Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2012, 03:34 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
1978 31' Sovereign
Glenburnie , Ontario
Trains?

Hi I'm new to the whole forum thing, was wondering if anyone has every put a hitch on the back of one airstream to tow another?
Bigjohn59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I remember reading here about someone who towed a boat behind their Airstream. They wrecked the truck, the AS and the boat. Seems like a really bad idea to me.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:30 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

Very few States allow Three-somes. Plus your rear end would need major up-grades.

Bob
Old 03-09-2012, 06:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Don't know the stats but in some states tandem trailers are allowed. The regs as to brakes, lengths, trailer types, etc vary. I used to pull a small boat before I knew better. No damage done, lucky. The monocoque construction of an Airstream is not designed for towing. I guess it would be possible with appropriate frame modifications. Now I put my boat on top of my truck and my bikes inside.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:25 AM   #5
x

XXXX , XXXX
Hi Big John welcome to the forums from a fellow Ontarian. As others have said A/S are noy built to do such a thing. Additionally Ontario law does allowing training provided that the first trailer is not a ball hitch trailer. So we can tow a fifth wheel or goose neck trailer and then a ball hitch trailer.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
A couple of months ago while driving my new to me Bambi II home from Florida I saw a commercial Airstream rig. TV was a Ford HD duelly. Looked to be about a 30 footer towing a 16 footer.They were all painted to look like custom NASCAR BBG grills. The smaller Airstream appeared to be an actual grill/smoker kitchen conversion. Very professional looking set up. Full body graphics on all three.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:40 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
1978 31' Sovereign
Glenburnie , Ontario
Thanks for the input everyone, the frame strength was my biggest concern, it would look epic though Rollin in with two
Old 03-10-2012, 01:42 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
1978 31' Sovereign
Glenburnie , Ontario
And I read something in the highway traffic act that talked about length, weight and keeping it under control, didn't see anything about hitch type, where was that?
Old 03-10-2012, 01:55 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
1978 31' Sovereign
Glenburnie , Ontario
One more thought, if I had the rear of my belly pan off and was replacing the rear bedroom floor would I be able to maybe graft two heavier rails into the frame for a hitch, suitable for towing maybe a small open trailer?
Old 03-10-2012, 05:10 AM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjohn59 View Post
One more thought, if I had the rear of my belly pan off and was replacing the rear bedroom floor would I be able to maybe graft two heavier rails into the frame for a hitch, suitable for towing maybe a small open trailer?
The frame supports the floor and is a place to mount the axles. In order to modify the frame sufficiently to pull a trailer, you will have to remove the frame completely and build a new one.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:24 AM   #11
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
And I read something in the highway traffic act that talked about length, weight and keeping it under control, didn't see anything about hitch type, where was that?
I read this the other day in a link provided here on the forums. The link was to a trailering website that listed the regs for each province.
I found this link and at the bottom of the paragraph is states that you must be a commercial vehicle in order to legally tow more than one trailer in Ontario.
Pulling a Trailer Safely
Old 03-14-2012, 12:06 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
1978 31' Sovereign
Glenburnie , Ontario
Hmm, good find, may have to look into becoming a commercial vehicle then lol
Old 03-14-2012, 06:55 AM   #13
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
John It requires a commercial (yellow) sticker on the windshield. An annual safety inspection is required and a hefty $160 fee to the Ontario government.
You then are required to stop at all weigh scales, carry a log book and of course fill it out and you are subject to all the same rules for all commercial vehicles. The biggest limitation to it is the fact that you can only be "on duty" for thirteen hours of any 24 hr period. On duty includes any meal breaks and stops for fuel etc.When you go off duty it must be for a minimum 8 hr period.
You are also subject to the much heavier fines for safety and all other violations levied against commercial vehicles. The green and white MTO trucks and cars can pull you over anytime for spot inspections and log book checks.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:01 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Tell you what: When we get double-towers in the park, it's a real devil to get them backed into a site.

Lynn
Old 03-14-2012, 07:06 AM   #15
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
John I haven't found the link yet to the regs on the type of trailers you can train with but even a commecial designation won't help you tow another ball type hitch behind your Airstream. The first trailer must be a fifth or gooseneck hitch type trailer and the second can be a ball type.