Old 03-05-2012, 05:16 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Trailer Dolly?

Any advice out there on trailer dollies? My 28' AS needs to be maneuvered down a tight driveway with house on one side and trees on the other (1-2' clearance each, give or take) onto a backyard pad. While my TV can handle it with carefully maneuvering and patience, a dolly looks like it might make the job a whole lot easier. I've seen nifty motorized models out there that even have electronic brake controllers for the trailer.

Thoughts? 900 lbs. of trailer hitch weight and a 7,400 lbs loaded trailer would seem to indicate the need for something beefy.

Cheers,

Jim

Old 03-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Would a trailer hitch on the front of your tow vehicle help? You might find it to be cheaper and easier to use.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:52 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
I just purchased one on Saturday. Here is my review from another thread:

OK, as promised (pics later): I picked my AC7 Powermover electric corded trailer dolly from Brady in San Clemente. I had ordered it by phone just a couple days ago. After looking at his website I asked about this model. Gave him my trailer description, a few measurements while he waited on the phone and put in my order for Saturday. I later sent him a couple pics of the A-frame/tongue section.

It was a beautiful day to make the 70+ mile drive to the beach. Brady gave me thorough briefing on how to hook up and use the dolly. When I got home I immediately got to work (before I forgot anything he had told me). His instructions made perfect sense as I hooked everything up. The only glitch was when I tried to move the trailer without removing my heavy duty rubber chocks (although the dolly was making a mighty effort to drive over them anyway). But after correcting my mistake it was smooth sailing.

My backyard is all dirt and grass, and fairly soft and lumpy in several places. Kinda level overall, but far from smooth. Those 4 wheels never spun once (except for the chocks mistake I made). And turning is very easy on grass/dirt. I just pivoted and slide the wheels while stopped, then restarted in the new position. The hardest part in the whole operation is just the time it takes to crank up the stabilizers, remove chocks, etc. The same as anytime you hitch up to go somewhere. Cranking up the tongue jack to attach the dolly is easier than hitching up to a TV.

This is a very solid unit, using lots of plate steel in the construction. Should last me until I can't Stream anymore, and then some. Maintenance amounts to slapping on some grease and oiling the chain once a year.

Oh yes, attaching the coupler adapter was easy also. It bolts to the A-frame, close to the trailer. And it is a permanent mount, well out the way of the hitching gear. The coupler seems very secure once it is slide over the dolly. I can see why he uses this method and not trailer ball method. The wheels are prevented from coming out from under the trailer by the coupler steel column that is a few inches deep. A lot more stable than that flimsy tongue jack wheel that came with the trailer and holds up the front end most of the time.

I highly recommend this dolly.

The thread is here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f212...ion-36245.html
Old 03-05-2012, 05:54 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
They also make "beefier" models, although I think this one could handle a lot more than my AS.

All Wheel Drive AC Powered Trailer Dolly
Old 03-06-2012, 06:07 PM   #5
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Brady did a great job customizing my power mover specifically for my trailer. As you'll see if you do some searching, Andy at Inland is dead set against these as "hazardous to your health." Particularly if you have other than a single axle. I use mine for a basically "straight-in" shot between two narrow gates up an incline and back into a customized space. I solo 'Stream. While the cost of the mover is not inconsiderable, the control I have to NOT crease thousands of dollars of new aluminum with less than 12 inches on either side of my entry way is a cost-benefit ratio that -- to me -- is well worth it. The safest tool in the hand of a fool is NOT safe!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Dual Axle

So I take it my dual axle 28' International is probably unsafe to move with a dolly?

I guess I'll just have to practice, practice, practice my back-up maneuver skills...

Best

Jim
Old 03-06-2012, 06:45 PM   #7
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I have the same trailer you do (just newer). My power mover works just fine. It looks like expert opinion would go against making less than well-thought-out turns with a mover as you can flip the mover (and you!) as well as put enough sideways pressure on your tires/wheels to separate them. Not good. So, I line 'er up with my driveway. Unhitch. Attach the Brady-special-power mover and gently back Silver Leaf into its tight parking spot. Brady included the braking assembly (you plug your standard connector into the receptacle, attach the positive/negative cables to your battery)....and if you need to apply trailer brakes you flip the switch...presto, trailer brakes are applied. You can't leave that switch on for more than a few minutes or you can burn out the electric brake assemblies. Lots of cautions....but if you keep your head on straight I find this much less stressful than backing 28' of trailer a few feet of hitch, and an SUV through what seems like a thread through a needle. No amount of practicing backing (so far) is the same thing as facing the same direction as my trailer as I back it through those two gates. My opinion. Others will disagree.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Jim, If you have two people, get a set of cheap walkie talkies one driving, one behind the trailer "talking" the driver in. If it is just you, get a backup camera and don't forget to look up!
Old 03-07-2012, 02:30 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
I have the same trailer you do (just newer). My power mover works just fine. It looks like expert opinion would go against making less than well-thought-out turns with a mover as you can flip the mover (and you!) as well as put enough sideways pressure on your tires/wheels to separate them. Not good. So, I line 'er up with my driveway. Unhitch. Attach the Brady-special-power mover and gently back Silver Leaf into its tight parking spot. Brady included the braking assembly (you plug your standard connector into the receptacle, attach the positive/negative cables to your battery)....and if you need to apply trailer brakes you flip the switch...presto, trailer brakes are applied. You can't leave that switch on for more than a few minutes or you can burn out the electric brake assemblies. Lots of cautions....but if you keep your head on straight I find this much less stressful than backing 28' of trailer a few feet of hitch, and an SUV through what seems like a thread through a needle. No amount of practicing backing (so far) is the same thing as facing the same direction as my trailer as I back it through those two gates. My opinion. Others will disagree.
I am building a power mover from plans. I don't quite see how you flip these or seperate the tires. How would that happen on a dual axle with a mover. Meaning, whats different about a mover that would cause tire seperation that wouldn't happen on a TV? Or flip the mover - are you talking about seperating the tires on the mover?
Old 03-07-2012, 02:59 PM   #10
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
For dollies that have a hitch ball and attach to the receiver the same way as a tow vehicle, the potential problem is that, during tight turns on an incline, the force of the trailer tongue may tip the dolly over leading to a loss of control. Some dollies attach in a way that reduces this risk.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:37 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
For dollies that have a hitch ball and attach to the receiver the same way as a tow vehicle, the potential problem is that, during tight turns on an incline, the force of the trailer tongue may tip the dolly over leading to a loss of control. Some dollies attach in a way that reduces this risk.
Those are very dangerous. The powermover does not use a hitch ball connection. It comes with a coupler, which is a heavy steel cylindrical pipe that is bolted to the a-frame. The mover itself has a solid cylinder on top that the coupler slips onto. Very solid and does not allow the mover wheels to roll out from under the trailer.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:39 AM   #12

Currently Looking...
Simi Valley , California
Ya I agree, the dollies are no good. I have a bad back and for the dolly, I have to push down (to lift) and out (to push back). for your weight Powercaster or parkit (a powercaster copy) are good. There's a new thing called a Trailer Valet, it looks promising and doubles as the jack, but has a limit of 500 tongue.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:28 PM   #13
1971 31" Excella 500

1971 31' Excella 500
Palm Springs , California
try this link for fun..... remote control mover that attaches to the trailer frame-77 pound weight.....I know this from being in Europe.
Truma - Tips, questions and answers about our Mover manoeuvring systems

Not cheap at $2,400

Truma Mover TE-R4. Truma is a excellent European company. Great propane RV heating systems and other products also.