Old 07-23-2006, 09:25 AM   #1
Me loves da little twinky

1971 18' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
1966 26' Overlander
Portlandish , State of Flux
Send a message via AIM to Rivka
Transport needed for Caravel from FL to OR or WA

I have a Airstream ('71 Caravel) located in Tampa Florida that needs to get to the great NW. Preferable Eugene, OR but will be flexible and come and meet you if your route is taking you anywhere between there and Seattle. Total length is 18-19 ft and weight is 3300 lbs. Recent new axles and tires puts her in all working order. She is ready to move by Monday July 31st and I would like her moved really soon, there is some flexibility on these dates is needed. Flatbed is my preference, willing to consider flat tow. I will most likely be able to meet you on both ends, depending on dates. Hopefully you can help me or please point me towards someone who can.
Looking for reliable hauling provider with references

please help me get my baby home!
Rivka

Old 07-24-2006, 06:02 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Rivka, have you found someone to ship your little "twinkette" west for you?

Old 07-24-2006, 07:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Dallas to Calif.

I have to return my brothers Dodge pick up to Monterey, Calif. sometime within the next few weeks. If you get the Caravelle to Dallas (area) I can help. Anyone else for that matter. I stay in motels, am insured, reliable, safe, experienced and can cover my own return.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:37 PM   #4

1971 18' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
1966 26' Overlander
I have a few good leads, nothing signed yet. I did get the little girl new shoes today. (of the rubber type) so she is one big step closer to the road.

thanks again for all the help, your a life saver
Old 07-24-2006, 11:40 PM   #5
Creampuff

1957 22' Flying Cloud
1971 31' Sovereign
1976 29' Ambassador
Malibu , California
There is a website called UShip.com where you can post your request and have drivers bid your needs. I pit up a request recently and got quite a few bids- and unlike Ebay- they keep going down!
You might use it to get it to Dallas.
BTW- how can I determine the sex of my trailer??
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 12:02 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Uship

Uship is a serious business. Acceptance of a bid charges a % of the agreed upon fee to fellow who agrees to move your lady. Once accepted the mutual # are passed on to one another in order to contact.
Fabian
Old 07-30-2006, 12:33 PM   #7

1971 18' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
1966 26' Overlander
I found a haul for my darling, now looking at getting him a job on the return trip,

see details http://www.airforums.com/forum...sts-24844.html

thanks everyone!
Old 08-23-2006, 07:31 AM   #8
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
So, did your Caravele make it to its new home in one piece?
Old 08-23-2006, 11:38 PM   #9

1971 18' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
1966 26' Overlander
yes, thanks for asking

just got to the desert today with her, she is towing like a champ behind my Jeep, i big relief (though going up big hills is a slow go)

on line and working in the dust,
Rivka
Old 08-24-2006, 12:18 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
You're towing it with your TJ?

I thought about hooking my TJ up to the Overlander and posting pictures as a joke, but I wouldn't seriously consider towing with it now. Of course we're talking about a difference of 8' between my overlander and your caravel I did tow a 17' SOB in my pre-airstream days with my TJ and it did ok. Anything longer and I would be afraid of the tail wagging the dog. As a Jeep owner and and Airstream owner, I've got to say that combo is cool . Let's see some pics.
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 12:48 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
Creampuff - IT'S A GIRL ! !

Murry,

Determining gender of Airstreams is done in the usual way. BTY - most all of them found to be of the female persuasion!

suz
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 01:49 AM   #12

1971 18' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
1966 26' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatPumpkin
You're towing it with your TJ?

I thought about hooking my TJ up to the Overlander and posting pictures as a joke, but I wouldn't seriously consider towing with it now. Of course we're talking about a difference of 8' between my overlander and your caravel I did tow a 17' SOB in my pre-airstream days with my TJ and it did ok. Anything longer and I would be afraid of the tail wagging the dog. As a Jeep owner and and Airstream owner, I've got to say that combo is cool . Let's see some pics.

i have a Rubi Unlimited so a longer wheel base and a generally heavier Jeep, consequently the tow rating is 3500 rather than a TJ's 2000

this smaller trailer was picked out as a sizing down from my 74 Ambassador just so i could tow it.

it did really good, i had a lot of weight packed in the jeep and the trailer just carries the lightweight stuff and no water. it was a 400 mile trip over 3 good size passes, the only one i really noticed was the harshest one, Cedar Pass, a vertical 2000-ft rise and fall in less than 20 road miles! and i had just went and did my finally food/beer/water shopping, lets just say it went slow. All in all it felt safe and sound, I have lots of years towing and a good hitch and brake controller.

i will say though that it was really strange towing a single axle airstream for the first time! specially when it came to backing it into a tight little spot at my camp, seems strange but my double axle 28 ft was easier to back up, just needed a bit more elbow room, this little girl just squiggles a lot in reverse, just love her anyway!!!!
Old 08-24-2006, 08:53 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2002 16' Bambi
mountain view , California
Hi,
Regarding Uship. ;-)

I see that person who needed transport has already made arrangements, but for anyone else who needs the info..... I recently used Uship.com to find a hauler to bring our 2002 Bambi from Delaware to the S. F. Bay area.

I was impressed with the number and type of bids that I received. All but one were to pull the trailer, and this included the shipper who "pulls" for the Airstream company (but they were the most expensive. $4500.)

We took the bid that involved use of a flatbed, (@ $2400 for 3300 miles) but I need to warn everybody that it's necessary to really explore this option before taking it. Most importantly, ask the width between the fenders of the trailer bed the Airstream is to ride upon. The width of our Bambi's tires was too wide and the trailer barely fit on! ... and had to ride at the very back of the flatbed behind the fenders. It made it difficult to both load and unload.

Somehow it became OUR problem upon delivery as the driver wasn't confident about unloading it. And we are so new at this! Yikes! We enlisted the help of a wonderful "gearhead" neighbor though, and with 5 people in all, managed to use "come alongs" to slowly ease her 'backwards" off of the bed.

I don't mean to slight the shipper however, he was a likeable, v. hard-working young guy who was in just a little over his head. (We gave him a $200 tip.) We'd use him again, just not for an Airstream!

Also, look to see if the shipper who bids has a DOT- Department of Transportation number. Then you can learn a little more about that business by viewing this site: http://safer.fmcsa.dot.gov/FAQ.aspx

Please contact me if you need any further advice about uship as it was a steep learning curve.....

I may start a thread if there is one not already about escrow.com -- which was also helpful.

Tags
caravel