Old 10-02-2007, 01:54 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member
Trailer a trailer?

Hi all, I am thinking of getting a second airstream baby and wonder if anyone has experience with carrying a not-so-towable airstream home? Would it be possible to rent a tow dolly from some place like u-haul and put in on that if it is 17-19 feet? What are other options?

jcferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
I've heard of flat bed transport for situations like your's, but I'm not sure where you would rent the flat bed trailer for such.

Traveling With Elvis
life with a 1956 Sovereign of the Road

Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
rent a bumper pull

I can't remember where you live...but, I am sure there is a trailer sales business near you. I agricultural areas especially. Around here they always have trailers available for rent as well. Personally, I have a 22 foot heavy duty flatbed used to haul anything from tractors, to airplanes, to hay. It would handle your project easily. They rent 'em here in Texas.

By the way, does this mean you have a new project?
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:46 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member
Well... I'm looking. I have been using my 'stream as a mobile projection pod (see here: Current Location) and have the idea to make a wee-wind sort of rig from larger beat-up trailer to use for this purpose. I have the spaces and tools and time to do it - but in Utica, NY and Burlington, VT. So I would need to get my trailer out to Utica to live in, then come back to where-ever to pick up the trailer and haul it out for the chopping and sticking back together. Thanks for the ideas... probably a trailer of that sort would be perfect. I'm just wondering if there is something like uhaul that I could use that would allow a point to point trip, so I don't have to run the trailer all the way back to where-ever.

jcferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
A tow dolly from U-Haul will not work, nor will any other tow dolly. A tow dolly is designed to hold the front steering wheels of a vehicle while the rear wheels stay on the ground and it will pivot while being towed. In other words the rear end of your Airstream will be turning in directions you never thought possible. I think what you are looking for is a flat bed trailer.
Good luck to you.
Chaplain Kent
1994 30' Excella 1000, Chummy III- Ford Excursion- 7.3 Turbo-diesel
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master
2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i've seen u-haul flatbed trailers. the price was SHOCKING! in my area at least.
2012 F150 Super Crew 5-1/2' bed Ecoboost 4x4 3.73 elec. lock diff. Propride hitch
give life. kidney & pancreas transplant 9/9/06
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
I think the expense that you will incurr trailering or hiring a commercial tow service will be more than making the trailer road worthy. New tires which you would need anyway, brakes and axle grease should be all you need to tow it.
Neil and Lynn Holman
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:22 PM   #8

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
If you could find a flatbed trailer to rent at your starting point. You could deadhead out to get the new trailer, bring it back and return the flatbed.
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 11:45 AM   #9
Streamline Imperial
Currently Looking...
Bellflower , California

I agree that it would usually be easier to make the trailer roadworthy. Consider getting it ON the trailer without a crane, how long of a ramp would you need to not bottom out at some point? Unless you are buying old trailers regularly, a proper trailer for this would be expensive to own and difficult to rent. The only decent ones I've seen were fifth-wheel or bigrig size.

It might be wise to pre-purchase the tires you want long-term as mounting is more available than good trailer tires, especially far from home on the weekend. If you're going to have a shop pack the bearings, make sure they jack and support it properly. (Then leave them alone while they work, take it from a mechanic.)

Get a set of magnetic towing lights and blue masking tape and enough extension wire. If you want to get real fancy, have a bar or board to clamp on the drawbar with amber lights out at the front edges of the trailer, and a similar arrangement at the rear for side-lights. Trying to fix the existing lights has proven exasperating when away from the workshop no matter how you try to anticipate every need. My TV is such that I can plug in both the magnetic lights and the trailer, if at least some of the lights work.

It seems I love the mountains and deserts more than my friends do. I sure miss them!

1971 Streamline Imperial project "Silver Snausage", 1985 Coleman tent trailer, 1964 Little Dipper, 1975 Northwest "Proto Toyhauler", 2004 Harbor Freight folding, still seeking my Airstream.
SilvrSausage is offline   Reply With Quote