Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2010, 09:21 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Trailer Security

While a neighbor was admiring our new A/S he asked if I was going to lock the coupler. I had thought about getting a lock, but wasn't sure what was available. I stopped by a local trailer (not A/S or TT) dealer he had one or two that were close fits but none seemed to be secure (no pun intended).

I was wondering what others are doing to help deter theft.

Thanks
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:35 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Someone recently suggested a wheel boot or two.
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:58 PM   #3
_

. , .
many threads on this issue,

this is a pretty complete one but there are others...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...ers-29301.html

not much new,

but 'low jack' like tracking is more widely available now.
_________

since the op has a new unit,

FULL REPLACEMENT INSURANCE coverage is important.

make sure U have that and not the 'full coverage' typically offered...

that uses BOOK value, which is already much depreciated.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi,

Guardian G-37 for 2 5/16" rolled lip coupler.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2008 473.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	110658  
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:33 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
2009 23' International
Bainbridge Island , Washington
Looking at the Guardian G-37 in the above photo, it seems to me you could accomplish the same thing by inserting a hitch ball into the coupler and then locking the hitch.
jglabrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:50 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
Friends: I'm the Devil's advocate here. Why spend $700 for LoJack protection? Why spend hundreds of dollars for locks and boots? Except for a simple and inexpensive hitch lock, why not use insurance, back-up files and records to protect our property? Are many stolen RVs recovered? Would you want it back if yours were recovered, although stripped and gutted? In short, we spend hundreds of dollars a month to insure our homes, cars and campers. Isn't enough enough? Best wishes, John
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:51 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglabrown View Post
Looking at the Guardian G-37 in the above photo, it seems to me you could accomplish the same thing by inserting a hitch ball into the coupler and then locking the hitch.
Better cut the shank off or they will just use the hitch ball you just provided them...
c177tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:38 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi,

Guardian G-37 for 2 5/16" rolled lip coupler.
Your trailer can easily be stolen, without touching that great lock.

As long as the jack and safety chains are still there, you trailer can be towed away in less than one minute.

How?

Put the safety chains around a ball, then lower the jack.

That is good enough to get the trailer to a different location, where other tools can remove even that very nice lock.

And granted, that lock stops some thiefs, but not a sophisticated one.

I am going to try to come up with something that will intermittently lock the brakes, if the trailer is in motion. Of course that would also depend on the battery condition.

But then, the brake wires could easily be cut, but that would not stop the alarm.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:08 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by c177tx View Post
Better cut the shank off or they will just use the hitch ball you just provided them...
Hi, the big difference is, if the coupler latch lock is cut or broken off, the ball will fall out. Also, you can drive out the coupler latch handle roll pin to bypass the latch lock. The Guardian G-37 gives them another obstacle to deal with. The latch lock by it'self won't help; I remove my coupler lock [leaving the latch lock in place] and use a 2" ball to move my trailer forward in my driveway to work on it.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:04 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by c177tx View Post
We added a ball after seeing the post Robertsunrus made, in another thread on the topic, about dropping his trailer down on a 2" ball. I torqued the nut and lock washer on the shank - not sure how they could use that as it just spins in the socket. I suppose you could get a pipe wrench on the lip and then a ball wrench on the nut.

I also added a hidden cut off switch to the jack but then... we see the trailer stolen in TX where they knew enough to pop the jack cover and use the manual crank. Then there's Andy's post - never crossed my mind....

To me, I'm just trying to stop the casual thief. A lo jack style system and the boot may be the ultimate.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:40 AM   #11

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBinKC View Post
Friends: I'm the Devil's advocate here. Why spend $700 for LoJack protection? Why spend hundreds of dollars for locks and boots? Except for a simple and inexpensive hitch lock, why not use insurance, back-up files and records to protect our property? Are many stolen RVs recovered? Would you want it back if yours were recovered, although stripped and gutted? In short, we spend hundreds of dollars a month to insure our homes, cars and campers. Isn't enough enough? Best wishes, John
I definitely intend to carry insurance when I own an Airstream. However, many of the people on this forum can't really insure all that they have. Someone with a 40-year-old trailer who's put a lot of work and money into restoring and/or modifying it to their tastes and to reliable, always-usable condition may not be able to insure it for enough to go out and buy a roughly equivalent trailer.

Is there the classic-Airstream equivalent of classic-car insurance? And if there is, does it come with all the same restrictions? When I had my '71 Skylark Convertible, I had it insured on a classic policy that was quite affordable and covered the real value of the car (rather than the scrap value that KBB or Edmunds would suggest.) However, it included some constraints on how I could use the car and how many miles I could put on it in a year.

So, I think that both insurance and reasonable theft deterrence would work together to increase peace of mind.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:45 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Helping them along

Quote:
MMMMM not sure that's a solution, now you have provided them with a hitch ball to drop into their tow bar and away they go, unless you saw the threads off the ball.

I did find I could slide a 2" ball right into the coupler with it locked GAHHHH.
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:25 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
What theives want least is to be slowed in their process of Stealing anything. The more challenges you put in place the slower they are and have a greater chance of being discovered. Hitch locks, tongue ball locks, chains thru and between the wheels and even boots all contribute. BUT the reality is IF THEY REALLY WANT IT,YA CANT STOP EM. Cause they come equipped to handle anything. Just do the best ya can.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:09 AM   #14
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Everyone has their system.

I have good insurance. I also have a security chain and padlock between the wheel spokes.

The hassle and delays associated with replacing a traylah are considerable and even the best insurance will not cover all costs of replacement.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:22 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
This alarm activates the trailer brakes, has GPS tracking and calls your cell phone.
GPS Tracking Security System, Trailer Dog Security System Products - TD 2000 G - Theft Deterrent System, Real-time GPS Tracking, Geo-fencing, 2 Way Cellular Communication, Security for Trailers with Electrical Power Source, Security Systems, Trailer
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:49 PM   #16

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
that Trailer Dog thing seems pretty nifty, though hopefully the GPS/cellular lives in a different hidden box so if a determined thief stops the alarm and brake-activation part, you can still track its location with the GPS system.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:08 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
What is a workable hitch, couple, latch lock set for older (1964) single axle Airstream with 2” Marvel hitch?
Trying to s l o w them down, can’t stop them.
walter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:13 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
Waverly , Pennsylvania
I have to admit that I don't do anything to deter theft. Crazy? Probably!

I'm insured for replacement value, but who determines that - ultimately the insurance company. Unfortunately my trailer is financed, so I probably owe more than the current book value.

I figure if someone wants to steal it, it's going to happen and lock's aren't really going to help.
nayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:54 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
I would like to thank everyone who has responded! Your advice and suggestions are very helpful, as were the links to other threads.

Thanks Again
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:24 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Wish I had read this thread about 2 weeks ago. Airstreams are very desirable and a simple tongue lock or master lock on the hitch won't slow down a pro thief. Get some serious steel on your wheels. Mike the fixit said it right. On mine they couldn't get the electric lift to work cause the battery was dead so they tore the cover off it and found a way to get the trailer down on the ball, maybe hot wired it with a battery or maybe there's a manual way to disengage the gear. They came prepared that's for sure. So like Mike said use four different ways to deter them, then put a GPS tracker inside the unit, a motion alarm on the outside. If someone can see it they will want it and they will find a way to take it.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote