Old 09-15-2014, 05:45 PM   #29
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
We did some testing last week at the race track. We did not have the Tucson unit on an Airstream instead we had it on a 34' box trailer with slides that was top heavy and inherently much less stable than an Airstream.

We did a sudden lane change, a 50' opening between two 12' wide lanes and a 100' slalom. We were towing with a Mercedes GL with tighter and stickier tires than stock. We ran wires from the right and left brakes to two lights on the dash so we could see if the system was actuating while driving.

Interesting in the slalom the lights never actuated. The Mercedes stability control system slowed it down before the trailer could be really pushed hard. In the lane change one light would come briefly.

I then took it out onto the track and did some much more sudden and violent maneuvers where I would turn the wheel aggressively one way and then wip it back almost instantly. Then the lights came on and you could feel the system pulling the big trailer back into line. I ran it hard enough that the wheels came off the ground and the tires on the trailer smoked from the brake actuation. The trailer was over far enough that some of my staff standing 300' to the right could seen the entire roof of the trailer. Even at that extreme the unit just straightened it out. I was quite impressed with it.

On an Airstream it is likely like your car's air bags, you hope you will never need them but it you do you are going to be very happy they are there. Even with a hitch like a Hensley should something unpredictable happen like a broken part etc. it could still save the day.

Personally I think the RVIA should mandate them to be installed on all trailers just like the car companies put Air Bags, antilock brakes and ESC on all cars today. At the time of production they really would not add a great deal of cost.

We have about 60 hours of video to edit through once we have I will put it on our website.

I hope this helps.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:04 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Wow, thanks for the report. Sounds pretty impressive. Can't wait to see the video.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:05 AM   #31

1989 29' Excella
Burton , Texas
Not clear to me what was being tested and the subject of the "mandate to be installed" statement. Sounds like well done testing, but of what? Many thanks.

Regards, Union Hill
Old 09-16-2014, 09:49 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Hill View Post
Not clear to me what was being tested and the subject of the "mandate to be installed" statement. Sounds like well done testing, but of what? Many thanks.
Did you read the entire thread (or at least the first post of it)? There are several links to videos and websites about the module.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:24 AM   #33
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Looks like only a couple of websites are selling the Tuson. If I were going to buy this, I'd prefer to go to a dealer with techs who can install it. I'm not mucking about with my brakes.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:33 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvery Moon View Post
Looks like only a couple of websites are selling the Tuson. If I were going to buy this, I'd prefer to go to a dealer with techs who can install it. I'm not mucking about with my brakes.
Yeah, for me it's not so much cutting and rerouting the brake wires that would give me pause, but the fact that I'd probably have to drop the belly pan to access the wires and all. In my mind that turns it from a quick-and-easy job to something a lot more involved. Dropping the pan just isn't something I've done yet, so it probably sounds more scary than it really is to do.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:11 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
Personally I think the RVIA should mandate them to be installed on all trailers just like the car companies put Air Bags, antilock brakes and ESC on all cars today. At the time of production they really would not add a great deal of cost.
Andy, I greatly admire the work that you and your company does. Your company is a asset to all of us. Having towed all manner of trailers with all manner of vehicles in my life, I believe that you have kept open exciting aspects and towing options for many RV'ers. Your work on tow vehicle upgrades give many the chance to hit the road in an Airstream rig, towing we what we really want, or can afford, to tow with.

The costs of hitting the road are increasing year after year rapidly. Too much of it due to regulators, lawyers and litigators. Each cost, each rating, may seem small, but they all add up.

New technology sometimes needs a boost to "cross the chasm" especially if it is limited to aftermarket - but please reconsider your opinion that this technology be mandated by RIVA or anyone else. Let's do what we can to keep the entry costs to RV'ing low before we price and regulate beyond what the market will bear.
Raleigh, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:11 PM   #36
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
I hear what you are saying as I am no fan of all the senseless regulation we all live with these days. In this case I think the long term cost would be relatively neutral as every time someone rolls a trailer it eventually raises our insurance rates.

The problem is the people that really need it are the ones that won't buy it as an option. The cost of installing at the factory is a about 1/4 the cost of doing it aftermarket.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:33 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Tuson made the DirecLink NE brake controller we put into the truck cab to operate our disc brake conversion. They also make a hydraulic brake controller that can also have an ABS module as well. Then the drum brakes would be changed out to disc brakes assemblies with the ABS timing rings.

This system can be upgraded to anti sway module.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:29 AM   #38
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
I hear what you are saying as I am no fan of all the senseless regulation we all live with these days. In this case I think the long term cost would be relatively neutral as every time someone rolls a trailer it eventually raises our insurance rates.

The problem is the people that really need it are the ones that won't buy it as an option. The cost of installing at the factory is a about 1/4 the cost of doing it aftermarket.

Andrew T
Cost versus benefit. Easy enough.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 11:02 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' International CCD
cary , North Carolina
Quote:

Andrew T
I hear what you're both saying and I think you're both right !
We don't need anymore *Government* regulation, but I really think the RV industry - or at least Airstream as the trailer leader - needs to adopt this technology as *standard* equipment on all large trailers.
If a Carnival Cruise line ship sinks, both Carnival *and* Royal Carribean will see their future sales drop...
I don't believe that anti-lock brakes are a federal mandate in the US, but no car manufacturer could hope to sell a single unit here unless offering this technology standard.
This device can only make a trailer safer, which in the long run will make the entire trailer industry safer.
Safer is better for sales.
The business case makes itself...
Old 11-21-2014, 07:02 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Brookfield , Wisconsin
Pretty simple equation; Increase the volume and the cost goes down. If customers keep asking for it, they will supply it. As others stated, if it is installed when the trailer is manufactured the cost to the end user is far less. ABS started out as an option and once people realized the benefits it eventually became standard equipment. Sway control will likely follow the same path, which in my opinion letting the customer decide what he is willing to pay for is the preferred approach. However, some thought the government getting involved in our health care was the right thing to do, and look where that got us. Personally I think trailer insurance "should be less" if you have one as they become aware of its value, thus providing some payback. Heck, what is a "rolled over trailer worth"? That buys a LOT of sway controllers. The product functionality exceeds what is discussed here as will become apparent as more test postings appear. It contains numerous diagnostics like watching for short circuits, automatically adjusts for differences in left and right braking levels due to wear and varying road conditions, disables during rough roads and enables when off of the rough road and so on. Relative to an install, you need to get fused power and ground from our trailer/vehicle battery sway controller to apply brakes during a sway as blue wire is likely off at the time, disconnect blue wire from brakes and connect to sway controller, connect left trailer brakes to "left" wire from sway controller and right trailer brakes to right wire from sway controller, mount unit in center line of trailer and you are good to go. Just remember when making those connections, this is your brakes you are messing with so just make very good connections and seal them from corrosion. Oh, did I mention sway control also applies left and right brakes when blue wire is active! Someone said if you loose brakes on one side it wouldn't work, which is partially correct. It wouldn't reduce sway going one way but it would when going the other way, so it would reduce the sway half as much. The greater the sway, the harder it will brake, and so on. In reality, it's actually a very good test to run. As one individual said; "If you decided to spend some money on your trailer for Christmas and are looking for something to buy a sway controller would certainly be high on that list, and for some at the top of that list". I'm one for letting the market decide, but once you experience a "real sway event" you likely don't want to experience it again.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:41 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Real sway is no fun...

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:43 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario