Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2018, 12:39 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Annandale , New Jersey
Tundra Integrated Brake Controller

Have had two trips now towing with the new (2017) Tundra and continue to feel that I am not getting sufficient trailer braking power from the IBC.

Am close to installing my P3 Tekonsha from my old Land Cruiser, but wanted to ask if any Tundra folks here are pleased with your integrated controller. Any chance there have been recalls/software upgrade patches from Toyota ?
Fred L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 03:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Have you asked the dealer to check this out? They might be able to tap into some hidden settings IMO. Could also check the voltage coming out of your umbilical cord socket for the brakes. Maybe there is some corrosion in the brake wiring between the TV and the brakes? With a 2007 AS, there are a number of other possible variables IMO, and the recent most-visible possible cause may not be the actual one IMO. Trailer brake adjustment?

Good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 03:07 PM   #3
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Brakes correctly adjusted?

Any chance to use a different TV for a test drive and try different controller?
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 08:55 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waco , Texas
I have a 2014 Tundra Platinum, and it was built before Toyota started installing their factory brake controller. I bought the Tekonsha Prodigy P3 online at Amazon with Tundra wiring harness, and had my Toyota dealer do the install. He told me that majority of Tundra owners here in Texas, pull the factory controllers and replace with Prodigy. Nobody seems to ever get the Toyota factory controllers working correctly.

So he was extremely familiar with the Prodigy install. Took only 45 mins of labor according to my Toyota service invoice.
Martee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:02 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
San Luis Obispo , California
Send a message via AIM to waltb Send a message via Skype™ to waltb
I’ve had similar issues. I just had my 2016 Tundra’s, integrated brake controller software updated, there were recently software changes. I haven’t had a chance to test it but the tech seemed to think the changes would make the difference.
waltb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:36 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1995 21' Sovereign
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltb View Post
I’ve had similar issues. I just had my 2016 Tundra’s, integrated brake controller software updated, there were recently software changes. I haven’t had a chance to test it but the tech seemed to think the changes would make the difference.
2017 tundra here. My brake controller seems to work great
cgseanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:21 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2016 Tundra here. No issues, other than it took awhile to adjust the gain low enough that the trailer brakes would stop locking up everytime I thought about touching the pedal.
Rokitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:49 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Seattle , Washington
I have a 2017 Tundra and just got home yesterday to Seattle from northern BC. I 100 percent agree with the Tundra brake controller not working correctly. Even at max gain the trailer is not slowing down. I am having to use my manual squeeze lever to slow the trailer down on big down hill grades. Every time I pull over my truck brakes are hot and my trailer hubs cool. Even when I completely squeeze the handle, it does not lock up the trailer. I have always thought it should, especially at slow speeds. Isn’t that an emergency braking mechanism to keep the trailer from jack knifing in an emergency?

Last year after returning from a 25 day road trip and having similar problems with a smaller trailer I took my truck to the Toyota dealership and they said there was a software update that they did that would fix the problem. A few months ago I was pulling a car trailer, with brakes, and experienced similar problems. I called the dealership and there answer was to bring the truck and trailer in....

I called Airstream on my last trip and they said it is common for truck owners to switch back to after market controllers and not use integrated. Airstream said the way my truck/trailer is handling is not correct.

My next call is to Toyota, not the dealership. This should not be happening.

I hope to find a solution to this and would be thankful to anyone that has any info to solve it. Hopefully it is not having to have a aftermarket device in the vehicle when you have a built in one.
jathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:58 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Fred,

I purchased a new 2017 last summer. Traded in my '08 and was looking forward to all the new extras. The IBC Toyota installed is not a proportional brake, it is a timed controller. I called Toyota and they told me it was a "solid state" controller which, after some research on my part, meant timed and not proportional.

My brakes locked up and when I adjusted them down I felt like it just wasn't braking the trailer. I wrote the dealer and the company complaining about their choice of controller since the big 3 all were using proportional timers and had very happy customers. No response.

I took this thing out of the dash and installed my P2. Go to YouTube and you will find video about how to do it. There is also a link to get a face plate to use in your dash. Mine went in easily and looks fine. Since it is in the dash it does not hang down and get in the way of my knees like the old one did.

They did say to bring it in and they would check the program and adjust if needed. I interpreted this as a band aid since no matter what they would do I would still have a timed brake controller which I do not want.

Dick
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:14 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Here is the link. This guy made his own face plate. I found a dealer by looking at other videos. All the steps were simple and easy to follow. You will need to get a harness. I got mine at the dealer because it was a new truck and I couldn't find one at the regular outlets I use.

Old 08-19-2018, 10:39 AM   #11
RJJ
3 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 20' Flying Cloud
St Petersburg , Florida
I have a 2018 Tundra LTD with the integrated controller. I haven't discerned any problems with the trailer braking properly... maybe I need to travel more hilly terrain. When braking, I don't feel the trailer pushing the truck... it just stops along with the truck. I have a P3 from my 4Runner I can install if need be, so I appreciate the link to the video.
RJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 11:20 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
RJJ, perhaps they fixed things in 2018. The stories above about hot brakes on the TV and cool ones on the trailer is what I was concerned about. I have towed my 25FB over 41,000 miles and even in town I noticed little to no braking even on the slightest of hills. Timed controllers don't work so well, especially under two conditions. I noticed this first case early. When approaching a stop if you apply the brakes lightly and consistently your trailer brakes will increase force proportional to the time you are applying the brakes. I first had lock up even when slowly going from 30 mph to a stop. Once I adjusted the gain to avoid lockup I really did notice the lack of trailer braking. My P2 is getting old but it works like a champ.

The second scenario would be under an emergency stop which I did not experience. Hit the brakes hard and the trailer brakes will increase but not immediately. Like I said, I don't want a timed controller.

I am really hoping Toyota has addressed this. This is a great TV and it is a shame that they put a cheap controller in trucks prior to and including 2017.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:32 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Annandale , New Jersey
Thanks all. I did a little reading in the Tundra forums on line and appears there is an issue. Seems a new software version is available through the dealer, so will make a call.
Just to note, have been towing the past year with my 2006 Land Cruiser and have a Tekonsha P3 installed in there, same 23ft and works great.

I did see the fellows You Tube video and decided since the Tekonsha worked so well, and the install looks close to factory, am simply going to pull the IBC from Toyota and install the P3.
All in all I love the truck, but I dont like having a concern about the brakes.

PS - Aftermath, I followed the Tundra manual and took my rig out on a nearby gravel road and at 25 mph, could not get the trailer brakes to lock up even all the way up to the 10 setting, so something is not right.

Will check the 7 pin, but all other lights are working fine.

There was one note in the Tundra forums about factory settings being set minimal for liability purposes, but that really makes no sense to me, so will just make the switch to a controller I really like and trust.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:45 PM   #14
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Airsream sells and installs DirecLink controllers by Tuson. See the stores website. That controller uses the TVs OBDII socket to sense the vehicles braking action. Consequently, there is no time delay and braking is proportional to the TV. The available vehicle compatibility may not apply to you make and model. I have really been impressed with mine for over five years.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:11 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waco , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
I followed the Tundra manual and took my rig out on a nearby gravel road and at 25 mph, could not get the trailer brakes to lock up even all the way up to the 10 setting, so something is not right.

Will check the 7 pin, but all other lights are working fine.

There was one note in the Tundra forums about factory settings being set minimal for liability purposes, but that really makes no sense to me, so will just make the switch to a controller I really like and trust.
This is why you should swap out the Tundra factory brake controller for the Prodigy P3 controller. It's really effortless for the Toyota dealer to do the install. And it pays off in improved safety during towing.

Incidentally, all the Tundra vehicles are assembled here in Texas.....and the high number of factory brake controllers being replaced by owners has caught Toyota Tundra engineers attention. Rumors are Toyota may simply install the Tekonsha Prodigy P3 at the factory.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:32 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Annandale , New Jersey
The new install bracket and harness/connector are ordered and I will be installing them my Tekonsha P3 soon.

This isnt one I plan to "test" with changes to the Toyota IBC software updates etc.

Industrious young fellow selling the install bracket on ebay, that he designed and printed on his 3D printer.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:54 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waco , Texas
Fred....you will not be disappointed !
Fully read the small instruction booklet that comes with the brake controller, and learn how to adjust the gain to a proper level.

Also, know how to use the manual trailer braking lever on the P3 controller. It may someday be very useful in an emergency.

Happy Trails.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:06 AM   #18
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
Airsream sells and installs DirecLink controllers by Tuson. See the stores website. That controller uses the TVs OBDII socket to sense the vehicles braking action. Consequently, there is no time delay and braking is proportional to the TV. The available vehicle compatibility may not apply to you make and model. I have really been impressed with mine for over five years.
guskmg
You all should pay attention. This man has a rig far above ordinary. (Meaning you’d get an education in reading every post he’s made). The P2/P3 is a minimal, entry-level brake controller. (That there is worse is irrelevant).

There’s ZERO reason to consider other than a DirecLink controller.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 08:19 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Annandale , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
You all should pay attention. This man has a rig far above ordinary. (Meaning you’d get an education in reading every post he’s made). The P2/P3 is a minimal, entry-level brake controller. (That there is worse is irrelevant).

There’s ZERO reason to consider other than a DirecLink controller.

I have no doubts, but the fact that I already own a P3 and have been quite pleased with it in my Land Cruiser, for now will stay with it and just re-install in my Tundra.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:40 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Ventura , California
You have to use the Tow Haul Mode. Significant difference in braking in lower gears. I hav a 25 FB at 6800 Lbs and braking is great at level 9.
Rpwrs is offline   Reply With Quote