Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2006, 07:50 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Yukon , Oklahoma
Traveling with Motorcycle

We are getting ready to purchase a Suzuki C50T (805cc Cruiser - 574 lbs.). Looking for a solution to bring it with us when we are towing our 2003 25' Safari. (Currently towing with a F-150 SuperCrew)

I am considering an appropriately equipped cargo van. Is there anyone out there currently travelling with both their Airstream and a good sized cruising motorcycle? Your two cents will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
ScottMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 08:07 PM   #2
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Can you mount a front hitch? There are carriers that will fit into a 2 inch hitch.
I was goign to purchase a motorcycle next spring until my little accident with the truck and trailer.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 08:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
The stock Airstream frame won't take 600lbs hanging off the back bumper. Your best bet would be to haul the bike in the bed of your truck.

Second option (and the one I'm doing) is build a heavier frame for the AS. But if your trailer is in good shape, I wouldn't worry with it. Just haul the bike in the bed of your truck.

I'm planning on making a much heavier than OEM frame for my Airstream and hanging my KLR650 on the back bumper. The genset on the elongated tongue will balance it all out.

But, the bottom line is you cannot hang a motorcycle off the back bumper of a stock Airstream. If you do, you'll break it.

Cheers,
Old 10-26-2006, 11:16 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
off the cuff.. would an extended bed F250 allow you to keep the tailgate up? There are some pretty nice light weight but yet very sturdy ramps available on the market for proper loading of the cycle.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 05:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMac
We are getting ready to purchase a Suzuki C50T (805cc Cruiser - 574 lbs.). Looking for a solution to bring it with us when we are towing our 2003 25' Safari. (Currently towing with a F-150 SuperCrew)

I am considering an appropriately equipped cargo van. Is there anyone out there currently travelling with both their Airstream and a good sized cruising motorcycle? Your two cents will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
We travel quite a bit with our Airstream and our Suzuki 800cc Volusia cruiser motorcycle. We put the motorcycle in the bed of our truck. Depending on the size of your bike, you would be better off with an 8' bed in your truck so you can close the tailgate.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 07:06 AM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Send JohnHD a PM. He brings his vintage Harley to as many places as he can when bringing his Airstream.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 07:35 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
Look at this

http://www.airforums.com/photo...&searchid=3289

If you will send an email address to: wingsofgold1@cs.com I will send you some pics of my setup. I would post them here, HOWEVER, the pics were taken at too great a resolution.
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 09:48 AM   #8
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
scottmac

i haul my 1955 harley fl pretty much everywhere when i take the airstream. it rides in the back of my pickup, a '00 2500 silverado with an 8 foot box.

here are a couple of tips:

buy a quality ramp, mine is aluminum and folds in half.
get good tiedowns (4), ratchet type are the best. tie the bike off 4 ways!
get "soft ties" they are nylon loops that you can put on your handlebars etc to prevent scratches. they also go around irregular shaped parts.
if your truck does not have sturdy rings install some.
if you use a front wheel chock (i don't) pad the front tire to prevent damage.
haul your bike in neutral, this prevents tranny damage and belt/chain/ sprocket damage.
do NOT let the bike ride on the side stand, haul it perfectly upright secured 4 ways.
when you arrive or depart, look for natural advantages to assist in loading/unloading. backing your truck into even a small depression will aid greatly in the angle of the ramp.
ask for help loading/unloading if possible, i have never run across a situation where a fellow able bodied camper would not lend a hand! (a couple of cold beers don't hurt either!)

and finally, be aware of your new surroundings! for me, after i get somewhere the switch from silverado to vintage harley takes a little adjustment... traffic is different than home, wildlife, road conditions etc.

john

ps, this is my setup
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	on the way to davenport.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	27539  
Old 10-27-2006, 10:40 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
don't compress the forks for long

I haul my ~800# Harley ElectraGlide in the back of my pu with an 8' bed. Like John_HD says, I tie it off in 4 places but also add a padded block of wood under the engine/frame. The key is to make the block, which is also carpet covered, just slightly shy of the clearance between bike and bed so that I can kick it into position below me when I ride the bike up. I use an old airplane tire in front of the m/c tire against the front of the bed. Then hook the handlebars up with ratchet tie down and soft straps...just taking the slack up. Next is cinching the rear down with same ratchet tie down and soft straps, but now you're snugging the frame down to the bed as opposed to cranking endlessly against the air suspension (at least on mine) and potentially causing damage (i've been told) by sustained compression on both front and rear air shocks. The bike rides rock steady and doesn't have a tendancy to move around as before I used the block.

Marc
B25guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 10:51 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
What about 6.5' box HD (for Harley Davidson AND Heavy Duty PU)

Hey Guys...could you haul a full sized Harley E-Glide in a 6.5' pick-up box?

I want to get a Crew Cab...but prefer the shorter box???? I assume it would be a 2500 or maybe a 3500 SW.

Thanks...Tom R in Two harbors, MN
TomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 11:28 AM   #11
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Hey Guys...could you haul a full sized Harley E-Glide in a 6.5' pick-up box?
not with the tailgate up.

john
Old 10-27-2006, 11:39 AM   #12
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Second that

I have 6.5 bed and the Roadking fits all the way on the bed(past tailgate) but I cannot close tailgate. Obviously not working for towing AS trailer but I have 36' AS Motorhome and I trailer the bike when traveling with MH.

Looks good too..........
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 11:40 AM   #13
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Daytona Biketoberfest

Did you make it south last week John?

We did and Myrtle beach a couple of weeks before.

A blast and boy was it HOT!

91 degrees too

Ken
Old 10-27-2006, 11:46 AM   #14
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Flip the coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMac
We are getting ready to purchase a Suzuki C50T (805cc Cruiser - 574 lbs.). Your two cents will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I bought a new 2005 C90T for 11K and a year later, I gave it away for 8500 (barely, it took forever)

Take it from me, buy the Harley and be glad you didnt save the cost up front.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:47 AM   #15
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
nope ken, haven't been south since feburary.

john
Old 10-27-2006, 11:55 AM   #16
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
just realised i hadn't uploaded any recent shots of the old pig in a while...

here it is at davenport iowa this year. picked up some more goodies at the swapmeet.

john
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pan in davenport.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	27541  
Old 10-27-2006, 11:58 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
Taking mine with me

Well Guys, here is what I use to haul mine.Look here: http://jhodge7.photosite.com/Album1/

I have a bad back, so I don't need to be lifting ramps around. Back when I did just that, I got tired of unhooking and then hunting an acceptable place to try to unload.
Then, when I was at a all Harley Drags in Bithlo, Fl, this fellow came in with something that peaked my interest. It took me several years, but I finally got him to build me one. He now has the patent for it. It works super, if not better than that! That is an 1800 Goldwing sitting on it. Him, being a diehard Harley guy found that hard to accept. I absolutely love it. A pic with the Airstream hooked up is on page 2.
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
Old 10-27-2006, 12:05 PM   #18
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
steel bird

that is a first class set up! i saw a similar device for sale at davenport that essentially lowered the entire bike to the ground via a sliding bed device.

yours looks much lighter and simpler.

john
Old 10-27-2006, 12:13 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
John, I was absolutely thrilled to get it. The gentleman was indeed a very good engineer. The ramp is solid aluminum except for the stand that makes it into a workbench. The entire carrier comes apart to remove it. He even put wheels on the ramp to make it move on the ground easily while the weight of the bike moves around. The entire unit moves back and forth in the bed to prevent the need of removing the tailgate. The goldwing is slightly long for the Wing, so I have to hold it in an 'almost closed' position with a tailgate retainer. My Harleys allowed the tailgate to close completely.
2013 31" Classic limited
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
Old 10-28-2006, 09:12 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Yukon , Oklahoma
Thanks folks! Excellent information. You have given me several directions to go with this one. I appreciate your input.

We have not ridden for over twenty years and thought a bike would be a great way to explore once we set up somewhere. I am a few months away from retiring (at a relatively young 47 yoa), the kiddo is off to college and we will soon have the time to take some extended road trips (planning for 5-6 weeks at a time) and start racking up the mileage on the Safari. It looks so lonely just sitting there idle most of the year. Thanks again.
ScottMac is offline   Reply With Quote