Old 08-24-2013, 07:13 AM   #127
Rivet Master
1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Great truck for a large Airstream. Parking looks to be a major challenge. There is no free lunch.

TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:09 AM   #128
2 Rivet Member
2012 27' FB Classic
yakima , Washington
We pull a 27 FB classic with a 1/2 Ford 5.4 with no problems and get between 11 - 12 miles per gallon. We travelled last week with a couple that have a 32ft 5th wheel and diesel truck. They spent $100.00 more on fuel than we did. You should have no trouble with a 1/2 truck.

Mike and Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:06 PM   #129
1 Rivet Member
2014 27' FB International
Kalispell , Montana
Originally Posted by Lara Me View Post
Great thread, as it helped me with the exact same decision. Ended up with the 2500 diesel, as payload was a concern. I also sometimes want to haul dirt bikes when camping, so that alone probably ruled out a Tundra.

With 1k miles, happy so far. The RAM is averaging 17-19mpg with 70% Hwy trips, and I live in the foothills of the Cascades, which means climbing hills and lower mileage. I got 20 mpg on a long drive from Kellogg, ID to Seattle. A light foot keeps the gas mileage in check. The ride is stiffer than a Tundra but not unbearably so. Bigger issue is size, as I have to think about parking. I haven't towed anything heavy yet, but no worries there. Class V hitch is standard.

The new RAM interior is pretty nice. Feels like a Chrysler 300. The built in exhaust brake is very cool, as are the built in trailer brakes. RAM really thought this rig through. Can't wait for the first long trip when my trailer is delivered.

I've owned Hondas and hope the Cummins proves as reliable as they say.
Great looking truck! You made the right decision, especially with your cargo requirments.
AlphaInfinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:58 PM   #130
richmond , Kentucky
I have a 2010 tundra crewmax platinum and a 2004 28' safari with three girls and a dog. I got the propride hitch and it does great for us. I looked at the Chevy 3/4 with diesel but did not want to give up the room in the back seat. I have not taken it across the Rockies yet but will next summer.

bdyer is offline   Reply With Quote