Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-14-2013, 06:46 AM   #121
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
After towing our 1972 27' Overlander from Houston TX to Glacier NP (5228.3 miles), the answer is yes. Gas mileage averaged 11 mpg, used traction control once during a rainstorm, and anti-sway control once in Montana, trying to pass an 18 wheeler. Lowest gas price $3.35 (Seguin, TX), Highest $4.10 (Glacier NP). Tundra is a 2013, 5.7L, 4X4, Platinum addition. Most creative thing done with truck, taking pictures of bears through the sun roof.
dhtullos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:25 PM   #122
LFC
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
And it'll be running strong when the Dodge needs a new transmission....
LFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:08 PM   #123
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Kalispell , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC View Post
And it'll be running strong when the Dodge needs a new transmission....
The 68RFE is a pretty beefy transmission. As a matter of fact, I have not been able to find any data that would suggest the repair rates and reliability of that transmission are any different than the "gold standard" in diesel towing(allison). While I agree that the Toyota is a nice truck, and it will be a nice truck for a long time, the diesel is a better and overall safer towing platform for the larger Airstreams. For the smaller versions, the Tundra is a heck of a towing rig. I have towed with the half ton and my current truck. I averaged 14mpg from Seattle to Kalispell last week. That drive includes 3 mountain passes. You won't see that kind of efficiency on a half ton truck(we also have a 2011 Ram 1500).
AlphaInfinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:34 PM   #124
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Although diesel torque is a wonderful thing, I don't think I would use efficiency as an advantage over gas, considering higher purchase, fuel, and maintenance costs. Unless you keep it for a long, long time.

doug
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:42 PM   #125
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Although diesel torque is a wonderful thing, I don't think I would use efficiency as an advantage over gas, considering higher purchase, fuel, and maintenance costs. Unless you keep it for a long, long time.

doug
But remember, with the diesel and the 3/4 ton, you are buying much more than torque and gas mileage. Look at the suspension, brakes, tires, transmission on the 3/4 as compared to a 1/2 ton vehicle. With the bigger trailers, that does not go unnoticed by the driver or the trailer. I reasons for the bigger truck start to add up when you get to the 30s or even the 27/28. That said, I met a guy this week, pulling his new 28 with an older 283 Tahoe, he was real pleased. (maybe cause he's older like me and needs to stop at gas stations often for more than one reason)
Didn't ask him if he upgraded his hitch receiver--sure hope he did.
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:11 PM   #126
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
Great thread, as it helped me with the exact same decision. Ended up with the 2500 diesel, as payload was a concern. I also sometimes want to haul dirt bikes when camping, so that alone probably ruled out a Tundra.

With 1k miles, happy so far. The RAM is averaging 17-19mpg with 70% Hwy trips, and I live in the foothills of the Cascades, which means climbing hills and lower mileage. I got 20 mpg on a long drive from Kellogg, ID to Seattle. A light foot keeps the gas mileage in check. The ride is stiffer than a Tundra but not unbearably so. Bigger issue is size, as I have to think about parking. I haven't towed anything heavy yet, but no worries there. Class V hitch is standard.

The new RAM interior is pretty nice. Feels like a Chrysler 300. The built in exhaust brake is very cool, as are the built in trailer brakes. RAM really thought this rig through. Can't wait for the first long trip when my trailer is delivered.

I've owned Hondas and hope the Cummins proves as reliable as they say.
Lara Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:13 AM   #127
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Great truck for a large Airstream. Parking looks to be a major challenge. There is no free lunch.

Welcome.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:09 AM   #128
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Classic
Yakima , Washington
We pull a 27 FB classic with a 1/2 Ford 5.4 with no problems and get between 11 - 12 miles per gallon. We travelled last week with a couple that have a 32ft 5th wheel and diesel truck. They spent $100.00 more on fuel than we did. You should have no trouble with a 1/2 truck.
Mike-Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:06 PM   #129
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Kalispell , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara Me View Post
Great thread, as it helped me with the exact same decision. Ended up with the 2500 diesel, as payload was a concern. I also sometimes want to haul dirt bikes when camping, so that alone probably ruled out a Tundra.

With 1k miles, happy so far. The RAM is averaging 17-19mpg with 70% Hwy trips, and I live in the foothills of the Cascades, which means climbing hills and lower mileage. I got 20 mpg on a long drive from Kellogg, ID to Seattle. A light foot keeps the gas mileage in check. The ride is stiffer than a Tundra but not unbearably so. Bigger issue is size, as I have to think about parking. I haven't towed anything heavy yet, but no worries there. Class V hitch is standard.

The new RAM interior is pretty nice. Feels like a Chrysler 300. The built in exhaust brake is very cool, as are the built in trailer brakes. RAM really thought this rig through. Can't wait for the first long trip when my trailer is delivered.

I've owned Hondas and hope the Cummins proves as reliable as they say.
Great looking truck! You made the right decision, especially with your cargo requirments.
AlphaInfinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:58 PM   #130

richmond , Kentucky
I have a 2010 tundra crewmax platinum and a 2004 28' safari with three girls and a dog. I got the propride hitch and it does great for us. I looked at the Chevy 3/4 with diesel but did not want to give up the room in the back seat. I have not taken it across the Rockies yet but will next summer.
bdyer is offline   Reply With Quote