Old 06-13-2013, 10:38 AM   #99
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Gene I doubt it's a Tundra problem as well, based on using the lighter duty 2006 Tundra towing our 25'. Replacing the soft factory tires with XL tires made things much more steady. Nor is it a Ram 1500 problem which we have now.

Hitches matter though, they need good weight distribution and sway control. I mentioned Hensley/Propride as the ultimate cure, eliminates sway altogether.

doug k

Old 06-13-2013, 11:10 AM   #100
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Doug, we replaced our OEM LR C tires with LR E tires, but there was no sway before nor after. No doubt the $2K+ hitches are superior, at least for 30'+ trailers, but for us the Equalizer works just fine. Even when it was maladjusted by the dealer, no sway. I think it would have to be installed really, really badly to cause sway.

So either we are so insensitive as to not notice sway, others are imagining it, or their hitches are badly adjusted. I suppose the Airstream running gear could be screwed up too, even on a new one. I can't remember exactly who it was (one of the Bob's I think) who found his shocks were installed upside down, for ex. But older ones may have worn running gear that contributes to sway.

Detecting sway is somewhat subjective. When I am behind someone pulling a trailer, usually, but not always a utility trailer, swaying all over the lane, I wonder if he knows it. Inevitably they have no sway control at all and I want to get around them as soon as I can.

Gene

Old 06-13-2013, 01:11 PM   #101
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
About sway....when we bought our '01 25' it came with a Reese Dual Cam hitch, and the trailer swayed, bad. Later, I figured out the hitch was not adjusted right, and that particular hitch is a PITA to adjust right, and if it's not adjusted right, it actually adds to the sway. Anyway, after I got it adjusted right, the sway was diminished, but it still swayed. Later, I learned the wheels weren't adjusted right, so I got them adjusted. The trailer still swayed.

I was fed up with it, so I ordered a ProPride hitch. The trailer never swayed again as long as we owned it, and we did tow it to Alaska and back with the ProPride.

I still think the wheels were not adjusted correctly on that trailer, and was causing the sway. Sway, or a trailer's tendency to sway, will ruin the experience for you.

But, that was with a GMC.....maybe if I'd had a Tundra..... :-)
Old 06-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #102
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We never had any sway with Tundra or Ram either, defined as oscillations. We did have push from winds and semi's and that created an angle of the truck to the trailer, from which it returns when the side force is gone.

That can be discomforting. Stiffer truck tires helped. Pushing the trailer into a tow angle to the truck is not possible with the Hensley/ProPride system; only the truck can initiate a turn because of the design of their linkage.

For that reason if someone is concerned about the tail wagging the dog, keep the Tundra and get a better hitch, and forget about it.

doug k
Old 06-13-2013, 06:36 PM   #103
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Isolation from what is happening on the road is not the definition of best TV or best WDH w/antisway. Feedback to the driver is important on the one hand, and there will be times -- winds, mainly -- when one is aware of the TT acting on the TV on the other hand.

Determining what feedback is a more complex subject. But is mainly in suspension and steerng sophistication.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #104
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
To,answer the original question, I would say, "Yes. A Tundra is enough truck for a 27' Airstream. If it is enough for a 30' then it is enough for a 27'."
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:52 PM   #105
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post

But, that was with a GMC.....maybe if I'd had a Tundra..... :-)
And, Steve, you still can! Don't deny yourself bliss any longer. If you'd had a Tundra, your glass doors wouldn't have come off the track either and you'd be handsome. You owe this to yourself.

Gene
Old 06-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #106
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
And, Steve, you still can! Don't deny yourself bliss any longer. If you'd had a Tundra, your glass doors wouldn't have come off the track either and you'd be handsome. You owe this to yourself.

Gene
Yea, but to make a Tundra tow our trailer I'd have to change the tires, add overload springs, change the shocks, put bigger brakes on it, reinforce the frame, etc., etc., because it just not rated to handle the weight.

And besides, if I got any more handsome, I just don't think I'd have the will power, or strength to fight off all the women.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:52 PM   #107
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Yea, but to make a Tundra tow our trailer I'd have to change the tires, add overload springs, change the shocks, put bigger brakes on it, reinforce the frame, etc., etc., because it just not rated to handle the weight.

And besides, if I got any more handsome, I just don't think I'd have the will power, or strength to fight off all the women.
Steve, you worry about details too much. And as handsome as I am, somehow I don't have to fight off women. I don't understand why not, but most of them must have bad eyesight.

Gene
Old 06-17-2013, 08:03 PM   #108
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I am still figuring this question out and I appreciate all the comments on this topic..

My question is about payload.

My wife and I are both pretty light...we have right now our nearly 3 year old son, 5 month old baby, our boston terrier. Probably on beach trips we would tote the most crap...beach chairs, umbrellas, cooler, couple fishing poles...likely shore power for those trips so no genie needed.. perhaps our larger tent prop up if meeting up with friends...I cant quite anticipate in my mind if say the tundra (or hemi, or eco boost)

I predict we will get a generator (two? if we need to AC units for summer camping, which we do locally) - perhaps a couple bikes and stuff for kids....of course later down the road as the kids get bigger, there will be more stuff....

I just do not know yet about payload.

Much of more local weekend trips will be pretty flat I guess in my area...but I suspect we will hit the mountains in NC, georgia, virginia...

Have not yet decided on 28' vs. 30 flying cloud....will be going to look in a few weeks for final determination with my wife...I think the 28 will be just fine.

Anyway....is 3/4 ton safer with a growing family....alternatively, I could go with tundra and presumably have no payload issues for the next 5-6 years as kids are still pretty small....

Thoughts?

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:04 PM   #109
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
sorry for the quick hijack, as I have essentially the same question about 1/2 ton vs. 3/4 ton....

Im going to do some test driving next week as well.

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:31 AM   #110
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
You will find the half-ton trucks ride better when being used as a daily driver. The 3/4 tons ride good when loaded.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 08-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #111
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
I am still figuring this question out and I appreciate all the comments on this topic..

My question is about payload.

My wife and I are both pretty light...we have right now our nearly 3 year old son, 5 month old baby, our boston terrier. Probably on beach trips we would tote the most crap...beach chairs, umbrellas, cooler, couple fishing poles...likely shore power for those trips so no genie needed.. perhaps our larger tent prop up if meeting up with friends...I cant quite anticipate in my mind if say the tundra (or hemi, or eco boost)

I predict we will get a generator (two? if we need to AC units for summer camping, which we do locally) - perhaps a couple bikes and stuff for kids....of course later down the road as the kids get bigger, there will be more stuff....

I just do not know yet about payload.

Much of more local weekend trips will be pretty flat I guess in my area...but I suspect we will hit the mountains in NC, georgia, virginia...

Have not yet decided on 28' vs. 30 flying cloud....will be going to look in a few weeks for final determination with my wife...I think the 28 will be just fine.

Anyway....is 3/4 ton safer with a growing family....alternatively, I could go with tundra and presumably have no payload issues for the next 5-6 years as kids are still pretty small....

Thoughts?
Haven't been this thread for awhile--been totally consumed with Filiform corrosion. Wondering, Pharm, what did you decide on trailer (28-30) and TV 3/4 or 1/2 ton?
Old 08-03-2013, 02:42 PM   #112
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
He ended up with a 3/4 ton Ram diesel and has a Flying Cloud 30' bunkhouse on order...

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955