Old 06-09-2013, 02:54 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
(I go 55 mpg)

You and everyone towing with a Tundra seem to like the truck, so I have no doubt it must be a great 1/2 ton. 55 on Texas highways would be pretty intimidating, however. You would be blown past by even grandma. (You know Texans, we think big, fast and everybody carries a gun.) If you haven't, I would suggest contacting Toyota and find out what the load rating for the factory hitch receiver is--specifically the tongue wt. rating. Your 30 Classic is about as heavy as you can get with the new ASs. and I think you are 773# laying on that receiver--empty trailer. Tundra may be OK. 1/2 ton Chevy was not.

Howard

Old 06-09-2013, 03:35 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Not sure why you say that about a Chev 1/2 ton, the receiver can easily handle that. It seems the limitation on the 1/2 ton comes with how much stuff you can load in the truck once you add that tongue weight...not a lot.
Larry

Old 06-09-2013, 04:24 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard L. View Post
(I go 55 mpg)

You and everyone towing with a Tundra seem to like the truck, so I have no doubt it must be a great 1/2 ton. 55 on Texas highways would be pretty intimidating, however. You would be blown past by even grandma. (You know Texans, we think big, fast and everybody carries a gun.) If you haven't, I would suggest contacting Toyota and find out what the load rating for the factory hitch receiver is--specifically the tongue wt. rating. Your 30 Classic is about as heavy as you can get with the new ASs. and I think you are 773# laying on that receiver--empty trailer. Tundra may be OK. 1/2 ton Chevy was not.

Howard
It was a trip to Texas that made me decide to go 55. I went 70 going to Texas and got 7 mpg. I went 55 coming home and got 10. Let everybody, including school buses, go around me because I don't want to take the hit in the hip pocket.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:33 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard L. View Post
(I go 55 mpg)

Howard
My boss has a 2011 Silverado with the 6.2 motor. It doesn't accelerate nearly as quickly as my Tundra. He had a 20' car hauling trailer with a small John Deere tractor hooked up the other day. The truck and trailer had a severe swag in the middle and the motor was screaming to accelerate. I have hauled this same trailer and tractor with a Duramax and a 1 ton with the 5.7 and they towed it much easier. I have towed an enclosed cargo trailer with 2 Harley's behind the Tundra like the trailer wasn't even there with limousine room in the back seat.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #75
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I would give the Ford F150, 3.5L a very serious look. Power of a V8 in a 6 cylinder engine. When not hooked up then really good fuel milage. If you get serious make sure you specify the 36 gallon tank.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:02 PM   #76
2 Rivet Member

2010 31' Classic
Crestview , Florida
We used to tow a 28 Safari with our Tundra. Now we tow a 31 Classic. At 80,000 miles on the odometer it,s our TV and a personal car. We would never buy any other brand. It tows the 31 better than it did our 28.
It takes turns like no other truck. The bed is full of my husband,s cooking equipment and the trailer is filled with stuff. We travel 5 months a year.
On flat terrain we do 12-13 mpg.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:56 PM   #77
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Just bought a 2013 Tundra 5.7L CrewMax. It tows awesome for a 1/2 ton. I looked at Ford, and towing specs were better with the Toyota. Mileage is around 10 with E85 and 12 with gas. We had a 2006 4.7L Tundra and it's mileage was 10, but it was hard on the transmission.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:19 PM   #78
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
I have a 2001 Tundra now and tow our 27FB Safari. No issues. Does it pull a 7 or 8% grade at 70 MPH? No but it does fine for now. I am currently looking at the 2013 Tundra. I think it is a great truck. While it is called a 1/2 ton, look at the ring gear and breaks. The 10.5" ring gear is 3/4 ton material. Large breaks and calipers. Don't be fooled by the 1/2 ton status.
The Ford ecoboost is also a good truck but things I am reading say they are having issues in high humidity regions like areas of Washington state.
One more thing...read the article on AS towing in the Winter edition of Airstream Life. VERY informative.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:17 AM   #79
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronman View Post
I have a 2001 Tundra now and tow our 27FB Safari. No issues. Does it pull a 7 or 8% grade at 70 MPH? No but it does fine for now. I am currently looking at the 2013 Tundra. I think it is a great truck. While it is called a 1/2 ton, look at the ring gear and breaks. The 10.5" ring gear is 3/4 ton material. Large breaks and calipers. Don't be fooled by the 1/2 ton status.
The Ford ecoboost is also a good truck but things I am reading say they are having issues in high humidity regions like areas of Washington state.
One more thing...read the article on AS towing in the Winter edition of Airstream Life. VERY informative.
If you are looking at a 2013 please wait till the restyled 2014 is available to make a decision. The drivetrain and doors will be the same, but it will have a new front cap, bed, interior, and new color choices (although silver is the only color for me).
Old 06-10-2013, 06:54 AM   #80
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Taft , Texas
Son in law bought a Dodge diesel and loved the Cummins but that truck beat a person to death. He bought a Ford and loves it. In a jealous moment, I bought a new 2013 Ford 250 diesel and am crazy about it. Rides as well as my F-150 did, and the diesel is great. We all have an opinion, and that's all this is, but riding in Brent's Dodge you knew you were in a truck. The Ford is wonderful. I'd rather take the Ford 250 on a drive than my wife's BMW. JMHO.
2016 F-350 6.7 Diesel (Overkill and loving it)
Matt Kline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:56 AM   #81
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Taft , Texas
Tried to change the truck on my profile and it won't change? Anyone help me with that.
2016 F-350 6.7 Diesel (Overkill and loving it)
Matt Kline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:34 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Not sure why you say that about a Chev 1/2 ton, the receiver can easily handle that. It seems the limitation on the 1/2 ton comes with how much stuff you can load in the truck once you add that tongue weight...not a lot.
Larry
Just passing on what GMC told me. The Hitch Receiver on the 2011 1/2 ton Chevy was tongue weight limited to 600#. Since a Class III ball mount is a 600# TW and 6000# tow weight, I could only conclude that the Tow package on that truck was a Class III. I'm sure it would tow A 7500-8000# pound Airstream with a 800# TW just fine. But you would be over weight per specs. I just took off the factory hitch/sold on Craig's list and replaced with a class IV.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Kline View Post
Tried to change the truck on my profile and it won't change? Anyone help me with that.
one way: Click on "private messages" under your Welcome name in the upper right hand corner of Forum page. Then on the left side see control panel: Edit details. That will take you to the page to change things.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:15 PM   #84
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
Good call, M.hony. I will do just that. Also...I did hear a rumor that Toyota is coming out with a diesel motor in the next year or two. This is really fun to watch all of the truck manufacturers vie for our tow vehicle dollar! It just gets better and better!