Old 01-24-2010, 11:03 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
N/A , Michigan/Florida
Trailer Towing School

Is there such a thing as a travel trailer towing school? AS sponsored? AAA sponsored?

We'll be getting ourselves into some busy towing of our AS for the next few years and could use some education. My wife would rather learn from a stranger than from me (any surprise?) and I could use some "expert" training. Any formal education would be a good thing.

Thank you for your input.

2010 4x4 Ford EB Expedition
greatlakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
That's a very good question and I am 100% with your wife, no offense intended. LOL! You can learn alot by reading on the forum. The best advice after choosing the right tow vehicle is to go SLOW!

Old 01-24-2010, 11:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Yes there is such a thing. I remember one advertised at the last LA RV show we attended in Pomona. Try your local RV show or maybe a RV dealer or Good Sam or RVIA.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:27 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatlakes View Post
Is there such a thing as a travel trailer towing school? AS sponsored? AAA sponsored?

We'll be getting ourselves into some busy towing of our AS for the next few years and could use some education. My wife would rather learn from a stranger than from me (any surprise?) and I could use some "expert" training. Any formal education would be a good thing.

Thank you for your input.
Frank.

There are 2 basic things that a person must learn, so that they can tow a trailer, "safely".

The first is proper trailer to tow vehicle rigging. When done correctly, towing is a dream.

When done incorrectly, towing can be a "nightmare" for most anyone that that has nerves something less than steel.

The second then becomes much easier, to deal with. Towing a trailer basically requires far more attention to what's going on when on the road.

Rapid and quick manuvers, should be avoided. Keeping a safe distance from whatever may be in front of you is always a good safe thing to practice. Typically, a trailer being towed will require a greater stopping distance. When passing others, it will take much more time and distance to complete the pass, safely.

Make wider turns, have good towing mirrors, and practice at a large shopping center, so that you can get the feel of things.

Towing schools? None that I know of.

But, self teaching is not that difficult, but the driver must be wise and alert, at all times.

Andy
Old 01-24-2010, 11:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Also remember that your axles are a pivot point. The longer the trailer, the more that hangs out on a tight turn. Remember this especially when backing. Even pros feel more comfortable with a extra set of eyes when backing.

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:16 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1971 18' Caravel
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
The short answer to your question is "yes".

They are held throughout the year around the nation by the RV Safety and Education Foundation.
My sister in law attended a session in Arizona several years ago after she bought her 5th wheel rig.
She has her safety procedures down to a science and her self assurance in towing is her greatest asset on the road.

RV Safety, Merritt Island, Florida
Old 01-24-2010, 12:25 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
It would be great if there was for those who think they need the personalized instruction. My first experience towing was a utility trailer behind an old mail truck. My dad gave me a few pointers and I practiced driving around the yard (5 acres) and backing in the driveway. Find a large empty parking lot and let her drive it without you. Chuches and schools are a good place to practice, they are usually vacant for part of the week.

Carol
Old 10-14-2010, 04:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Proper hitching, especially tow vehicle weight ratings, is key.
Once you got that- there ain't nothin' to it but to do it!
Old 10-14-2010, 04:48 PM   #9

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Back in 1982 when I bought my first travel trailer, I'd go down to a big parking lot of a store that was closed on Sunday. I brought multiple tall plastic trash cans with brooms inside. I'd practice backing, turning, and manuevering. Glad those cans were plastic, especially on attempting back in's. Especially also when I attempted a blind back in. You try to avoid those but sometimes you don't have much option.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:28 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
While we're on the subject... the concept of "driving school" leads me to think that it’s only a matter of time, before big-gubmint realizes there’s a whole bunch of revenue to be tapped in the RV market, through regulation.

Not that they don’t, already… but there’s a whole aspect of RV’ing that is still pretty much a free-for-all. For better, or for worse…. I won’t turn this into a thread on political ideology… I know how sensitive our moderators are on that

But there's all sorts of certifications, and endorsements that could be required. Think of all the personnel needed to expand the (already streamlined and efficient) DMV operations to include:
Driving school/testing for “travel trailer”, “fifth wheel”, “motorhome” endorsement. Regulation of hitch equipment based on weight ratings. Regulation of tow vehicles based on weight ratings. Proper weight distribution…. You get the picture

… of course, when that happens, it will be cheaper to charter a private jet for my family and I to see the Great U-S-of-A…
Old 10-15-2010, 09:37 AM   #11

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
@finalcutjoe: More effective and with a bigger pool of drivers to pick on, the DMV types could just require actual training and testing for ALL drivers before dispensing licenses like a vending machine. I've said for years that it's too easy to get a driver's license in the US, and one sees the results of that on the highways every day.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:59 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Oxford , Michigan
I saw a trailer towing school at the Pamona, CA show. Can't remember the name of it, though. I agree with these guys, though. Get in and practice. A few orange cones and a big parking lot--you'll be a pro in no time.

Hensley Ron is offline   Reply With Quote