Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-22-2019, 08:01 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Idyllwild , California
Truck information -- what gives?

Hi,

Since we purchased our 30 Classic a year or so ago we’ve been using it for short trips, only loading it and our TV lightly. Now that retirement time has rolled around we are planning an 8+ week trip to Alaska next summer. For this trip we are planning to load both the TV and the TT more than we have before and would like to know payload, towing weights and limits etc. for the truck. So far this has been difficult information to obtain.

The owners manual for the TV (2010 2500 Ram diesel, long bed, crew cab 4X4 automatic) says to go to Dodge.com. The site says the information is not available. I emailed Dodge and have not heard back. I called Dodge today and found out nothing other than their technical department would be emailing us at some point. You would think I were asking for military secrets or something the way they act.

I found an aftermarket payload, towing information and weight chart on line but it asks what model transmission, axle ratio etc. that is coded in the VIN. I would prefer having factory information anyway.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, do you have any advice on how to find this information that it seems to me should be easy and important for a truck owner to know.

Thank you,
Chirs
2partners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:53 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Redmond , Washington
Is there no sticker in the driver side door that shows payload and gross weight capacity? That's usually where they are.
Alreddawg19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
There should be two load information placards on the driver's door jamb. One placard is tire and payload information. The other placard is GVWR and GCWR information.

Have you registered your vehicle at Mopar? The information might be available there. And, you will be able to communicate with the manufacturer about that specific vehicle.
https://www.mopar.com/en-us.html
Old 07-22-2019, 09:52 PM   #4
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
You need to visit the Ram site, not Dodge, to get the basic specs on your truck.

https://www.ramtrucks.com/en/towing_payload/2010/

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:17 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Idyllwild , California
Yes there is thank you, with some of the information. I was hoping to get more info on towing.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:22 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Idyllwild , California
A W Warn, thank you. I'll take a look at this.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:24 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Idyllwild , California
See More, I think this is what I'm looking for but there seems to be some kind of computer glitch in pulling up the page. The page flashes on the screen and then is gone. Maybe I should try a different browser. Thank you
Old 07-23-2019, 10:10 AM   #8
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Generic profile

The Mopar site does not have vehicle specific data (after entering VIN) before 2015.

Screen grab for 2010 2500 series from ramtrucks site:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-07-23 at 12.07.52 PM.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	347391  

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:45 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Does the truck have the door placards?
They should have all the information needed to calculate loading, without any other information other than actual weight at the scales.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:40 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Mockingbird Heights , California
The MOPAR/RAM website is absolutely worthless for finding out the payload on your vehicle... even if you input the VIN.

It listed my 2019 1500 Limited as 1840#, door sticker read 1320#.

As others have mentioned, read the door sticker.
Gondul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 05:16 PM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Unless you can find data specific to your vehicle ( = by VIN number), what you will find on the internet from any manufacturer on the internet is worthless. They simply don't put up enough fine grained data. One can wonder why, but they all do it that way.

The only answer is to go look at the sticker on your actual truck. What's there is a start. You then need to dig into what they do / don't include in the numbers. There is either fine print on the sticker and / or in the owners manual. Once you have that traced down you know what the numbers actually include. ( full gas tank ?? full set of passengers ?? passengers all weigh 110 pounds ??????? )

Next step is to run over to the local CAT scales and weigh your vehicle, vehicle plus trailer, and trailer alone. There is a lot of info on this in threads here. From these weights you can see if you are over weight *and* if hitch adjustments might help things.

After you have the numbers, the obvious question is - how close to the limit do you want to run? For some, the limit is "only a suggestion". For others anything much over 80% is not the best approach.

It's amazingly easy to overload a small trailer or an SUV. The 30' Classic is pretty robust. You *can* overload it, but it takes some effort. Depending on options, the 2500 also should be able to do its part. Again you *can* overload it if you try.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:23 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Check our hdrams.com for previous gen Ram info

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2partners View Post
Hi,

...For this trip we are planning to load both the TV and the TT more than we have before and would like to know payload, towing weights and limits etc. for the truck. So far this has been difficult information to obtain.

The owners manual for the TV (2010 2500 Ram diesel, long bed, crew cab 4X4 automatic) says to go to Dodge.com. The site says the information is not available. I emailed Dodge and have not heard back. I called Dodge today and found out nothing other than their technical department would be emailing us at some point. You would think I were asking for military secrets or something the way they act.
Hi Chris, the other posters explained about the payload sticker on the door which is a good start. You might also find another sticker that lists the GAWR or gross axle weight rating (front and rear). Those three numbers plus the axle ratio will help you figure out the truck’s towing capabilities.

I recommend you navigate over to HDRAMS.com. https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php

Besides having specs on the new gen Rams, they have a page with all previous Rams. I’m sure you’ll find someone over there with the information you’re looking for.

Good luck!
Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C361C52D-905D-45E4-B089-ECE0AEB2BE13.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	347423  
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 05:18 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
Knoxville , TN
Try this site. It has a pretty good break down of the RAM line capacity. http://www.rambodybuilder.com/2010/d...ammlup2500.pdf
The only thing you left out was the rear axle ratio in your truck description. Your truck payload capacity will be the same no matter which one you have at 9600 lbs. The tow capacity with the 3.42 axle is 9500 lbs. while the 3.73 and 4.10 allow 12,000 lbs. So worst case you are limited to 2200 lbs. in the truck and 2000 lbs. in the camper. So I would say yes your wife can take that extra pair of shoes.

Have fun in Alaska.
Eric 26 Argo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:00 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Sometimes if you get a build sheet run, the info on it helps. Get it from service or parts at the dealer.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 05:37 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Lake Worth Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrvr View Post
Sometimes if you get a build sheet run, the info on it helps. Get it from service or parts at the dealer.
Build sheets for all FCA vehicles built after 1998 are available online, at https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing. Enter your VIN at that page and you’ll get your build sheet.

Payload data is not included on FCA build sheets.

As mentioned by others, the only place where you’ll get payload data specific to any one vehicle is on the driver’s door jamb sticker of that vehicle. Looking anywhere else is a waste of your time. Payload is specific to each vehicle and depends on the optional equipment the vehicle has installed, so manufacturers can’t put your specific vehicle’s payload information in an owner’s manual or on a general web site, although FCA technically could put it on the online build sheet page referenced above. Not sure why they don’t.

Jim
2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, Cummins TurboDiesel
AirstreamJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:43 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Bullard,Lake Palestine , Texas
Owners manual

should have vehicle specific info
Old 07-24-2019, 07:48 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Lake Worth Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafitte View Post
[Owner’s manual ]should have vehicle specific info
...but doesn’t. Check yours...you won’t find your specific truck’s payload capacity in it.

How can the owner’s manual have vehicle specific information if one book is given to all owners? There’s no way to include every possible combination of options, most of which affect the vehicle weight, and therefore its payload capacity.

The only way to make that work is to print a unique book for each vehicle sold, and that’s never going to happen, since the information is on the door jamb sticker already.

Jim
2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, Cummins TurboDiesel
AirstreamJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:57 AM   #18
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The problem is that if you have a list of 20 options on a truck, you have slightly over a million different "payload" numbers to put in a list. Modern trucks have a *lot* of options ...

I suspect that there is also a recognition somewhere in the marketing group that if they let you know there is a downside to this or that option ( = it's heavy ) they will sell less of them. That very much is *not* what they want to do

Bob
Old 07-25-2019, 08:06 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Bullard,Lake Palestine , Texas
[...but doesn’t. Check yours...you won’t find your specific truck’s payload capacity in it.

How can the owner’s manual have vehicle specific information if one book is given to all owners? There’s no way to include every possible combination of options, most of which affect the vehicle weight, and therefore its payload capacity.

The only way to make that work is to print a unique book for each vehicle sold, and that’s never going to happen, since the information is on the door jamb sticker already.

Jim[/QUOTE]
Not true. My 2012 Ram 2500 had towing capacity and other data LISTED THERE AND NOWHERE ELSE. Yes it was vehicle specific. Will copy page for you if needed
2019-07-25-0001.pdf
Old 07-25-2019, 08:36 AM   #20
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Towing capacity is *not* what we are talking about here. Payload is what you can only get off of the door sticker.

Bob