Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2006, 09:28 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
tie the bike off 4 ways!
Why do you need to tie off the bike 4 ways? My thought was if you ratchet down the front, it compresses the front struts enough to hold the bike in place. Just trying to understand the mechanics behind this.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 09:48 AM   #22
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
Why do you need to tie off the bike 4 ways? My thought was if you ratchet down the front, it compresses the front struts enough to hold the bike in place. Just trying to understand the mechanics behind this.

I'm pretty bad at math, but I would think it would have to do with geometry or physics. By doing a 4 way tie down, you get a solid hold that prevents movements from nearly any direction. Of course, as I said, math was never one of my strong points, but I saw John's setup first hand and that bike was not going anywhere, unless he wanted it out of the pickup bed or, he kept the shiny side down.

I have bicycle racks for the top of the Burb and though they are secure, they do flex a bit, but not John's setup....like a rock.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 10:05 AM   #23
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
the idea is to keep it in the bed no matter what. imagine going over a large bump or a trip through the ditch with the rear unsecured.

if the rear can jump around you also run the risk of it getting out of line enough to allow the front forks to turn sideways. your front ties at that point are useless.

way back when i used to road race i remember a couple of guys showing up at the track with an empty trailer and two tiedowns dragging. needless to say they immediately turned around to retrace their route.

4 sturdy tie downs is best, trust me on this one.

john
Old 10-28-2006, 10:22 AM   #24
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
I haul my Harley Heritage softail in the bed of my F150 ext. cab but with the fishtail exhausts, I can't shut the tailgate completly but there no problem with the Airstream. No electric winch , all is made with HD engine and strong ramps !

bruno.
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 01:32 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1978 27' Argosy 27
west monroe , Louisiana
water buffalo

i have a motorcycle salvage an go to swap meets an rallys all over ar la miss i haul my water buffalo show bike in the bed of my truck to some shows load my gold wing in the truck with ease
oldwingrider is offline   Reply With Quote