Old 08-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #113
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
He ended up with a 3/4 ton Ram diesel and has a Flying Cloud 30' bunkhouse on order...
Smart man. Sounded like that was where he was going to end up sooner or later. He'll never be sorry he has the Cummings bolted to a 3/4 ton pulling the 30.

Old 08-03-2013, 03:06 PM   #114
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Yup

AS pickup end of October

I decided to go 3/4 ton cause I'll do quite a bit of entertaining with my family and with my siblings and their kids so I figured in the need for the higher payload

We decided we will likely get a generator as well for stuff like a bit of tailgating and definately later boondocking - so as I ran the numbers it made sense for me

Got the TV used on Carmax with 50k miles - ill share more about towing later but for now it's just a big beautiful truck - terrible city mileage good hwy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-998456339.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	473.9 KB
ID:	192354  

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:20 PM   #115
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Yup

AS pickup end of October

I decided to go 3/4 ton cause I'll do quite a bit of entertaining with my family and with my siblings and their kids so I figured in the need for the higher payload

We decided we will likely get a generator as well for stuff like a bit of tailgating and definately later boondocking - so as I ran the numbers it made sense for me

Got the TV used on Carmax with 50k miles - ill share more about towing later but for now it's just a big beautiful truck - terrible city mileage good hwy
Pharm, while you are here, let me suggest you read some of threads: Trailer forums, corrosion problems with new AS. If you know what to look for and catch it right away, you will stop a problem before it has a chance to hardly get started. Wish I had known of the potential issues, what to look for and how to correct when I bought our 2012. Instead. I found out the hard way, and thus, repairs are larger and more complicated.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:29 PM   #116
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Howard - I have dredged through a few of those threads - leaks - floor rot - filiform corrosion -

As a result will be routinely applying anti corrosion measures and treating any new filiform that pops up - buying leak detector to check things quarterly or more -

I'll be quite anal with preventative maintenance and if problems within first 2 years I'll catch it as best I can

I've read on this forum ad nauseum

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:08 PM   #117
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
...and he's getting a ProPride.

Ain't no half steppin' goin' on 'round here!
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:31 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
...and he's getting a ProPride.

Ain't no half steppin' goin' on 'round here!
Just like a geek. Those guys do their research and get it right the first time. Us old guys learn by trial and error, meaning getting it wrong then fixing it. Good luck Pharm boy, ypu're going to love the TV power and the 30.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #119
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Geek has definitely done his research and got a top notch rig.
Ain't many half steppers in the Airstream realm.
My learning curve- mistake- was having a sob first. I should have held out for an Airstream in the first place.
PharmGeek did his research and bought the right tool for the job.
For me it's pretty much Airstream or no trailer.
PharmGeek didn't cut corners or settle on anything.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 08-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #120
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
It's that trial and error or learning from our mistakes that lets us know we got it right this time around.
I will probably be happy with my rig for many years- 15, 20, 30 years- who knows? We'll see.
I plan on leaving the trailer to the kids- an Heirstream trailer- hey! That's a catchy new name for it!
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 08-14-2013, 07:46 AM   #121
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
After towing our 1972 27' Overlander from Houston TX to Glacier NP (5228.3 miles), the answer is yes. Gas mileage averaged 11 mpg, used traction control once during a rainstorm, and anti-sway control once in Montana, trying to pass an 18 wheeler. Lowest gas price $3.35 (Seguin, TX), Highest $4.10 (Glacier NP). Tundra is a 2013, 5.7L, 4X4, Platinum addition. Most creative thing done with truck, taking pictures of bears through the sun roof.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:25 PM   #122
LFC
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
And it'll be running strong when the Dodge needs a new transmission....
Old 08-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #123
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Kalispell , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC View Post
And it'll be running strong when the Dodge needs a new transmission....
The 68RFE is a pretty beefy transmission. As a matter of fact, I have not been able to find any data that would suggest the repair rates and reliability of that transmission are any different than the "gold standard" in diesel towing(allison). While I agree that the Toyota is a nice truck, and it will be a nice truck for a long time, the diesel is a better and overall safer towing platform for the larger Airstreams. For the smaller versions, the Tundra is a heck of a towing rig. I have towed with the half ton and my current truck. I averaged 14mpg from Seattle to Kalispell last week. That drive includes 3 mountain passes. You won't see that kind of efficiency on a half ton truck(we also have a 2011 Ram 1500).
Old 08-23-2013, 01:34 PM   #124
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Although diesel torque is a wonderful thing, I don't think I would use efficiency as an advantage over gas, considering higher purchase, fuel, and maintenance costs. Unless you keep it for a long, long time.

doug
Old 08-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #125
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Although diesel torque is a wonderful thing, I don't think I would use efficiency as an advantage over gas, considering higher purchase, fuel, and maintenance costs. Unless you keep it for a long, long time.

doug
But remember, with the diesel and the 3/4 ton, you are buying much more than torque and gas mileage. Look at the suspension, brakes, tires, transmission on the 3/4 as compared to a 1/2 ton vehicle. With the bigger trailers, that does not go unnoticed by the driver or the trailer. I reasons for the bigger truck start to add up when you get to the 30s or even the 27/28. That said, I met a guy this week, pulling his new 28 with an older 283 Tahoe, he was real pleased. (maybe cause he's older like me and needs to stop at gas stations often for more than one reason)
Didn't ask him if he upgraded his hitch receiver--sure hope he did.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:11 PM   #126
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
Great thread, as it helped me with the exact same decision. Ended up with the 2500 diesel, as payload was a concern. I also sometimes want to haul dirt bikes when camping, so that alone probably ruled out a Tundra.

With 1k miles, happy so far. The RAM is averaging 17-19mpg with 70% Hwy trips, and I live in the foothills of the Cascades, which means climbing hills and lower mileage. I got 20 mpg on a long drive from Kellogg, ID to Seattle. A light foot keeps the gas mileage in check. The ride is stiffer than a Tundra but not unbearably so. Bigger issue is size, as I have to think about parking. I haven't towed anything heavy yet, but no worries there. Class V hitch is standard.

The new RAM interior is pretty nice. Feels like a Chrysler 300. The built in exhaust brake is very cool, as are the built in trailer brakes. RAM really thought this rig through. Can't wait for the first long trip when my trailer is delivered.

I've owned Hondas and hope the Cummins proves as reliable as they say.