Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1958 17' Pacer
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Tryon , North Carolina
Just my two cents worth. I get 15 mpg with my FJ, Trail Teams Edition, with TRD exhaust, and cold air intake. Reese WD with anti sway. Extended shank, so I can open the rear door. 26 footer, 22 footer or the 18 footer! Plus, I'll never get stuck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4083019236.png
Views:	281
Size:	856.2 KB
ID:	155637   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3986839732.png
Views:	407
Size:	794.9 KB
ID:	155638  

Name:	image-2642283543.png
Views:	253
Size:	860.1 KB
ID:	155639  
Jimbcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:35 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by starcraft View Post
It's chev colorado in wolfes clothing. Not a bad thing in fact I like them. For power though they are barely pushing themselves with 5cyl motor. H1 is beastly with diesel motor, H2 is joke. I like toyota products but think FJ is kind let down. If it was more like wrangler I would give it thumbs up. No top down, kind boring. Maybe can am could build you wrangler to pull it in 4dr flavor and new 2012 motor.
They made an H3 'Alpha' that was available with a V8. I saw one sit on a dealer's lot for 3 years before they finally marked it down to $20K to get rid of it... was almost interested in it at that price, but it's like the H2... a lot of show and not much go - in stock form anyway.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:32 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbcole View Post
Just my two cents worth. I get 15 mpg with my FJ, Trail Teams Edition, with TRD exhaust, and cold air intake. Reese WD with anti sway. Extended shank, so I can open the rear door. 26 footer, 22 footer or the 18 footer! Plus, I'll never get stuck!

I also pull an 18 footer just fine, and have towed boats before as well. No issues as of yet.

x2 on the mileage. I don't have the TRD exhaust or CAI, but thinking of installing them. The one major thing I do differently is to keep the rig in 4 instead of D (auto tranny), which prevents overdrive from kicking on. Coming back from the desert a few weekends ago, with Cruise control, at about 60 mph, I got ~14.8 mpg.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Airstream Anza.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	263.5 KB
ID:	155644  

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:00 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
Any of you remember the 5th wheel trailer system back in the late 1960s using a VW bug? Had a 5th wheel hitch mounted on the roof of the bug.. Trailer at best was 12 foot or so long... Took care of alot of issues but then again VW's had good metal and a strong roof.. Being an old "air head " it would still be under powered with a 50 hp engine..

Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:41 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2009 16' DWR
Venice , Florida
[QUOTE=Eaglemate;1131961]Anyone have any comments about a Toyota FJ Cruiser to tow a 24 ft. airstream? Not the 6 cylinder, the 8.

First of all, there is no 8 cylinder FJ Cruiser. It is only certified to tow 5000# with an appropriate hitch weight.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:50 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2009 16' DWR
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglemate View Post
What about the H3 Hummer, the smaller version? OK, I realize it's a testosterone-driven beast, but I am a smallish woman, so what the hell,right?
The H3 has no power to even pull itself, much less a 24' trailer. On or off road the H3 can't hold a candle to and FJ. Sorry H3 lovers, but sometimes the truth hurts.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:33 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 28
Tampa , Florida
FJ & a 28'

Name:	IMAG0254.jpg
Views:	2201
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	155652

Dont get me wrong, I love the FJ. Just think to tow a mid 20's ft trailer its a bit small in stature. Drove this rig from Gainesville to Tampa and had a few moments where the tail was wagging the dog.

28'
inTransit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:16 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
East Islip , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by inTransit View Post
Attachment 155652

Dont get me wrong, I love the FJ. Just think to tow a mid 20's ft trailer its a bit small in stature. Drove this rig from Gainesville to Tampa and had a few moments where the tail was wagging the dog.

28'
How does it do with the 22' Safari though?

-Hans
HHaase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:43 AM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by inTransit View Post
Attachment 155652

28'
No WDH or sway control.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 28
Tampa , Florida
Fj

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHaase View Post
How does it do with the 22' Safari though?

-Hans
It did fine with the 22', particularly so because the axle was original and it bounced all over the place.

No WD or sway, correct. I went to Bobs RV salvage up in High Springs for parts and it was there for sale. Was not expecting to bring home an Argosy, but you do what you have to. While Im sure an appropriate hitching would have helped, under no circumstances would I ever recommend a trailer of that size to be towed with a FJ on a regular basis, that's all I'm saying.
inTransit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:33 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota

Have you tried this with a sway control/weight distribution hitch?
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:12 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1958 17' Pacer
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Tryon , North Carolina
Here' the shank
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1061887832.png
Views:	214
Size:	1,007.5 KB
ID:	155913  
Jimbcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:02 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
We have a FJ,, but I cant ever picture dropping our 72 Overlander ( 27') on the back...

Its a great family car for our cow path roads here in NW Kansas,, but just lacks any needed raw power to lug a larger trailer very far..

Now if it had the 6 speed manual and diesel as my friend has down under it might be a different story.. Thanks big brother govt,, EPA..

Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:53 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2010 19' International
San Francisco , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike91208 View Post
I towed a 19' Bambi with an FJ and it did just fine, but I wouldn't want to go longer than that. You might want to contact Can-Am as they can make things work with creative hitching. Here's their website:
Can-Am is a #1 Airstream Dealer
Mike91208 - Did you install a ClassIV hitch on your FJ for the 19'?
Old 01-08-2013, 11:06 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I think if you check the towing and hitch capacities of the FJ. You will find that the trailer is way beyond the limits. Assuming your trailer is over 22'.
A class IV hitch will not solve the load carrying capacity of the FJ. Check the rear axle rating, the tongue weight capacity with and without weight distribution and anti sway. Along with the towing capacity, ie weight of the trailer (loaded).
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:29 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by urban71 View Post
Mike91208 - Did you install a ClassIV hitch on your FJ for the 19'?
Yes. Nothing special, just an EZ-Lift hitch.
Mike91208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:38 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Some may have read the posts, but I recently changed to an Andersen WD Anti-sway hitch with my FJ Cruiser and 17' Casita rig, and I really like the way it tows. MUCH better than the single bar hitch with the friction slide anti-sway.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2009 16' DWR
Venice , Florida
I tow a 17' Oliver without any special hitch on my 2010 FJ Cruiser and it tows better than my 16AS Bambi did with a Hensley Pup costing $2400. It may be that the Oliver is not as wide as the AS and probably a little lighter, 3900# fully loaded. I also get about 3 more MPG with the Oliver than the AS. It is a 2008 model just like my AS DWR was.

A while back I remember reading in this forum that you could not make a trailer with an aluminum frame. Well, the Oliver frame is aluminum. It has two group 27 batteries in a roller bearing exterior compartment and is dual hulled with insulation and has dual pained windows, marine grade stainless hardware, smart converter, led lights, satellite TV, 45 foot self stored automatic electric cord, two way privacy shades, a 5200# axel with quad shocks and 16 inch wheels with Michelin truck tires. There are many other features that AS owners were complaining that the AS did not have.

I loved my 16ASDWR, but could see that there would be a lot of maintenance to keep it in working condition. I worried about leaks and the wood floor, getting tire blowouts with the cheaply made Chinese trailer tires, going over 65mph. The frame was rusting where the paint was chipped off. The stereo had a hum in the speakers. Workmanship was, to be honest, very poor on the initial build. Lamination on the drawers and cabinets was coming unglued, the TV was not even digital.

The bottom line here is that AS could upgrade their technology and build quality.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:47 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellsbay View Post
I tow a 17' Oliver without any special hitch on my 2010 FJ Cruiser and it tows better than my 16AS Bambi did with a Hensley Pup costing $2400. It may be that the Oliver is not as wide as the AS and probably a little lighter, 3900# fully loaded. I also get about 3 more MPG with the Oliver than the AS. It is a 2008 model just like my AS DWR was.

A while back I remember reading in this forum that you could not make a trailer with an aluminum frame. Well, the Oliver frame is aluminum. It has two group 27 batteries in a roller bearing exterior compartment and is dual hulled with insulation and has dual pained windows, marine grade stainless hardware, smart converter, led lights, satellite TV, 45 foot self stored automatic electric cord, two way privacy shades, a 5200# axel with quad shocks and 16 inch wheels with Michelin truck tires. There are many other features that AS owners were complaining that the AS did not have.

I loved my 16ASDWR, but could see that there would be a lot of maintenance to keep it in working condition. I worried about leaks and the wood floor, getting tire blowouts with the cheaply made Chinese trailer tires, going over 65mph. The frame was rusting where the paint was chipped off. The stereo had a hum in the speakers. Workmanship was, to be honest, very poor on the initial build. Lamination on the drawers and cabinets was coming unglued, the TV was not even digital.

The bottom line here is that AS could upgrade their technology and build quality.
We looked at Oliver trailers in depth before we bought our Airstream, but it struck us as a tiny plastic trailer with little windows, molded plastic interior furnishings, certainly not in the league of Airstream. I don't have any problems with our Airstream build quality, it is gorgeous and nicely fitted, the new ones may be among their best. I also trust technology more that has 80 years experience, than a new company that lasted a few years and is now out of business.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:33 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2009 16' DWR
Venice , Florida
Doug, I understand your point completely. My 2008 16'AS DWR was very open and beautiful inside and out. That is why I bought it in the first place. I have a bit of claustrophobia and do not like to be in enclosed places for very long. There is no way the Oliver is going to compare in that way with the AS.

That being said, the Oliver is open and bright enough inside to satisfy my needs. As for the build quality, there is no comparison. My 2008 Oliver is just superior in every way to my 2008 16 AS DWR. Not even close. I really needed both a grey and black water tank and the Oliver has that. The off-road and 'off the grid' capability of the Oliver is important to me as a nature photographer. One of the most important aspects of the Oliver over the 16 AS was that I could put Michelin LT tires on it and not have to worry about all the problems associated with trailer tires.

Although Oliver Technologies no longer is making Olivers, they are still in business. When I picked up my 2008 used Oliver I called them and asked them if they were willing to put the 5900# axel on my trailer. They had retrofitted these on some of the other Olivers. The former owner of my Oliver said he did not think it was necessary and declined Olivers offer to retrofit. Dan Oliver not only said that he would do it, he also said that Oliver Technologies would pay for it, even though I was the second owner. He had the axel custom made and it was waiting for me at the Oliver facilities when I arrived. While I was at the Oliver factory getting the axel, they offered to go over the trailer and fix or replace anything that was wrong with it. Fortunately, there was nothing that needed fixing! When I called the AS factory to ask about the hum in the rear speakers, the first thing the tech guy asked was if I was the original owner. When I told him that I was the second owner he told me that he couldn't help me. Not the answer I was hoping for.

I still miss the little AS, but an RV trailer is a tool for my photography and traveling, not the reason for it.