Old 10-09-2015, 06:59 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Howard , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekerrville View Post
Is it bad forum form to point out that all this in the ditch problems pulling trailers involved GM and Dodge vehicles?? Just asking.😉

I actually found it funny, but I don't own a vehicle by either brand.......and I'm camping......and on my 4th beer......😉

Porsche Cayenne Diesel
Ohiobrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:32 PM   #16
"Space A" S/O Registry 11

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
When I went to Alaska with a friend in 2010 his F-150 fried a shift cable. He was stuck in Drive and could not restart after a rest area stop. Good Sam dispatched a flat bed tow truck. The driver put the F-150 on the tilt bead, then hooked up the trailer to the tow truck's hitch. I had to follow them 100 miles back to Fort Nelson with my flashers on because the light hookup was not compatible. Long story short, The new cable came with a much thicker heat shield from Ford seven days later. Had a great time touring Fort Nelson.
guskmg

Old 10-10-2015, 12:54 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOAZRK2690 View Post
This worked pretty well for me. I have Good Sam Road Assist. When a breakdown occurs, call 911 and ask for police assistance for traffic safety. An officer usually arrives pretty quickly providing safety with flashing light. Ask him/her what towing service they recommend along that stretch of road they regularly patrol. Contact Good Sam and tell them that in consideration of the circumstances a police officer has recommended the "ABC Towing Company". In my case, Good Sam Club appreciated the lead and picked up the bill in full. After all, when you call Good Sam, they most likely have never had a prior dispatch to the area you are in and that could cause a dispatch from a lot further away that's not suited for your situation. Just think of all the other benefits of selecting a towing service that recommended by a local police officer who's standing to overhear all the arrangements before your rig is towed away.
This reminded me of a friends situation .
After leaving a Tear Drop gathering in Lakehead, CA and only making it a mile south his truck quit. So he called his towing insurance co. for a tow truck.

He had left about 45 minutes before me and was traveling with other friends who also stopped with him . When I came by I spotted them and went to the next exit and came back around to see if I could help.

So after about an hour he called the insurance co and asked where the tow truck was. They said it should be there soon as it was dispatched from San Diego.

He mentioned that he was over 500 miles north of San Diego and to send a truck from Lakehead just a mile away.

Long story short Lakehead towed it to my house (12 miles) and my friends left it over night and headed home to Reno with their friends and came back the next day with their friends truck and trailer, loaded it up and headed back to Reno.

So ya it would be a good idea to ask to local PD for a recommendation.
2001 Casita 13' Patriot Deluxe

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 07:09 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Stone Mountain , Georgia
If you are in rural areas you can tow the TV and trailer together by releasing the pressure of the WD bars. In urban areas it becomes more problematic just because of traffic congestion. In 1972 while towing a SOB with an E300 Ford van, coming off of the Beartooth Highway toward Red Lodge MT we lost all forward gears on the automatic, and rolled to a stop. The tow truck driver hooked up the van, released the WD pressure, and towed the combination into Laurel MT, dropped the trailer off at a campground, and took the Van to a Ford dealer.

Today we have Good Sam roadside insurance that covers all our vehicles for breakdowns and towing, including the AS and the TV, but asking the police who they recommend is a great idea that I hope I never have to use.

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:30 AM   #19

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
My Progressive policy on the Airstream provides towing for the Airstream if it is disabled, or both if the tow vehicle is disabled. I carry AAA towing for the tow vehicle and my cars. No need for the RV coverage. Cheaper that way. Progressive maintains their own emergency road service center. Never have had to use them, although I did call AAA on the road once when traveling on the road due to a dead battery when we stopped to eat.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:09 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Good Sam took good care of us. Towed us with trailer to a Walmart (where we 'camped' 2 days) then the car to a repair shop.

Neil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07594.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	250417   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07595.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	250418  

FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:45 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I have asked this specific question to my insurer, American Family.

As long as you have the trailer and TV are fully insured with them, the trailer will be towed with or without the TV. They will pay for a 2nd/separate truck to tow it away if required.

Ditto with a trailer tire blow out. That is covered...as well as any damage done.

This is why all my trailers are insured. Its not very expensive for this level of coverage and peace of mind.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:40 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Stone Mountain , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RinconVTR View Post
I have asked this specific question to my insurer, American Family.

As long as you have the trailer and TV are fully insured with them, the trailer will be towed with or without the TV. They will pay for a 2nd/separate truck to tow it away if required.

Ditto with a trailer tire blow out. That is covered...as well as any damage done.

This is why all my trailers are insured. Its not very expensive for this level of coverage and peace of mind.
_____
Does your American Family Insurance give you AGREED VALUE or is it based on a typical Kelly Blue Book type of depreciation? If your AS is only a few years old, you are probably OK, but if you are several many years old, you want Agreed Value. If your insurance company doesn't require you to get a certified appraisal from one of the major appraisal groups, you probably don't have agreed value, and in any case, insist that a policy spell it out, AGREED VALUE. Hope you never need both vehicles towed due to breakdown. Life is so much more fun when the wheels just keep going around and around.

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote