).
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:34 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Assuming the brake controller is the same one Ford puts in the pickup trucks, (and I'd bet it is) it's fine for the application. Can you do better? Of course you can. What's there should be good enough for most folks.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 02:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Just be sure when you are considering payload you look at the front and rear axle payload and not just the total payload. The total payload may be 1,800 for both axles but by the time you subtract the tongue weight and look at what the rear axle can support you will see what your rear payload actually is, (while staying within the total payload limits).

Rear axle payload should be the rear axle rating less the rear axle curb weight. As others have mentioned, the extended overhang will reduce the rear axle payload even more.
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote