Old 08-08-2018, 07:52 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

Mountain View , California
I am always towing 60 mph (which is likely 56-57) on cruise control. I am usually on the second lane from right (if there are more then two lanes), because there are tons of morons who don't know how to merge. I don't see any problem with towing 15-20 mph slower than the traffic.

I find it strange to feel obliged to keep up with the traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
There are many places in the US with higher posted speeds than 70 mph. Texas has lots of 75 mph and some 80 mph stretches. There's even one 85 mph stretch on a tollway in central Texas. Texas doesn't mandate a lower speed limit for towing. That said, I don't tow my Airstream at 80 but neither do I imagine it would be a relaxing experience to tow it 55 on the interstate. I generally hang out to the right around 65-68 mph under those conditions.

bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:01 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Trailer Brake Stopping Power as Percentage of Weight

Just a hard stop on the TV alone takes a lot of distance. With the trailer, I’d bet even longer. No fun in an emergency either way. And yeah, 65-68 max when towing, assuming decent weather and dry pavement if the limit is that high or higher.
Our rig is very stable up to 85, but when I noted the speed, I backed off gently. It eats a lot of gas at that speed, imho.

2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:35 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Lake Forest , Illinois
I agree, I will rarely go above 60 mph... at this speed you can react and also brake from others on the road intent on cutting you upon, brake checking you etc.
kjbishop2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:56 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
So will the trailer brakes stop the trailer from 80 mph or do the TV brakes need to pick up part of the trailer stopping?

Assuming you have drum brakes on the trailer and you were going 80 mph (or any speed) and slide the "full on" lever on the brake controller you will slow down - very slowly and gradual.

Stopping a trailer is always a combination of both the TV and trailer brakes. Drum brakes seem to be good at slowing down the trailer but not hard, fast stops in my experience. No matter how good of shape the drum brakes are on a trailer they will always be mediocre at best and I have always been anal about keeping the brake shoes properly and equally adjusted. The only time i have ever seen drum brakes on a trailer strong enough to lock up a wheel has been on an empty utility trailer.
It is always going to takes more distance to stop both a TV and trailer no matter if the TV is big or small. Do your best to keep some distance between you and the next vehicle or as the situation dictates.
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:35 AM   #33
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Applied amps= lock-up.

If I turn the TruControl up to max the AS brakes will lock.

Bob
🇺🇸

“It’s a crooked piece of time that we live in….”
John Prine

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:15 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I guess the only way to tell would be to do a stopping test from speed for the rig and then again with just the TV. Not about to do that. But my experience with hard stops over the last 10 years with this rig indicates that my trailer does not nearly “stop itself” when set the way I run it. I do have it set to “ lead” a little so on a slow, easy stop the trailer does do a larger share than the truck. But in a hard stop from speed the trailer “pushes” a lot.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:32 PM   #35
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
The problem with California towing speed being set at 55 is when you are on a two lane road, not a multi-lane freeway. When driving at 55 and the limit for all other traffic is 65+, it creates some dangerous passing situations when people want to get around you. I don't need a 3-way head on accident, so I will drive at 65 when everyone else is. You Californians do what you want.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:50 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

Mountain View , California
Same applies to towing 65+...this creates some dangerous situations...

Don't get me wrong, I generally don't care how fast other people are driving. However, this is an objective fact that towing 65+ creates more risks than towing 55.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
(...) When driving at 55 and the limit for all other traffic is 65+, it creates some dangerous passing situations when people want to get around you.(...)
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:33 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
Regardless of what they start out as, most towing threads end up turning into one of two things; A Propride vs. Everything Else "discussion", or truck vs. car "discussion". In the truck vs. car discussions braking performance is routinely brought up as an advantage of one over the other. Truck enthusiasts argue trucks are heavier, have larger brakes and more stopping power, while the car crowd cites more stability and better handling under braking.

All these discussion got me wondering, what percentage of an AS trailer's weight are the trailers brakes capable of stopping when you need to stop as fast as you can?

Of course there are loads of variables including, the specific model trailer, what brakes, are the brakes adjusted correctly, what payload, how fast can the TV brake, etc. So, the question and answers are of course going to be somewhat vague.

So is the OEM braking system in an AS designed to provide 100% of it's own braking power, or does is depend on the TV for a percentage of it? If so, what percentage do you think it is? If you have customized your brakes to disc, what percentage do you think you get?

Wild ass guesses are perfectly welcome.
My stopping distance doesn’t increase much with the trailer on. I would guess that 20% of the stopping effort for the trailer comes from the truck based on the slight increase in distance. I increase following distance accordingly when towing. Following too close can result in unnecessary braking which will heat up and fade drum brakes.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:40 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
Same applies to towing 65+...this creates some dangerous situations...

Don't get me wrong, I generally don't care how fast other people are driving. However, this is an objective fact that towing 65+ creates more risks than towing 55.
Go with the flow (within reason of course). Doing 55 across Michigan, Indiana, or Ohio would not be very enjoyable. If I can’t get something up to at least 62 (like an antique car) I take a secondary road. My main reason for getting an F350 was to have enough power to keep up with traffic and enough weight to not get blown around when doing a reasonable speed.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:23 AM   #39
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
I guess the only way to tell would be to do a stopping test from speed for the rig and then again with just the TV. Not about to do that. But my experience with hard stops over the last 10 years with this rig indicates that my trailer does not nearly “stop itself” when set the way I run it. I do have it set to “ lead” a little so on a slow, easy stop the trailer does do a larger share than the truck. But in a hard stop from speed the trailer “pushes” a lot.
I've found the best way is to test is from a dead stop...max gain and pull forward.
I doo doo a 'panic' once in a while at a stadium lot near us just to get a baseline gain setting. The TruControl has an electronic gyro that will 'lead' the brake application at all gain settings. I can set it at the beginning of the trip for load and let it do the rest for changing conditions.

We use 'sweet spot' speed based on RPM...😍1800/2000=58/60mph, tow/haul in hilly terrain.

Bob
🇺🇸

“It’s a crooked piece of time that we live in….”
John Prine

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote