Old 06-14-2004, 10:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Trailer Dolly

Can anyone advise me on a trailer dolly (by hand). We just purchased a International CCD 22' and the AS dealer felt I and one other person could move it using a hand trailer dolly from KwiKee, about $200.00. Any ideas? I goggled Castle Craft, and they had several, all about the same price. The AS dealer seems to know what he is talking about, but thought I would ask other owners. Thanks, H. Goertzen

Old 06-14-2004, 11:25 PM   #2
Vintage RV

1959 24' Tradewind
Atascadero , California
Send a message via Yahoo to plowboy
I purchased mine from Harbor Frieght Tools for about $60. I have found that it takes about three people to move our trailer (1959 tradewind.) We have a VERY slight incline and the trailer want to take off when being pulled out. that being the case, I mostly use it to move the front of the trailer over a foot or so to allow for easier access to the backyard.
I have honed my backing skills to where I've been able to get by without it (so far!).

Paul

Old 06-15-2004, 09:06 AM   #3
DEO
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
West of Boston , Massachusetts
We thought about it initially when we had a 19' Bambi and actually used the dealers when we had it delivered. It was very difficult and very heavy... I would suggest the same as plowboy that honeing your backing skills and taking a few extra passes we have been able to park our 25' Safari (we upgraded) in a rathre tight spot. By the way my wife does the backing I do the directing.. Essentially a team effort...
Old 06-15-2004, 09:38 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Dolly Again

Hello Folks. Im kinda stuck using a dolly for moving the International 22', but not for turning it. I should have explained that in more detail. I will be able to back it in to a point, but then will have to disconect and pull the AS by hand for about 12 feet, straight in on leval ground. There is just not enough room in our backyard to do a complete 180 degree turnaround so the door will face in the direction we want. I'll keep thinking on this, and see if there is a dolly that will work. I know there are electric trailer dollys, but alot of money for something I will use infrequently, thanks for the input, H. Goertzen
Old 06-15-2004, 09:41 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
I'm building a trailer hitch ball draw bar (bracket) to bolt onto the front of my 5 hp gas engine John Deere self-propelled snowblower to move a 1948 16' Wee Wind that weighs 1,250 pounds over near level dirt ground. This will keep the snowblower in running condition over the summer months and reduces backyard clutter by obviating ther need for a separate small trailer moving device. I'll post photos when I complete the project, hopefully by this weekend.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 01:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
I have one for sale

Hi, I have a minimally used (as in looks new) hand dolly for sale. 50.00 + shipping from Seattle, WA. I can send pics if you are interested.
Marc
Old 06-15-2004, 08:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Lightbulb Small 12volt electric winch...

I have a worse situaion than yours. My driveway slopes about 9" per 8 foot of run. I have to drive in head first, stop and remove my truck in the first part of the drive where I can still get out around the trailer. I then had to move the trailer about 50' up the hill to where I am now working on it. Here is what I did:

I bought a small 12 volt electric winch of about 2000lbs capacity. It came with a pully so I could get some extra leverage by running the cable through the pully and back to the winch. I think I paid something like $79 for it at Schucks Auto Parts but I know there are some that are cheaper out there. I had a light-weight trailer tow bar insert (you know the 2" tube with a ball on the end of it). I swapped out the 2" ball for a 2-5/16" to match the trailer tounge. I figured out how to bolt the winch to the tow bar. In fact I picked a winch with two holes in its base plate that were in line with the pulling direction. I bolted the winch on, inserted the ball into my trailer hitch and put a 12 volt battery on the tounge with a bungy cord to keep it from falling off. The winch came with a control switch and enough wire to get to battery. In my case I was able to use a tow strap attached to a tree to pull toward. It took me maybe an hour all together to get the trailer moved the 50 or 60' but that was mostly because I had to keep relocating the tow strap. The winch came with something like 25' of steel cable. I thought that what I might do later was to fix the winch so it could connect to my trailer electric through the cable that plugs into my truck. For now the trailer electric is not all together as yet.

If you have something to attach a cable to the winch might be the ticket. If it sounds like it might work for you I could post a couple of photos so it makes more sense. By the way I just let the front of the trailer roll on a standard wheel that I attached to the bottom of my tounge jack.

Malcolm
Old 02-21-2013, 01:46 AM   #8

2013 16' Sport
ste. anne , Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by malconium View Post
I have a worse situaion than yours. My driveway slopes about 9" per 8 foot of run. I have to drive in head first, stop and remove my truck in the first part of the drive where I can still get out around the trailer. I then had to move the trailer about 50' up the hill to where I am now working on it. Here is what I did:

I bought a small 12 volt electric winch of about 2000lbs capacity. It came with a pully so I could get some extra leverage by running the cable through the pully and back to the winch. I think I paid something like $79 for it at Schucks Auto Parts but I know there are some that are cheaper out there. I had a light-weight trailer tow bar insert (you know the 2" tube with a ball on the end of it). I swapped out the 2" ball for a 2-5/16" to match the trailer tounge. I figured out how to bolt the winch to the tow bar. In fact I picked a winch with two holes in its base plate that were in line with the pulling direction. I bolted the winch on, inserted the ball into my trailer hitch and put a 12 volt battery on the tounge with a bungy cord to keep it from falling off. The winch came with a control switch and enough wire to get to battery. In my case I was able to use a tow strap attached to a tree to pull toward. It took me maybe an hour all together to get the trailer moved the 50 or 60' but that was mostly because I had to keep relocating the tow strap. The winch came with something like 25' of steel cable. I thought that what I might do later was to fix the winch so it could connect to my trailer electric through the cable that plugs into my truck. For now the trailer electric is not all together as yet.

If you have something to attach a cable to the winch might be the ticket. If it sounds like it might work for you I could post a couple of photos so it makes more sense. By the way I just let the front of the trailer roll on a standard wheel that I attached to the bottom of my tounge jack.

Malcolm
Hello there,
It sounds like what I need. Would certainly appreciate some pictures
Thank in advance.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:52 AM   #9
AirstreamerMtl

2012 25' FB International
Montreal , Quebec
Hello SRINTERLIGH,

if you are serious about getting a dolly to move your Airstream this is the one you should get.
I recommand the PC-3 from Powercaster.*

Power Caster,electric trailer mover dolly, boat dolly, toy hauler