Old 09-15-2017, 07:35 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Decatur , Georgia
Toys and upgrades for our NEW Tow Vehicle

Today is the day we pick up our new 2018 Ford F-150 Ecoboost 4x4 Supercab 6.5 bed, 145in WB. We ordered it in July equipped with most of the goodies: max tow, BLIS, telescoping mirrors and all the tech.

It arrived with 1786 beautiful pounds of payload, per the door sticker.

By the end of the year it will be towing a 25RB with 2 smallish humans & 110lbs of dog.

So many important things to ponder (not the least of which: what to name it!) but for now I'd like to hear opinions from the wise ones on this forum regarding...

• Bedliner: Spray or drop in? Details to consider?
  • Tonneau Cover: does big $$ really = best quality? Fold or roll?
  • Bike, kevlar canoe and paddleboard carriers: best solutions and best practices?
  • Any suggestions for the truck that will make life easier on the road, or at home?
Thanks to the many threads/posts out there, we understand what we need and need to do re the WD hitch, thus it's not included in this list.

Your thoughts and opinions are much appreciated!

Old 09-15-2017, 08:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Regarding the bedliner, I have the spray-in type. Plus I purchased a BedRug. If I had to do it over again I would eliminate the spray-in bedliner completely and go only with the BedRug.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:28 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Naperville , Illinois
Best Additions to my PickUp

Bed Protection: I have had sprayed-in bed-liners in previous pickups, but they all had issues. I went with a WeatherTech custom fit (removable) bed-liner this time. It works well. (I use the TechLiner & UnderLiner.)

Kayak Carriers: Yakima JetStream bars and Yakima DeckHand Kayak Mounts. (They have endured over 100 loads and unloads. No issues with movment during long-distance transport.)

Interior Sun Protection: Weathertech TechShade

Carpet Protection: Custom fit WeatherTech FloorLiner (I like WeatherTech "stuff." It is well-designed and quite durable.)

Durable USB Cables (98% kid-proof): Anker brand with double-braided nylon sheaths.

Security: Spot Trace anti-theft tracking device
1995 & 2004 Gary Fisher Hoo-Koo-e-Koo emergency vehicles
pt.reyesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:55 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Decatur , Georgia
Bedrug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
If I had to do it over again I would eliminate the spray-in bedliner completely and go only with the BedRug.
Never heard of these until now. They look like a great solution especially if a tonneau cover is added, which is mandatory for us. Seems to protect the truck and cargo better than an ordinary liner. I also like that it looks like it's grey instead of matte black; cooler maybe. There's a few dealers nearby so we will most definitely check it out.

Thanks!!
Old 09-15-2017, 09:07 AM   #5
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I prefer the spray in bed liner for long term rust protection. Leer/Raider cap. Ford's weather mats for inside the vehicle.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:10 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
East Northport , New York
I didn't want to hang a bike carrier off the back of the Airstream so I went with a hard tonneau with bike racks on top. Undercover Ridgelander. Very happy with it so far. Gonna put a basket between the bikes to carry the tote as well. Also have the Bedrug.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170721_111202.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	294881
Old 09-15-2017, 09:20 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Locust grove , Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to Kyet
I would concur about the spray in bed liner. Would have saved a few dollars myself after realizing a week in that I still needed a Bedrug or Weathertech solution. I have the Weathertech molded and I put a simple (cheap) outdoor carpet over it so I had just enough slideability to get my things in and out.

As for the Cover I ended up doing the Diamond Back and couldn't be happier. Very light (I can remove parts or all of it by myself in under an hour), it stacks flat in a garage up against a wall, watertight, and very secure. There are a few different options available. I chose mine based on where I wanted my generator to live permanently that allowed ventilation but also extremely difficult to steal.

It is expensive but if you wanted to put a couple of ATV's on top (if you had the payload or even need) you can.

https://tonneaucoversworld.com/shop-...=q_and_a_links
Old 09-15-2017, 09:21 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Bedliner: I have the drop-in. It was $150.
Tonneau cover: I have a BakFlip G2. Can't recommend it. Started to delaminate within 1 year.
Bike/canoe/paddle board carrier: I want something like a ladder rack that will work with the tonneau cover.
Suggestion to make life with a truck easier: Bed steps at the back corners and maybe in front of the rear tires.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:31 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
1) definitely spray-in. molded ones eventually chafe the paint and allow rust. Be aware (bed rug comments?) some companies have a choice of formulas...slick surface for easy sliding of objects and a "tacky" finish for stable footing and much less sliding characteristic. I chose the tacky finish, as I load scooter and am walking on it a lot. Things stay put, except during the most aggressive braking situations.

2) Tonneau - personal choice. I chose inside the rail roll up....again for the scooter hauling as well as keeping the stake pockets available. Otherwise I'd get a tri-fold. Not a fan of fiberglass.

3) bikes go on the front of the AS (Arvika). Canoe goes on the roof (one Thule bar and on a home made stake pocket "ladder rack". (See inside the rail Tonneau above).

4) WeatherTech floor liners and windshield sun shield are highly suggested. Also, WeatherTech "no drill" mud flaps.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:40 AM   #10
Gordon

2014 30' International
Scarborough , Ontario
As your F150 has an aluminum bed, I wonder about a need for any bedliner as it won't rust. Maybe some carpet to be easier on the knees!
In my F150 (a 2012) I found the dash reflected in the windshield which I didn't like. A DashMat solved that for about $80, and very happy with it.
I put a cap on the bed of my truck - why not have full space, nice and dry? Although this may add a challenge for kayaks.
Bike rack hangs off the back of the trailer. It works well for two bikes but take a look at all the aluminum pins and consider replacing them from day one with stainless steel bolts. My aluminum pins broke during a long off road trip in northern Canada.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:46 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmoore View Post
As your F150 has an aluminum bed, I wonder about a need for any bedliner as it won't rust. Maybe some carpet to be easier on the knees!
In my F150 (a 2012) I found the dash reflected in the windshield which I didn't like. A DashMat solved that for about $80, and very happy with it.
I put a cap on the bed of my truck - why not have full space, nice and dry? Although this may add a challenge for kayaks.
Bike rack hangs off the back of the trailer. It works well for two bikes but take a look at all the aluminum pins and consider replacing them from day one with stainless steel bolts. My aluminum pins broke during a long off road trip in northern Canada.
Aluminum still "Oxidizes". Just like our ASes. I wouldn't like to find out after dirt and who knows what gets between the hard liner and the paint and chafes for several years.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 10:34 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Baileys Harbor , Wisconsin
I bought a 2017 equipped like yours. One thing I do have is the rear assist. I bought the roll up aluminum secure bed cover. Very nice. Pay the extra money! It's not that much more. You'll regret it if you don't. Very easy to roll and get into back of pick-up. And it's secure.

I put my bikes on the tongue. Might have a tongue weight issue, but it works great. That's why I am getting a scale to adjust tongue trailer weight. You probably won't have that issue with your size AS. I elevate them high enough so that when I turn the bikes go over the truck bed. I know some put them on the back, but I like to see them and there's less bouncing around than in the back. But we have $3,000 bikes so I REALLY like to see them. The problem is that you will have to get rid of AS tank cover and go to a soft cover for the tanks.

Everybody has their own solution, and there are lots. But don't skimp on the bed liner and cover.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:35 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithdogs View Post
[*]Bedliner: Spray or drop in? Details to consider?
Spray, no doubt.

Quote:
[*]Tonneau Cover: does big $$ really = best quality? Fold or roll?
I picked security over convenience. I got the solid Leer 700. It has a couple inches of extra headroom so my Honda EU3000is fits under it.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:37 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Baileys Harbor , Wisconsin
Where did you get those bike racks? I might have a tongue weight issue and that looks like it will solve my problem.