Old 06-19-2013, 01:45 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

New braunfels , Texas
Tundra 2011 w/tow package integrated sway control

2011 Tundra CrewMax w/tow package and integrated sway control.

Just purchased a 1992 34-excella with triple axel, taking delivery later this week. Got a trailer brake controller for the truck, but haven't purchased a sway control/weight distribution hitch yet.

I'm trying to figure out if I really need to drop $3k on a sway elimination setup if I have sway control on the truck.

Do I really need weight distribution as well?

I know sway elimination is better than sway control after the fact, but $3k is rough. If I had the cash I wouldn't hesitate, makes sense. Kids gotta eat when we camp though!

I've seen some comments that the triple axle units sway less to begin with, plus I have the sway control in the truck.

thanks in advance
-Terry

Old 06-19-2013, 01:57 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Newport , Oregon
I tow a 25 foot AS with my 2009 Tundra. I highly recommend an Equalizer hitch with built in sway control. They're less than 1K new, and half that or less, used. You'll be glad you went that way.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
You absolutely need both weight distribution and sway control. You are going to drop a half ton of tongue weight on the back of your Tundra which, unless properly distributed, is going to alter your steering geometry and probably overload the Tundra's rear axle.

I have a 31' twin axle that is very stable but I wouldn't tow it around the block without anti-sway. The electronics in your truck will be very helpful but the idea is to dampen or eliminate the problem before it can get out of hand.

The folks using the Hensley or Pro-Pride rave about them but, as you noted, they cost a small fortune, they weigh a ton and the bluest language I ever heard in a campground was from a guy trying to get his trailer hooked up with a PP... I imagine it is a skill one masters but that was one unhappy puppy...

All of the presently available hitches have their pro's and cons and all should do the job providing they are properly installed and dialed in. I have a Reese Straight-line that works fine but is noisy and greasy. I plan on going to an Anderson this year but that is going to require changing my coupler as well so I wouldn't recommend it to a rookie.

My 2 cents,

Mike
Old 06-20-2013, 08:09 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

New braunfels , Texas
Looks like I found an answer from the owners manual on this incase anyone in the future has this question.

Tundra owners manual 2011 (TU-9), page 269:

-If the gross trailer weight is over the unbraked TWR, trailer service brakes are required.

-If the gross trailer weight is over 2000 lb. (907 kg), a sway control device with sufficient capacity is required.

-If the gross trailer weight is over 5000 lb. (2268 kg), a weight distributing hitch with sufficient capacity is required.

The older I get the more impressed I am about what can be found in manuals when read.

I was hoping to keep from spending that kind of money on this trailer out of the gate. Really needed a 2nd a/c for this beast first.

thanks for the responses and help...
Old 06-20-2013, 08:23 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4air View Post
Looks like I found an answer from the owners manual on this incase anyone in the future has this question.

Tundra owners manual 2011 (TU-9), page 269:

-If the gross trailer weight is over the unbraked TWR, trailer service brakes are required.

-If the gross trailer weight is over 2000 lb. (907 kg), a sway control device with sufficient capacity is required.

-If the gross trailer weight is over 5000 lb. (2268 kg), a weight distributing hitch with sufficient capacity is required.

The older I get the more impressed I am about what can be found in manuals when read.

I was hoping to keep from spending that kind of money on this trailer out of the gate. Really needed a 2nd a/c for this beast first.

thanks for the responses and help...
Helpful for sure but in my opinion it should a default for towing travel trailers regardless of weight; a properly adjusted weight distribution system and some sway control or elimination as added insurance. The size and weight of the tow vehicle is immaterial.

If it's a Toyota I'm guessing that the electronic sway control is going start adjusting power and brakes to individual wheels on the TV if it detects any sway. I've never seen this demonstrated but the TRAC stability control on my Toyota seems to do a good job of stopping me skidding, even in snow. That said, trailer sway is a function of the trailer rather than the TV so stopping that trailer swaying first is probably better than trying to get the TV to stop the sway once it's started. That said, I remain open-minded about these electronic systems; they may be really good but I'd like to see some evidence before I trusted it.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:51 AM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

The answer is obviously yes, you do need sway control and weight distribution as you have already found out in the tow vehicle's manual.

A triple axle Airstream is a large and heavy trailer. As you will be pushing the limits of any half ton tow vehicle, you will need all the help you can get.

Brian

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote