Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2019, 09:14 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkreis View Post
I have moved from a 19CB Tommy Bahama to a 2019 28' International Sig 28RBQ and when towing it home from Austin to Dallas, I noticed a significant difference in how the wind from 18 Wheelers affected the trailer (pushing it around quite a bit). My TV is a 2018 Ford F-150 and my hitch is a Blue Ox. I'm guessing this is fairly normal since there is a lot more surface to push.. ????

Leaving all the hype of "my hitch is better than your hitch" out of this discussion I have an observation to make.

After reading your OP above, did you simply move the hitch you used on your 19CB to your 28RBQ without making any adjustments? If so then it is totally understandable that you would not have the same towing experience as before. Some have said to weigh your new set up. I will add, you need to readjust your hitch to your new trailer. If that doesn't work, then you might need a change to your hitch. New bars or whatever.....I would try this first.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:59 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Temple , Texas
In a perfect world a 3/4 ton TV. What I would do first is check your bars. the dots indicate which ones you have (refer to the Blu Ox web site to insure which ones you have - I think more dots are heavier bars) 1000 lb bars would be a minimum need (what I have for my 25FB) but 1500 may be even better. The only times I feel any "push" from trucks is on windy days.
You can order heavier bars from etrailer or other sites including Blu OX if needed,
RamRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:16 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of sight View Post
Neither does mine, not even one iota at 85 mph towing on the ball.
What is this "trailer sway" people speak of? I'm also towing on the ball with no signs of the dreaded trailer sway.
mikextr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 02:12 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Renton , Washington
Your TV and trailer are nearly identical to mine. I have a 2013 F150 3.5EB towing a 2018 28RBQ Serenity. Let’s just say that when I picked up our trailer the dealer tech could have done a better job setting up our Blue Ox Sway Pro we had used on two earlier trailers. Our first short shakedown trip revealed that the trailer was nearly driving the truck. Sway was bad, influence from other trucks was bad and curves, especially downhill were scary. I took it back into the dealer for a check and they left it as they set it up. That is, the ball had been raised to level the trailer, leaving the tension on the spring bars way too low. There was very little weight transfer and the front tires of the truck were well unloaded.

So I pulled out the Blue Ox manual and headed to a flat parking lot early on a Sunday. It took a few hours of measuring the wheel arches of the truck, leveling the trailer, measuring the ball height, hitching up and measuring everything again. Then unhitching, moving the ball down according to the manual, hitching up and doing it all over again. I ended up dropping the ball about 1-1/2” and increasing the spring bar tension two links from where the dealer had it - still one link shy of Blue Ox directions which I find I don’t need. The ball is 1/4” higher than the ball socket, the trailer is exactly level, the front truck wheel arch is the same as unhitched and the rear wheel arch drops 1” when hitched.

The ride is night and day different and we just finished a 16,000 mile trip. We do get pushed a bit by trucks as everyone does but its not an issue for sway. Curves are also no longer an issue. A visit to the CAT scales in the middle of our trip confirmed good weight transfer (I don’t have the numbers handy). I also replaced our truck shocks with Bilsteins to improve overall handling but that’s mostly damping and not sway. So my advice would be to take some time to check the hitch installation and make adjustments as needed. I think you may find it will make a big difference. Good luck.
Wconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 02:24 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Different hitch. But ...:my experience reflects what Mr. Morgan pointed out about weight transfer. I am set at a point where overall it feels good and there is very little “pull” from trucks. If I tighten the chains one more link the steering feels “tighter” but I get a much larger “pull” from passing trucks. So you might try a bit less wt transfer with the BO hitch. Only takes a few min on a busy interstate to decide. None of the feeling I get is “sway”. Just a one piece pull towards the padding truck.

Question for Mr Morgan. Do you “ feel” an overtaking truck with the Hensley hitch?

Never any more than when a truck passes me when I'm NOT towing, I asked Elizabeth just now, she said "not at all".

Elizabeth's word seals it.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 02:35 PM   #26
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wconley View Post
.....snip
We do get pushed a bit by trucks as everyone does but its not an issue for sway. .
Most...but NOT everyone.😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 06-17-2019, 02:51 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Renton , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Most...but NOT everyone.😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Well my M3 will feel a truck go by. The difference is whether there’s any drama involved. Properly set up, you will feel it but it’s no big deal.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:01 PM   #28
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wconley View Post
Well my M3 will feel a truck go by. The difference is whether there’s any drama involved. Properly set up, you will feel it but it’s no big deal.

Well, the M3..is built to feel everything and tow?, "don't be silly"😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 06-17-2019, 03:32 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Renton , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Well, the M3..is built to feel everything and tow?, "don't be silly"😂

Bob
🇺🇸
“don’t be silly” My wife has told me that, unsuccessfully, for years. 😎
Old 06-17-2019, 04:16 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
Keep tinkering with adjustment until it is as perfect as possible.
Yes!
Mine tows great, but I'm always wondering if one more washer might help, or moving the head one hole higher on the shank. Or changing shanks.
Photographs and cat scales. There's no book to look up everything.
(Which means a couple of breaker bars with 1 1/8" deep sockets are handy. And some shade.)
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:16 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
The weird thing I noted lately is the Tacoma without the trailer buffets more than with the trailer and ProPride hooked up on the road when big vehicles pass. I found that interesting but don’t have a good explanation just yet.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:24 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
"on the ball" are some people pulling a greater than 25 ft TT on the trailer ball with no weight distribution or sway control just like a small boat or utility trailer?
Try this. The next time you're on a long drive, look at every trailer you see. Look to determine their hitch. I've NEVER seen a WD hitch on anything except campers. That includes big boat trailers, flat beds with bulldozers, horse trailers, and enclosed utility car haulers.

I'm not suggesting it, I'm only the messenger.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:25 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
The weird thing I noted lately is the Tacoma without the trailer buffets more than with the trailer and ProPride hooked up on the road when big vehicles pass. I found that interesting but don’t have a good explanation just yet.

Well, my truck as a rule rides smoother, and tracks straighter with my trailer in tow, excepting the really abrupt and large bumps of course.

Old 06-17-2019, 04:47 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
To the OP.....start from scratch on your hitch setup. Follow the manufacturer's recommendations. As stated previously, you likely need heavier bars.

Ignore the towontheballpropridehensleymyhitchisbetterthanyour hitch banter.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:07 PM   #35
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrvr View Post
Yup!
Bull dozers with family aboard...YEP.🥴

TETO...👍
Bob
🇺🇸
Old 06-17-2019, 07:27 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
I must have really gotten cheated, I paid $1,200 for my used Hensley.....
Mine was $2600 brand new.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:53 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Mine was $2600 brand new.

I paid $600 for a Hensley that needed a little bit of TLC (disassemble to grease spindle bearings, weight bar socket and paint).
My sister paid $900 for a Hensley.
A friend of mine paid $1100 for one used 3 times..... They original owner decided camping wasn't for them.

To the OP - as others suggested take some time to set up the hitch you already have and see how things go.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:11 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Well, my truck as a rule rides smoother, and tracks straighter with my trailer in tow, excepting the really abrupt and large bumps of course.

Ok, then I’m not losing my mind on that observation at least...thanks for the confirmation.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:36 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Ok, then I’m not losing my mind on that observation at least...thanks for the confirmation.

Nope. In my view I think the Hensley/ProPride phenom is real.

#JoyInTowing

Old 06-18-2019, 11:02 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I have towed for many tens of thousands of miles and sometimes in weather conditions where most of these forum members would have stayed at home. And this started in September of 2004. This is with the same trailer, the same hitch, and the same tow vehicle for the first ten years. New tow vehicle in 2015, but still the same trailer with the same hitch.

"In all of this time, my trailer has only once, swayed violently out of control. It was parked in my driveway during a 5.0 Earthquake."
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote