Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-15-2017, 11:54 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Littleton , Colorado
A wireless observation camera would be a nice addition for you. I installed a Voyager WVOS43 on our FB25', and the signal transmission was perfect. It's great for backing up, and even better to see what's coming from behind.
Then, a month later, we sold our A/S and have ordered a Leisure Van motorhome. Go figure.
rogerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 12:51 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
We got a TPMS system for the AS. The receiver mounts to the windshield, shows PSI and temp on all 4 trailer tires. Great peace of mind during hookup that no tires are low; and alerts help keep me aware if we get a leak, flat, or even a brake is hung causing overheating.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:00 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Park City , Utah
Bed rug vs. bedliner

I purchased a bed rug for my truck. I think it makes the bed of the truck much more user friendly than a spray in liner. The padding makes it more comfortable to crawl in and out under the shell. The bed rug dries quickly and is easy to clean if you need to use your truck for work.
Chucke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:35 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdog1 View Post
A wireless observation camera would be a nice addition for you. I installed a Voyager WVOS43 on our FB25', and the signal transmission was perfect. It's great for backing up, and even better to see what's coming from behind.
Then, a month later, we sold our A/S and have ordered a Leisure Van motorhome. Go figure.
I got front and rear dashcams for my truck for my own protection. The rear facing one has yielded some amusing video.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:58 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Anacortes , Washington
Things we like

We have a similar 2016 F150 as you bought. A great truck for around town and towing. No problems to date.

We have the X-Line spray in bed liner, and that is super tough.

We decided on the Bakflip folding bed cover, can't remember the model, but it supports about 300 pounds. Easy DIY install, well made, secure. The big reason we didn't want a tonneau cover that hinges from behind the cab is it makes it hard getting to the front bed area ( decreasing headroom). With the Bakfit, we can put larger things in and leave one or more, or all the cover sections stacked up.

Our Lariat has the tailgate step and it makes stepping into the bed great. We bought a few large storage containers from either Costco or Home Depot. Two of them, end to end, perfectly fit the width of the bed behind the cab. Then we use an expandable storage bar across the bed to keep them in place. Those boxes are black with yellow lids, in case you see them.

Happy shopping!
Pat Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 02:24 PM   #26
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
Regarding the bedliner, I have the spray-in type. Plus I purchased a BedRug. If I had to do it over again I would eliminate the spray-in bedliner completely and go only with the BedRug.
Ditto. My bed rug is 12 years old and still looks new. And it's a lot easier on the knees than a hard rough surface.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:04 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
We recently (a week ago) moved up from our VW Touareg to a new 2017 F-150 XLT w/ no bells and whistles other than Tow Mirror, Tow Package and Payload Package. That payload package gave us a whopping 2541lbs! Why do I need that much payload? Because like you, we want to bring toys

-Decked (www.decked.com) being installed as of this writing
-Yakima Bedrock and xross bars for 2 bike and a cargo rack
-Spray in bedliner
-woods
-future generator
-future kayak/canoe
-and more jun....errr...toys lol

I forgot to mention its a super crew w/ 6.5 bed for two adults two toddler'ish and our golden
EarStreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 03:16 PM   #28
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Toys and upgrades for our NEW Tow Vehicle

Lots of good options above!

I also use a DECKED (www.decked.com) drawer system & elevated bed in my truck. Installed my standard Thule bike rack with the integrated T-TRACK rails.... provides really convenient organization and access to gear.

Cost was about $1200 or so all in. Self-install and can be removed in about 20 minutes if needed.

Super high quality materials and construction. The deck is rated to 2,000 lbs so you can still load stuff in the truck bed on top of the drawers if you remove the bike rack.

The decked system is custom fit for your truck for a nice tight fit / clean install (they have a model for all major pickups) and also covers the wheel arches, so you actually have more continuous flat square footage to work with. The drawers extend the length of the bed and pull almost all the way out on metal tracks with wheels / bearings.

Weighs about 220lbs (need to subtract from your available payload if installed)

If you install one then you really wouldn't need a bed liner since it covers the majority of the bed area...

Just another option.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1319.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	564.0 KB
ID:	294966   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1320.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	847.1 KB
ID:	294967  

Name:	IMG_1216.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	294968  
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 03:25 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithdogs View Post
Today is the day we pick up our new 2018 Ford F-150 Ecoboost 4x4 Supercab 6.5 bed, 145in WB. We ordered it in July equipped with most of the goodies: max tow, BLIS, telescoping mirrors and all the tech.

It arrived with 1786 beautiful pounds of payload, per the door sticker.

By the end of the year it will be towing a 25RB with 2 smallish humans & 110lbs of dog.

So many important things to ponder (not the least of which: what to name it!) but for now I'd like to hear opinions from the wise ones on this forum regarding...

• Bedliner: Spray or drop in? Details to consider?
  • Tonneau Cover: does big $$ really = best quality? Fold or roll?
  • Bike, kevlar canoe and paddleboard carriers: best solutions and best practices?
  • Any suggestions for the truck that will make life easier on the road, or at home?
Thanks to the many threads/posts out there, we understand what we need and need to do re the WD hitch, thus it's not included in this list.

Your thoughts and opinions are much appreciated!
My F-150 has a rear cargo 'cabin' which encloses the cargo bed. (See Photo)
It covers the cargo bed, and gives some less aerodynamic drag.
And, of course, protects the contents from the weather.
The cargo bed is a 'drop-in', held by a number of bolts.
Works for me.

Name:	30' FC  with F-150 again.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	372.0 KB
ID:	294969
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 03:49 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grapevine , Texas
Forget the tonneau cover

Recommend losing the tonneau cover for your F150, and go with a full shell.

Most boxes, generators, and misc. items are too tall for the cover.

Also, get your local shell vender to mount two standard Yakima rack tracks onto the top of the shell. Then bicycles, kayaks, poles, lumber, small boats, and cargo carriers will fit nicely on top of your shell and cabin.

Had both, never go back to the flat top!

And, when necessary, you can sleep in the bed of the truck! So can your big dog.
tommyglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 03:51 PM   #31

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Toys and upgrades for our NEW Tow Vehicle

Your tastes may vary, but I wanted a heavy duty cover. I realized that I needed to focus on quality and durability because I keep my trucks for a long, long, long time. As such price was less of a factor for me which narrowed the field for me personally. Tonneau for me was an easy decision after much research.

www.diamondbackcovers.com

The only other that came close for me was:

www.peragon.com

Name:	IMG_5311.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	316.5 KB
ID:	294971Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5312.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	334.7 KB
ID:	294972

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 04:38 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Newmarket , Ontario
I have the bed rug and I love it. Nice surface to put all of my stuff on and easy to sweep out. I have the Weathertech for the interior floors and those are great too. As for the bed cover. I looked at what the owners of the shops had on theirs and went with that! I don't remember the brand but it's soft and folds over twice. Getting to the very front of the bed is a bit tougher, so I put larger items in that section. As for security, the newer truck beds lock so I'm not worried. I also bought a side step to get into the bed. I'm only 5 feet tall, so it's a necessity! Over all I'm happy with my purchases.
Skycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 04:54 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri

Name:   IMG_5109.JPG
Views: 367
Size:  81.5 KB

Name:   IMG_4866.JPG
Views: 345
Size:  79.1 KB

We take 2 Hobie Kayaks along using a removable rack made by Spring Creek Outfitters in Mn.It is fully adjustable and has pullout loading bars on each side that make loading a lot easier.with a short bed you can purchase just one rack for the box and one made for the cab.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:21 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
I don't know how much more a cap weighs than a "fancy" tonneau, but we use a Leer cap and keep the bikes safe and clean inside the cap and two touring kayaks on top. Works well.

Richard
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:11 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Saint Paul , Minnesota
Spray in, drop in steals a few inches which might be important some time later.

Roll tonneau same reasons as above.

Maintain the hell out of the truck. Change fluids, check brakes, change oil etc. nothing is more distressing than breaking down half way between Dawson City and Chicken.
Mhphhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:55 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
Lots of questions that really relate to personal usage. You need to figure out what your endgame really is so you can make the right selections for your needs.
Something to consider for the bed is a rubber mat. Almost no sliding of your gear and no sandpaper effect on your equipment. I love ours.
Ronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 09:21 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
I am not wise but as a recent purchaser of a 2017 Ford 150 with all the bells and whistles (sounds like it's your truck!), I do have a couple of things to share. I thought long and hard about the bed and having been an SUV owner for much of my car life, I decided I wanted it to always be clean and watertight in there. So I opted for the bed rug and a color-matched hard tonneau cover. I also got a left-sided cargo holder that swings out from the inside left of the bed and it's pretty cool. I might even get a right one but waiting until I see how my bike fits in there. It looks great, am hoping it might even improve gas mileage a little. I am building biceps from pulling down the tonneau cover. It has gas struts so EZ to open but after trying to pull it down with the inside strap, I find it easier to just reach up and pull it down from the back edge/lip of cover (I am tall). I wish Ford made a rubber hand grip for that edge so I didn't leave fingerprints on it but oh well. Hope this helps.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 10:43 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Decatur , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
...3) bikes go on the front of the AS (Arvika). Canoe goes on the roof (one Thule bar and on a home made stake pocket "ladder rack". (See inside the rail Tonneau above).

4) WeatherTech floor liners and windshield sun shield are highly suggested. Also, WeatherTech "no drill" mud flaps.
Thanks dznf0. I'm interested to see how the Arvika works. We'll have to watch our tongue weight too. Will also be looking at how we might vertically mount a cargo control system inside the AS to hold the bikes similar to this one:

http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Ratche...at-track-6-ft?

We've seen one in action, and it looks like a good solution to several bike concerns. We'll wait til we get the AS to really investigate it.

I learned how important the sun shield is on the way home from the dealer. Too bad you can't DRIVE with it! . Ordered both floor liners and sun shield today. Thanks for the tip!
runswithdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 11:31 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
I went with the Linex spray in liner and have had no issues.

After a bit of research, I selected the Extang Encore Tonno cover and have been happy with it. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0580.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	360.9 KB
ID:	295018
ijoe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 12:25 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
WARNER ROBINS , GA
Roll top tonneau

Hiya, check out the Pace Edwards ultra groove metal.

http://www.pace-edwards.com/ultragroove-metal

I haven't gotten one yet but after all my research and loooking I think this is just a little more versatile than the Retrax. Pace Edwards has a groove for the Yakima rack. You can use the roll top with bikes on the racks.
jrwayne is offline   Reply With Quote