Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
san antonio , Texas
Tuff Tow

Have a 2000 F150 for towing. First tow was for 500 miles and quickly realized that the 25' Safari 2004 was a little heavy on the truck hitch. Have all the sway and heavy duty hitch things, but steering is questionable especially when semi-trucks pass us. Have ordered air shocks to be installed next week, but today saw an ad for Tuff Tow. Has anybody had any experience with Tuff Tow addition to the trailer? Here is the web-site I found TUFF TOW. Never heard of such a thing until today. Input appreciated.
JudyBug
judybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:14 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
san antonio , Texas
Just found the price section on web-site. Ouch!!
Old 10-07-2012, 10:35 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Before looking at add on's back to basics...

Is the WDH you are using the correct size (weight rating) and is it set up correctly?

Do you have much weight in the bed of the truck?

What type of tires are on the truck? Are they in good shape?
Old 10-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
That solution has been around for a long time. However that one seems more substantial than the old ones that I seen. I have no idea how well it would work. However, where would you put your propane tanks.

There is another thing I would like to mention. I am concerned about the air shocks you have ordered, That makes me think that you feel the rear of the truck is low. If that is the case, the front is also high. That means that there is not enough weight on the front axle. That will make the steering unstable. If you use air shocks to bring the truck back to level, you will only be masking the situation. It will look a lot better, but preform exactly the same. I have no idea what hitch you are using, but I see know reason why the hitch could not be adjusted to allow your truck to drive safely and comfortably. If possible a photo of your truck and trailer hitched as you tow them and a complete description of your hitch, will help figure this out. There are many experienced and knowledgeable people here to help you figure this out.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:06 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1997 28' Excella
Eden , Utah
I have a 2006 chevy 1/2 ton in which I pull a 28 foot Excella wide body. I have not had an issue with this setup which is probably a 1000 lbs heavier than what you are pulling. It's all in the hitch set up, I have an equilizer with 1000 lb bars that I set up myself and thought I had it right, (wrong). Even though it trailed nicely there was something that just didn't feel right back there. Recently I had to get some work done at my local RV repair shop and they noticed the hitch was not canted properly and resolved the problem. I took a trip right after this modification and it towed a lot better. Have a qualified RV shop look at your setup and see if it is correct.

Hanko
HankO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Judy,
Per the previous post, I would reccomend you take your rig to Texas RV on Austin Highway and let Tony have a look at it. I have pulled my 1997 30' Excella wide-body with a 1/2 ton and it was ok. Not thye best thing to do, mind but it was ok. Sphere Guy pulls a Safari like your with a 1/2 ton Ford-maybe PM him about his hitch set up.
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
Hey Judy,

I do have a F150 but only have a 23' Safari. I have the Equalizer 4 way with 1000 lb bars.

I am concerned, as others, that you are not set up correctly. Your TV and 25'er should be a good match. Having a reputable RV vendor look it over is as Bruce says is a good thing to do. And you should get the most benefit.

What exactly is your heavy duty hitch and sway control? Letting us know will surely help. And pictures of you hitched up will help also.

You should not need air bags installed. And the Tuff Tow would be overkill, IMHO, and adds another un-needed contraption a 2 more tires.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:56 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
san antonio , Texas
Thanks for the input. Pictures will be coming soon.
JudyBug
Old 10-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by judybug View Post
Have a 2000 F150 for towing. First tow was for 500 miles and quickly realized that the 25' Safari 2004 was a little heavy on the truck hitch. Have all the sway and heavy duty hitch things, but steering is questionable especially when semi-trucks pass us. Have ordered air shocks to be installed next week, but today saw an ad for Tuff Tow. Has anybody had any experience with Tuff Tow addition to the trailer? Here is the web-site I found TUFF TOW. Never heard of such a thing until today. Input appreciated.
JudyBug
With the properly setup WD hitch, you should be able to easily tow this trailer with good handling. There's something fishy about your WD setup. More details or some pictures are needed. It sounds like your front axle is too light and the steering becomes imprecise and vague.
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:42 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Make sure your ball hitch height is correct. For my 2009 27' FC it is 17 & 3/4". Your tongue weight on the hitch should be 10 to 15% of the trailer weight. Too low hitch height and your rear sags which makes steering control difficult.
Doug2009FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:29 PM   #11

Brainerd , Minnesota
Judybug,
I just ran across this thread today. I am the owner of Tuff Tow. My name is Al Schmidt. I understand your problems you are experiencing with the towing. This is the reason I bought the Tuff Tow company. We have the solution to your problem. Please feel free to call me at 218-454-8833 M-F 8-5. I pull my 32' 12000 lb trailer with my 1/2 ton gmc, with no weight distribution hitch and no anti sway bar. No need for them with the Tuff Tow unit. The Tuff Tow unit will dramatically improve the ride quality of your tow vehicle and greatly enhance your safety while pulling a trailer.

Al Schmidt
al74cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Midland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankO View Post
I have a 2006 chevy 1/2 ton in which I pull a 28 foot Excella wide body. I have not had an issue with this setup which is probably a 1000 lbs heavier than what you are pulling. It's all in the hitch set up, I have an equilizer with 1000 lb bars that I set up myself and thought I had it right, (wrong). Even though it trailed nicely there was something that just didn't feel right back there. Recently I had to get some work done at my local RV repair shop and they noticed the hitch was not canted properly and resolved the problem. I took a trip right after this modification and it towed a lot better. Have a qualified RV shop look at your setup and see if it is correct.

Hanko
Just for info, what engine & trans. do you have in your 2006? Any other modifications? I also have a 2006 1/2 ton Silverado, been using it only as a driver but have wondered about towingb with it in a pinch.
SStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:22 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1997 28' Excella
Eden , Utah
Ya, the 1/2 ton Chevy is a 5.2 litter with a 410 rear end and a Z71 package, GVWR is around 8200lbs. I just got back from a fishing trip into Idaho and she pulled the Excella around 65 to 70 mph and average about 13 miles per gallon.
HankO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:43 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by al74cuda View Post
Judybug,
I just ran across this thread today. I am the owner of Tuff Tow. My name is Al Schmidt. I understand your problems you are experiencing with the towing. This is the reason I bought the Tuff Tow company. We have the solution to your problem. Please feel free to call me at 218-454-8833 M-F 8-5. I pull my 32' 12000 lb trailer with my 1/2 ton gmc, with no weight distribution hitch and no anti sway bar. No need for them with the Tuff Tow unit. The Tuff Tow unit will dramatically improve the ride quality of your tow vehicle and greatly enhance your safety while pulling a trailer.

Al Schmidt
Hi, Tuff Tow seems like a great idea, but with some concerns. All ready mentioned is where do you put your propane tanks? Also on my trailer which is similar to the original poster's where do we move our batteries to? I personally don't like the idea of those tiny tires spinning so fast at freeway speeds.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:35 AM   #15
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
judybug,

As others have noted, getting your rig set-up correctly will resolve most, if not all of your concerns, IF the hitch has the proper weight ratings.

tuff-tow....updated, expensive, old technology.

air bags...do nothing to improve hitch performance.

Photo's??

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote