Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-15-2006, 08:20 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Cranston , Rhode Island
Toyota FJ Cruiser - doing the math

Hi everybody, this is my first post, so please be patient with me!

The stars have aligned and I'm seriously considering getting an Airstream in the fall to spend a year on the road. I've been looking at the 19 footers for a while, but I have recently taken a shine to the Safari 20'. I love the kitchen and having the bed right under the panoramic windows.

I would really appreciate some advice about towing with my 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser. It's a fairly new vehicle so there's not much info about towing anything with it yet. Here are the basic numbers:

FJ Cruiser:
Curb Weight: 4300
GVWR: 5600
GCWR: 8800
Max Tow Capacity: 5000
Wheelbase: 105.9"

Safari 20':
GVWR: 5000
Hitch weight: about 500

If the FJ says it can tow 5000, and the the Safari is 5000 max, is this a reasonable combination? (I don't plan to load up the TV). Do I need a safety margin?

Would a 19' be a more reasonable option? The GVWR on the 19's is 4500.

One thing I don't get is that the combined towing capacity of the FJ is 8800, and if you subtract the FJ's curb weight, you get a towing capacity of about 4500. If you subtract the FJ's gross weight (like Airstream suggests), you get a towing capacity of 3200. How does Toyota figure you can tow 5000 if the combined capacity is 8800?

So, overall, does the FJ + Safari 20' combination seem like a reasonable match, a safe match, or am I pushing it? I'd really love to keep the FJ Cruiser as the tow vehicle if possible.

Thanks for all input - these are great forums!
SilverSausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 09:18 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
You question curb weight, you need real-world proof of your vehicles weight... many manufactuors do not include options like: air conditioning; luggage racks; carpet and interior upgrades; wheel and tire upgrades; full size spare; weight of hitch carrier ball and brake controller (and on and on) in their published vehicle base weight!

I suggest you fill your tank with gas, toss a cooler with a couple gallons of water in the back seat and coerce whoever will be vacationing with you to ride along to a truck stop that has CAT scales and learn exactly what your Toy weighs loaded - then add whatever is needed to actually make the trip.

I found my 99 F150 weighed in at 5500 pounds ready to roam for a week via CAT scales so the 1973 27' Overlander I purchased has a GVWR of 6200 giving me 11,700 GCVWR (matching Fords specs exactly) but I haven't had trailer and TV on scales yet, the AS is up on blocks in the driveway still...

At first glance I'd say you need more truck or less trailer, though the 19' 4500# weight you mention is with full tanks, food, clothing, bedding etc. loaded, just omitting a full water tank can reduce weight 400 pounds.

I hope someone who owns a Toy posts what they've accomplished or declined to try
Old 06-15-2006, 10:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Living at the margin

We've got a similar situation with our 1978 Argosy 24 and a 2000 GMC Safari. The trailer GVWR and the towing capacity of the van are both 5800# and the length/wheelbase ratio is definitely in the questionable zone. I'm doing mostly weekend trips and work hard at keeping the trailer weight well below the max. Not a lot of real world experience yet but one trip over the Cascade mountains proved that it's not only possible but not all too bad. That said there is a lot of value in having a bigger margin for both safety and longevity of the TV. However, the biggest thing anyone can do to increase the safety margin is to reduce speed. Well, at least to a point; if you're significantly slower than the flow of traffic that becomes a problem too.

You didn't say if your Toyota is manual or automatic. Extended towing at or near the rated capacity will really be hard on a vehicle with a manual. Not only will you eat up clutches but the shock on the driveline is much more severe than with a torque converter.

More than the weight and power issue I'd be concerned about the wheelbase of the Toyota. Our van is 111" which is OK but your shorter wheelbase and likely higher center of gravity would worry me. What's the axle arrangement on the trailers you're considering. I've nothing scientific to back this up we decided the extra 300 or so pounds for a second axle was well worth it in terms of decreased sway and the ability to "ride out" a tire failure.

Take some time getting your hitch set-up dialed in. There are lots of good weight distribution (WD) hitches on the market. More than the brand you choose is getting the hitch height and torsion bar loading right. With the short wheelbase you'll probalby benifit from some type of additional sway control. The Reese Dual Cam set-up looks nice in that the sway control is not only built in but, according to the advertiising hype helps prevent sway from starting rather than just controlling it after the fact as the friction devices do.

-Bernie
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 10:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
I luv the look of the new Toyota FJ and with the unique curves and body style it would look cool in front of an Airstream.

If you go for it I hope it all works out .
Old 06-15-2006, 11:29 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
FJ Cruiser:

Safari 20':

There must be a typo in the numbers above. the GCWR: 8800 does not jive with the GVWR: 5600 and 5000 tow capacity. I certainly would check to determine what the gcwr really is, as that is probably the best indication of what you can really tow. Also, I would check with someone who has a trailer similar to what you want to tow. I unfortunately found out that Airstream's numbers were off a bunch on my 2002 safari ss with LS package. Best estimate, well over 500# light. According to the weight charts on the Airstream web site, the 2002 weighes 4770 and the 2003, with no changes, weighes 5220. According to their literature, the LS package, which includes corian, heat pump, spare tire, and a few other little things added NO weight! Because of these discrempencies, my 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee is towing quite a bit over it's GCW. It has done the job quite well since December 2001, but I sure wish that the Airstream really weighed what Airstream said.
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 12:09 PM   #6

Currently Looking...
Cranston , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmickle
FJ Cruiser:

Safari 20':

There must be a typo in the numbers above. the GCWR: 8800 does not jive with the GVWR: 5600 and 5000 tow capacity. ...snip...
That's exactly what confused me. But I think you're right... I got the 8800 number from multiple sources on the internet. I just checked the FJ owner's manual, and it says:

GCWR: 9200 (2 wheel drive)
GCWR: 9500 (4 wheel drive)

(The internet was wrong!? Say it ain't so!! :-)

That makes more sense. 9500 minus an FJ (4300) and a driver (200) gives you 5000 pounds left to tow. It might be doable. I'm not planning on hauling lots of people or stuff regularly with me. But I think an actual weighing of the FJ is in order. I wish the GCWR could handle the FJ's gross weight plus 5000.

Also, to answer the other questions above, the Safari 20' is a single axle, and my FJ has an automatic transmission. There's no transmission cooler - not sure how feasible it is to add one, but maybe it's worth it.

I think I do need to learn a lot about sway control next.

And yes, the FJ and Airstream would look GREAT together! :-)
Old 06-15-2006, 12:21 PM   #7
_

. , .
hi sausage and welcome to the forums....

thanks for looking at the numbers....
and questioning them all...
gcwr is a key figure
so make sure you have the correct figure...
yes towing capacity IS reduced as people and stuff are added to the cruiser......
5000 is way higher than other vehicles of similar size to the cj cruiser....
so i'm doubtful of that figure....

yes you want a margin under the max....i like 20% less.
also i'd want a tranny cooler on the cj....
and yes i'd want sway control......
see the many threads on this...
and weight distribution hitches tooo.....

i love the new fj and it would look cool in front of an airstream...

but only parked in front......not pulling.

the towing capacity is just not high enough and the wheel base not long enough and so on.......

so if your heart is set on trying this combo and helping us learn that it works or does not.....

-try the 16 bambi as the biggest newer trailer.....
the bed is larger in this model and
it works nicely for one person
going into most locations....
the safari is toooooo much trailer for the cj cruiser...imo

or
-find a vintage unit.......
these are much lighter for size...

but i'd still be nervous about towing anything larger than 2500-3000lbs...
carry gear IN the cj and IN the trailer is a reality....
so you gotta count water, fuel, lpg, camping gear, bikes and beer.....
travel without stuff is wishful thinking.....
and no fun.

now perhaps you will charge ahead anyway with your selected combo....
and somehow prove it possible....

but will it be safe?
i honestly don't think so...

also consider the NEW BASE CAMP or the TAB which are both lighter weight travel trailers.....

the base camp really WOULD look cool behind the toyota!!

now my favorite approach is
find the trailer you really like
and THEN buy a t.v. capable of safely handling your dream trailer.....
or the next size up....
for when you want the next larger airstream!!!

come back often and tell us what you decide......

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 10:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbiteer
You question curb weight, you need real-world proof of your vehicles weight... many manufactuors do not include options like: air conditioning; luggage racks; carpet and interior upgrades; wheel and tire upgrades; full size spare; weight of hitch carrier ball and brake controller (and on and on) in their published vehicle base weight!

I suggest you fill your tank with gas, toss a cooler with a couple gallons of water in the back seat and coerce whoever will be vacationing with you to ride along to a truck stop that has CAT scales and learn exactly what your Toy weighs loaded - then add whatever is needed to actually make the trip.

I found my 99 F150 weighed in at 5500 pounds ready to roam for a week via CAT scales so the 1973 27' Overlander I purchased has a GVWR of 6200 giving me 11,700 GCVWR (matching Fords specs exactly) but I haven't had trailer and TV on scales yet, the AS is up on blocks in the driveway still...

At first glance I'd say you need more truck or less trailer, though the 19' 4500# weight you mention is with full tanks, food, clothing, bedding etc. loaded, just omitting a full water tank can reduce weight 400 pounds.

I hope someone who owns a Toy posts what they've accomplished or declined to try
This post sums up my feelings most of all. Be wary. Read The Flaming Manual because it will bear more on your particular situation than anything I'll say. The tow capacity and GCWR are maximums with absolute minimum load inside the tow vehicle -- okay if you weigh as much as a thoroughbred jockey. Read the limitations on these figures for my 3/4-ton GMC Sierra at Post 40 at this recent thread. More importantly you must never feel in a comfort zone if your tow vehicle is over its individual capacity. Curb weight + load capacity = GVWR. Assuming the more practical 4WD model (click on Capacities) that leaves a maximum load in the FJ Cruiser of .... 5570 minus 4295 .... of 1275#. (Congrats if your FJ Cruiser has more load capacity than that -- you'll need it.) Now if the simplest base model doesn't have a 2" receiver on the back frame you must subtract 150# or more. Your heavy hitch bar is borne almost completely on the hitch -- absolutely minimum by the trailer wheels. Other front weight? Your WD gear (Reese? Equalizer?) -- not big but all on the hitch. Full propane tanks will add hitch weight only.

Airstream.com has precious little detail on the 20'. I wish they kept their website updated more than once a year ... . Extrapolating between the 19' and 23' they would claim around 500# as Hitch Weight (for a model without options only weighing 5000# GVWR). Because your hitch bar, WD gear & LP will all be at the front, I'd say your actual hitch weight would fall more into the expected 12-15% that the rest of us see. Therefore your actual hitch weight would readily approach 700# or more. Only actual weighing of the loaded trailer's A-frame tongue jack will provide the details -- it could be more. This puts your 1275# load capacity FJ Cruiser perilously close to maxxing out -- considering any FJ Cruiser option isn't yet subtracted from load capacity -- and you want to carry how many people? Even an iPod could be too much...

Folks really need to get serious about load capacity of their tow vehicles. For a good safety margin, wiser heads than mine have recommended not using more than 85% of that load capacity. The benefits are tow vehicle durability, emergency avoidance, braking capacity -- all issues that contribute greatly to life and limb of the occupants. Isn't that what it is all about?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 10:32 PM   #9
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
You might also want to figure out what Toyota's towing package is, and whether or not you have it.
The specs on teh engin elok fine for towing a smallish Airstream, but what about the axles, cooling system, electrical etc.
A tow package usually consists of low geared axles, increaased cooling capacity, increased alternator output, tow hitch, and associated wiring.
Without at least a 4:10 axle ratio, I would not tow much more than a jet ski with the FJ. I am not a believer in the "bigger is better" philosophy, but the FJ might just be under rated to do the job safely and efficiently.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:00 PM   #10
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I think with passnger(s), fuel, cargo, etc, about all that *might* pull would be a 16'.

I agree, looks cool, but I'm not sure cool can tow a 19' or a 20'. Move yes, tow no.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 09:42 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2007 16' International CCD
Los Angeles , California
And here's my first post.. I also own a FJ Cruiser (yellow) and bought a 16 feet international Bambi... I'm planning to travel on my own, with little equipment, I really wanted the 19 feet Bambi, but after a lot of thinking and talking to Airstream owners, I opted for the 16.
Reasons:
-easier to tow and you can get further as the overhang is shorter.
-easier on the FJ, and gas consumption
-easier to clean, heat, cool
-and big enough for 1 person

I would advise strongly against anything bigger then the 19.
sos10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:39 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Niagara Falls , New York
I have until just recently towed a 17 foot TT (3500 lbs) with a 2004 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 reg cab, with a 103" wheelbase. I found it to be very unstable for towing, especially in windy conditions or being passed by big rigs. I upgrade to an 05 Dodge Dakota CC w/V8. MUCH, MUCH better.
ata3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:44 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Niagara Falls , New York
Toyota Tacoma

Forgot to add: I was using a Reese WD w/swaybar. Still scary towing at times.
ata3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 11:31 PM   #14

1973 27' Overlander
wrightwood , California

Ok I did some calculating, devised some models and I say you better be real careful!
Surfer_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:52 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Texas
hey silver sausage...

i was curious to know what you ended up doing? did you tow a 20' AS with an FJ?

I have an FJ and want to buy a 23' safari....pretty sure I am going to have to get a new TV.
bjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:18 AM   #16

Currently Looking...
Cranston , Rhode Island
Wow, it's been a long time since that first post!

Sadly, my job situation changed and I wasn't able to get the chance to spend the year on the road. I would still love to do it some day... I'm keeping the dream alive!

So I never got an Airstream, though I still have the FJ. From all the research I did in the weeks following, I concluded that it really would have been better to upgrade the vehicle. I'm Toyota guy, so some of the more recent model Tundras looked like a good option (though the prices start to climb pretty fast on the beefier models).

Anyway, if you're looking at a 23' Safari, I would definitely recommend a different TV as well. Good luck!
Old 09-08-2009, 10:19 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Texas
thanks Man,

I think I have solved my towing capacity problem by going to a restored 21 ft vintage (1960) AS....the old ones it turns out are MUCH lighter than the new ones. This is is only 3000lbs
bjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:40 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
FJ Cruiser towability

I would really appreciate some advice about towing with my 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser. It's a fairly new vehicle so there's not much info about towing anything with it yet. Here are the basic numbers:

FJ Cruiser:

Safari 20':

If the FJ says it can tow 5000, and the the Safari is 5000 max, is this a reasonable combination? (I don't plan to load up the TV). Do I need a safety margin?

[/QUOTE]

The FJ tows at 80% very nicely, my vintage 22 Argosy is 3425lbs and loading all the junk 3955lbs. I'm getting 17mpg on flat Florida land, 15mpg in my area, and 13 to 14 humping over hill and dale in Pennsylvania, (like the back roads but hilly).
Cruises nicely at 65mph and passes nicely at 75mph.

An Airstream dealer recommended as far as the Sport models 22' or a 19' Bambi no more due to weight. Sadly the sport does not come with shocks so passed on that one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2237.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	107132  
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote