Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-08-2015, 06:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' International
1964 17' Bambi II
Ogden , Utah
Towing with trailer attached

Has anyone had a breakdown with their tow vehicle while their trailer was attached? If you tow vehicle has to be towed to the nearest town to be fixed, what do you do with your trailer? What if our pets are inside, which they usually are? Is their insurance that will cover this, what are the options?
mcaslaon4449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 06:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
If you have Good Sam tow insurance or USAA for that matter, they dispatch a tow truck capable of towing tow vehicle with trailer attached.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
We have AAA and when I broke the output shaft on my Avalanche they sent 2 trucks 1 for the Avalanche and 1 for the Casita. They took the Avalanche to the shop of my choice and the Casita back to the RV Park.

On our way home about a 100 miles out the fuel pump failed on my Tahoe while towing my car trailer with my PT Cruiser on it.

At that time we had ACSC (AutoClub of So Cal RV+) that only covers RV units.

In that case they would only tow the Tahoe but not the car trailer . If I wanted them to tow the car trailer it would cost $$.

Fortunately I had left the 2" stinger in the PT's receiver . So I unloaded the PT and hooked on to the car trailer, rigged the lights and towed it home.

We now have AAA and Good Sam.

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 05:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Pets in trailer?
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 06:44 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
In the summer of 1996 my Jeep broke down on the Trans Canada Highway just out side of Chilliwack, BC during the Sunday night rush hour. I was towing a borrowed 25 ft Prowler. I called Fraser Valley Towing and they showed up in about 20 minutes with a flat bed tow truck. They loaded the Jeep onto the flat bed, hooked up the trailer and towed me to the Jeep dealer in Abbotsford and deposited the jeep at the service bay door, and the trailer in the back lot. It took about an hour. We stayed in the trailer and after the dealer replaced the coil in the morning by 9AM, we were gone. Every opportunity I get , since 1996, I tell about the great service that I received From Fraser Valley Towing. I don't know those guys from Adam. They charged me $37. Thanks again. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 10-09-2015, 07:57 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Here in Canada, I have "CAA Plus RV" (I am pretty sure identical coverage under AAA) and they will tow both the truck and trailer - no matter how they have to do it.

I have not had to have it done yet - touch wood - but one minor complication would likely be that I would need to remove the Hensley Hitch for them to be able to tow the trailer with a conventional ball hitch. I don't think it would be difficult and I think I could just leave the main part of the Hensley hitch hanging on the back of the truck.

Hope I don't have to find out though!

Brian.

(With CAA RV Plus, they would also tow my motorcycle if disabled.)

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:11 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
A story from years ago, mid 1980's. I was on the New York State Thruway, diesel Suburban towing a 25' Airstream. The transmission (700 R4) toasted. When the tow truck came the guy wanted to lift the front of the Suburban slightly, disconnect the drive shaft, and tow the combination. I protested but was in no position to do much, so that is what he did. By lifting the front of the Suburban, very high stress was put on the Reese hitch spring bars as they were still trying to lift the trailer front.

We got to the Dealer (Sunday, of course) and he wanted to disconnect the trailer and leave it in one place, Suburban in another. He would not drop the Suburban front. He proceeded to take a piece of pipe and put it over the snap up bracket tang. I told him that the pressure would be too great and it would rip it out of his hand. But he knew it all and would not listen to me. When the bracket went over center it ripped the pipe out of his hand as I had predicted, and smashed it into his foot. I can only imagine the damage it did, he screamed and cursed and blood was pouring from his foot. Only then would he listen, and let the front of the Suburban drop, while he watched me disconnect the trailer normally. He left the trailer and Suburban in different places on the lot, and disappeared.

I don't know the rest of the story on his foot, but I am sure he broke many parts of the top of it. But he knew it all, and did it his way.

Don't let anyone double tow your tow vehicle and trailer as a set without disconnecting the spring bars. I doubt that they would even attempt that today, but who knows what shows up when you call a towing company.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:37 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
Cincinnati , Ohio
our tow vehicle was fixed.

Yes. The repair service towed our trailer to his lot where we stayed until our tow vehicle was fixed.
Richard Kern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:24 AM   #9
Classy Roscoe

Is it bad forum form to point out that all this in the ditch problems pulling trailers involved GM and Dodge vehicles?? Just asking.😉
Jekerrville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:48 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekerrville View Post
Is it bad forum form to point out that all this in the ditch problems pulling trailers involved GM and Dodge vehicles?? Just asking.😉
Yes, it is totally irrelevant.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 12:16 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:

And has absolutely nothing to do with this thread. Almost strikes me as a trolling post.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 12:37 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
Just a quick good word for AAA & CAA. First, be sure you purchase the rv coverage option or they only take care of the tv. In the case below our companions were AAA members traveling in Canada.

Our traveling companions with a Volvo station wagon towing a teardrop broke down twice (incomplete diagnosis/repair the first time) in remote parts of Nova Scotia and needed to be towed to the only Volvo dealer located in Halifax. Both times CAA covered towing for both vehicles (flatbed for car and trailer). They also received some payment for trip interruption costs.

As a first year Airstreamer I am still trying trying to determine which of the various clubs (insurance) is the best overall. We have USAA insurance (Progressive was great with a significant comprehensive claim on our new Airstream), Good Sam, Airstream, and Good Sam at the moment. Any suggestions are most welcome!
D2
Old 10-09-2015, 12:48 PM   #13
NOAZRK

2004 34' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Kutztown , Pennsylvania
This worked pretty well for me. I have Good Sam Road Assist. When a breakdown occurs, call 911 and ask for police assistance for traffic safety. An officer usually arrives pretty quickly providing safety with flashing light. Ask him/her what towing service they recommend along that stretch of road they regularly patrol. Contact Good Sam and tell them that in consideration of the circumstances a police officer has recommended the "ABC Towing Company". In my case, Good Sam Club appreciated the lead and picked up the bill in full. After all, when you call Good Sam, they most likely have never had a prior dispatch to the area you are in and that could cause a dispatch from a lot further away that's not suited for your situation. Just think of all the other benefits of selecting a towing service that recommended by a local police officer who's standing to overhear all the arrangements before your rig is towed away.
NOAZRK2690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 01:29 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
We have Allstate RV insurance. When we had a blowout in the middle of nowhere and no cell phone service available, a Sheriffs deputy came along and used his radio to patch us through to Allstate who sent out a tire repair truck. Very great service. I highly recommend them.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 05:59 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Howard , Ohio
Quote:

I actually found it funny, but I don't own a vehicle by either brand.......and I'm camping......and on my 4th beer......😉
Ohiobrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:32 PM   #16
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
When I went to Alaska with a friend in 2010 his F-150 fried a shift cable. He was stuck in Drive and could not restart after a rest area stop. Good Sam dispatched a flat bed tow truck. The driver put the F-150 on the tilt bead, then hooked up the trailer to the tow truck's hitch. I had to follow them 100 miles back to Fort Nelson with my flashers on because the light hookup was not compatible. Long story short, The new cable came with a much thicker heat shield from Ford seven days later. Had a great time touring Fort Nelson.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:54 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOAZRK2690 View Post
This worked pretty well for me. I have Good Sam Road Assist. When a breakdown occurs, call 911 and ask for police assistance for traffic safety. An officer usually arrives pretty quickly providing safety with flashing light. Ask him/her what towing service they recommend along that stretch of road they regularly patrol. Contact Good Sam and tell them that in consideration of the circumstances a police officer has recommended the "ABC Towing Company". In my case, Good Sam Club appreciated the lead and picked up the bill in full. After all, when you call Good Sam, they most likely have never had a prior dispatch to the area you are in and that could cause a dispatch from a lot further away that's not suited for your situation. Just think of all the other benefits of selecting a towing service that recommended by a local police officer who's standing to overhear all the arrangements before your rig is towed away.
This reminded me of a friends situation .
After leaving a Tear Drop gathering in Lakehead, CA and only making it a mile south his truck quit. So he called his towing insurance co. for a tow truck.

He had left about 45 minutes before me and was traveling with other friends who also stopped with him . When I came by I spotted them and went to the next exit and came back around to see if I could help.

So after about an hour he called the insurance co and asked where the tow truck was. They said it should be there soon as it was dispatched from San Diego.

He mentioned that he was over 500 miles north of San Diego and to send a truck from Lakehead just a mile away.

Long story short Lakehead towed it to my house (12 miles) and my friends left it over night and headed home to Reno with their friends and came back the next day with their friends truck and trailer, loaded it up and headed back to Reno.

So ya it would be a good idea to ask to local PD for a recommendation.

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 06:09 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
If you are in rural areas you can tow the TV and trailer together by releasing the pressure of the WD bars. In urban areas it becomes more problematic just because of traffic congestion. In 1972 while towing a SOB with an E300 Ford van, coming off of the Beartooth Highway toward Red Lodge MT we lost all forward gears on the automatic, and rolled to a stop. The tow truck driver hooked up the van, released the WD pressure, and towed the combination into Laurel MT, dropped the trailer off at a campground, and took the Van to a Ford dealer.

Today we have Good Sam roadside insurance that covers all our vehicles for breakdowns and towing, including the AS and the TV, but asking the police who they recommend is a great idea that I hope I never have to use.

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:30 AM   #19

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
My Progressive policy on the Airstream provides towing for the Airstream if it is disabled, or both if the tow vehicle is disabled. I carry AAA towing for the tow vehicle and my cars. No need for the RV coverage. Cheaper that way. Progressive maintains their own emergency road service center. Never have had to use them, although I did call AAA on the road once when traveling on the road due to a dead battery when we stopped to eat.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:09 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Good Sam took good care of us. Towed us with trailer to a Walmart (where we 'camped' 2 days) then the car to a repair shop.

Neil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07594.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	250417   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07595.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	250418  

FreshAir #12407