Old 10-04-2016, 06:53 AM   #1

Crystal , Minnesota
Truck recomendations

I do not yet own an airstream but it's in our future. I currently drive an 02 Tacoma that will need to be replaced soon. We'll probably get a used 20' rig. I 've been very happy with the Tacoma but worried that a newer Tacoma may not cut it for towing. A tundra has similar reliability but lousy gas milage and it's pretty big to navigate parking in Minneapolis. Is there a decent truck that has proper towing capacity for a 20' rig that is also reliable, gets decent milage and can navigate the inner city?

Old 10-04-2016, 07:06 AM   #2
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
A Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade/Expedition.

2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenH View Post
I do not yet own an airstream but it's in our future. I currently drive an 02 Tacoma that will need to be replaced soon. We'll probably get a used 20' rig. I 've been very happy with the Tacoma but worried that a newer Tacoma may not cut it for towing. A tundra has similar reliability but lousy gas milage and it's pretty big to navigate parking in Minneapolis. Is there a decent truck that has proper towing capacity for a 20' rig that is also reliable, gets decent milage and can navigate the inner city?
We live in New England, the capitol of small roads and I've become used to the size of my truck.
I'd personally look at truck turning diameter numbers as I believe it is less the size of the truck and more how small a diameter it can turn around in that impacts city driving.

Have fun shopping!
Bruce
Old 10-04-2016, 07:19 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
We towed our 19' Bambi with a Tacoma. No issues. Went across several Colo passes. Greatest thing about a Tacoma, when you get to a fun place, you have a fun truck that will go anywhere. 4 wheel drive trails around Moab, Pearl Pass in Colo..
No issues pulling with the V6. I had the double cab 4x4, so fairly long wheel base, and addl weight.. I was certainly not the fastest guy pulling up the passes, but, what, that is less than 1% of the trip, and it did fine coming down. (The important part, IMHO)

Edit, we did go to bigger trailer, and a Tundra later. I pull a double axle utility trailer at the farm with a tractor on board. It may have been a bit more than the Tacoma was comfortable with.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:21 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Saint CHarles , Missouri
If you like the size of the Tacoma, why not get another Tacoma. While the tongue weight is getting close to max, the towing is well within its capability. Reliability is another plus for the Tacoma. Personally, I'd probably opt for a Tundra. You've also got the GM twins (Canyon)if you are partial to GM.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:01 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We also wanted an inexpensive shorter wheelbase truck that could easily handle and tow our Airstream (25' now, had a 20', there is surprisingly little difference in towing either) so we bought a new 2012 Ram Express Reg Cab 120" wheelbase 5.7 Hemi 4x4. Factory brake controller, and 20" wheels helped with stability, we added a ProPride hitch to make it solid as a rock in all weather and traffic.

We negotiated to $24,000 price, drove and towed with it 50,000 miles. Never needed a single repair, inexpensive maintenance and surprisingly easy on fuel. Full coil spring suspension made it ride like a car, very smooth, comfortable, and quiet truck. I would recommend 3.92 axle ratio for towing.

On that experience, we traded for a new Ram truck (EcoDiesel, not available in 120" wheelbase), they gave us $20K trade-in plus over $10K discounts, incentives, and 0% interest rate. They priced our old truck at $24K and sold it in three days, it was in perfect condition (we took it South every winter).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream:Nebraska.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	499.6 KB
ID:	272852  

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 12:45 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' International
Orange County , California
I purchased a 19' Bambi 2 months ago. At the time I had a 10' Silverado with a tow capacity of 6100 lbs. My 19' Bambi is rated at 4500 lbs.

My 10' Silverado 1500 2WD did fine except when towing up the Cajon pass in 107 degree temperature on the way to Vegas. Temps got up there and I had to slow it down up the grade so I wouldn't end up like the 20+ cars I passed overheated on the side of the road. The 10' Silverado also averaged 9-10 MPG when towing and 13 MPG in city while not towing.

We also decided to upgrade our TV. I wanted the Colorado because they offer the new 4 cylinder turbo diesel in 4WD. It's extremely small for inner city driving, has tons of torque, I think it's rated to pull over 7,000 lbs (more than my 10' Silverado) and when not towing it will get over 30 MPG on the freeway.

I ended up with a 16' Silverado 1500 Z71 because the Colorado didn't offer leather seats/heated seats/heated steering wheel/cooled seats. The tow capacity on this 16' Silverado is over 9,000 lbs and the difference in towing is night and day. I just finished towing our 19' Bambi 3100 miles in the last 3 weeks and I forgot I was towing most of the time. I average over 20 MPG when unhooked and about 13 MPG while towing.

My recommendation is make sure you give yourself plenty of cushion in tow capacity. I ended up with a generator, 2 propane tanks & a propane bbq in the bed of my truck during the trip which are things to consider.

Good luck with your purchase!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0348.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	643.0 KB
ID:	272950