Old 10-27-2006, 12:47 PM   #15
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
nope ken, haven't been south since feburary.

john

Old 10-27-2006, 12:55 PM   #16
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
just realised i hadn't uploaded any recent shots of the old pig in a while...

here it is at davenport iowa this year. picked up some more goodies at the swapmeet.

john
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pan in davenport.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	27541  

Old 10-27-2006, 12:58 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
2000 39' Land Yacht XL Diesel w/slide
Crossville , Tennessee
Taking mine with me

Well Guys, here is what I use to haul mine.Look here: http://jhodge7.photosite.com/Album1/

I have a bad back, so I don't need to be lifting ramps around. Back when I did just that, I got tired of unhooking and then hunting an acceptable place to try to unload.
Then, when I was at a all Harley Drags in Bithlo, Fl, this fellow came in with something that peaked my interest. It took me several years, but I finally got him to build me one. He now has the patent for it. It works super, if not better than that! That is an 1800 Goldwing sitting on it. Him, being a diehard Harley guy found that hard to accept. I absolutely love it. A pic with the Airstream hooked up is on page 2.
WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand,throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 01:05 PM   #18
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
steel bird

that is a first class set up! i saw a similar device for sale at davenport that essentially lowered the entire bike to the ground via a sliding bed device.

yours looks much lighter and simpler.

john
Old 10-27-2006, 01:13 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
2000 39' Land Yacht XL Diesel w/slide
Crossville , Tennessee
John, I was absolutely thrilled to get it. The gentleman was indeed a very good engineer. The ramp is solid aluminum except for the stand that makes it into a workbench. The entire carrier comes apart to remove it. He even put wheels on the ramp to make it move on the ground easily while the weight of the bike moves around. The entire unit moves back and forth in the bed to prevent the need of removing the tailgate. The goldwing is slightly long for the Wing, so I have to hold it in an 'almost closed' position with a tailgate retainer. My Harleys allowed the tailgate to close completely.
WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand,throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 10:12 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Yukon , Oklahoma
Thanks folks! Excellent information. You have given me several directions to go with this one. I appreciate your input.

We have not ridden for over twenty years and thought a bike would be a great way to explore once we set up somewhere. I am a few months away from retiring (at a relatively young 47 yoa), the kiddo is off to college and we will soon have the time to take some extended road trips (planning for 5-6 weeks at a time) and start racking up the mileage on the Safari. It looks so lonely just sitting there idle most of the year. Thanks again.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:28 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
tie the bike off 4 ways!
Why do you need to tie off the bike 4 ways? My thought was if you ratchet down the front, it compresses the front struts enough to hold the bike in place. Just trying to understand the mechanics behind this.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 10:48 AM   #22
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
Why do you need to tie off the bike 4 ways? My thought was if you ratchet down the front, it compresses the front struts enough to hold the bike in place. Just trying to understand the mechanics behind this.

I'm pretty bad at math, but I would think it would have to do with geometry or physics. By doing a 4 way tie down, you get a solid hold that prevents movements from nearly any direction. Of course, as I said, math was never one of my strong points, but I saw John's setup first hand and that bike was not going anywhere, unless he wanted it out of the pickup bed or, he kept the shiny side down.

I have bicycle racks for the top of the Burb and though they are secure, they do flex a bit, but not John's setup....like a rock.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 11:05 AM   #23
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
the idea is to keep it in the bed no matter what. imagine going over a large bump or a trip through the ditch with the rear unsecured.

if the rear can jump around you also run the risk of it getting out of line enough to allow the front forks to turn sideways. your front ties at that point are useless.

way back when i used to road race i remember a couple of guys showing up at the track with an empty trailer and two tiedowns dragging. needless to say they immediately turned around to retrace their route.

4 sturdy tie downs is best, trust me on this one.

john
Old 10-28-2006, 11:22 AM   #24
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
I haul my Harley Heritage softail in the bed of my F150 ext. cab but with the fishtail exhausts, I can't shut the tailgate completly but there no problem with the Airstream. No electric winch , all is made with HD engine and strong ramps !

bruno.
My AIRSTREAMLIFE ning
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 02:32 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1978 27' Argosy 27
west monroe , Louisiana
water buffalo

i have a motorcycle salvage an go to swap meets an rallys all over ar la miss i haul my water buffalo show bike in the bed of my truck to some shows load my gold wing in the truck with ease