Old 05-26-2015, 06:44 PM   #43
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
There is a lot to absorb in this thread and think about from the above commenters.

I went to the CAT scales on Friday when we where driving from VA to here in NY. Trailer came in at 6400 even surprisingly, but my WD must not of been setup as good as I thought (Proof the scales are the barrier of truth). Front was 3249 and rear was 3894 with a combined of a 13543. Under my GVCWR of 15000. Pretty sure I need to distribute that load more to the front wheels.

I'm contemplating a Propride after seeing all the Hensley and Propride users at the Rally in VA.

So I'll chime back in in 20 days probably with an update. My primary goals have been to keep weight down and within spec on both vehicles.

Truck tow spec is subject to interpretation. See AndrewT Hitch Hint column from Nov 2014 and read then re-read that quite carefully on the how to do it. So long as one doesn't exceed tire/wheel ratings there is plenty of room to experiment. 100% FALR is a baseline setting, not necessarily an end. Equal squat would bring its own set of numbers. Etc.

A VPP hitch is without peer. As you've been an off-roader you can compare hitches more easily to think of it this way: use engine and brake power more confidently when you do not have to worry over the effect on trailer as that is what a VPP hitch brings. It's a rough comparison, so I trust you understand my meaning. Steering is what matters.

CAN AM in the past has preferred HA as it can be more easily customized. Call ahead to set service, but talk with Mr Thomson in any case. You're close to them compared to most of us. His advice would save you some steps or frustrations.

Full time is different. Calls for more than what the vacationer gets away with.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:42 AM   #44
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Bold, How do you find towing with those on/off road tires?

Also, was that 6400# without full tanks of fluids? Looks like your trailer is about 5400# stock so you added 1000#. Not as much as I thought a full-timer might have.

http://www.airstream.com/wp-content/...2d478dbdf8.pdf

Old 05-31-2015, 01:22 PM   #45
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Truck tow spec is subject to interpretation. See AndrewT Hitch Hint column from Nov 2014 and read then re-read that quite carefully on the how to do it. So long as one doesn't exceed tire/wheel ratings there is plenty of room to experiment. 100% FALR is a baseline setting, not necessarily an end. Equal squat would bring its own set of numbers. Etc.

A VPP hitch is without peer. As you've been an off-roader you can compare hitches more easily to think of it this way: use engine and brake power more confidently when you do not have to worry over the effect on trailer as that is what a VPP hitch brings. It's a rough comparison, so I trust you understand my meaning. Steering is what matters.

CAN AM in the past has preferred HA as it can be more easily customized. Call ahead to set service, but talk with Mr Thomson in any case. You're close to them compared to most of us. His advice would save you some steps or frustrations.

Full time is different. Calls for more than what the vacationer gets away with.
Without opening a can of worms in my thread, this is where I agree the most, I'm basically looking at my tires + axle ratings and trying to to over load those, same on the Airstream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
Bold, How do you find towing with those on/off road tires?

Also, was that 6400# without full tanks of fluids? Looks like your trailer is about 5400# stock so you added 1000#. Not as much as I thought a full-timer might have.
They're load range E tires and handle pretty well. I've been happy with them so far, although they where not the tires I originally intended to buy, long story short, dealer ordered wrong tires and offered me these or wait two weeks, and offered discount, so I decided to try the Toyo's after a fast google search of some other RV forums and opinions on Ram forums.

I wanted General Grabber A/T II's as I had them on my previous overland setup and put lots and lots of road miles on a set crossing the country, offroading out in moab and really just loved the tire.

I'm sure something like a Michelin LTX MS/2 would preform better on the highway, get better MPG, and maybe even brake better.

These are the trade off's of I'm made for my purposes.

The 6400# is with a half filled fresh water tank. We're minimalist, and ended up getting rid of most everything, and figured we would only buy when we discovered we had the need.

Some folks need 1 ton trucks because they carry so much stuff, I haven't gotten to that point. Although I do think about a 3/4 ton, right now it's not because of a stuff factor.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:28 PM   #46
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Thanks for the feedback. I asked because I'm trying to figure out if my truck is sufficient with the new larger trailer. I haven't weighed the trailer loaded so it's good to get an idea of where we might be.

And the tires were a consideration for mild off roading. Nothing like what you used to do but I figure out west we may want to get off the road a bit. Wasn't sure if the on road compromise was too much.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:28 PM   #47
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Without opening a can of worms in my thread, this is where I agree the most, I'm basically looking at my tires + axle ratings and trying to to over load those, same on the Airstream.
Well I clearly did NOT proof read my post. As I am NOT TRYING to overload my axles and tires. That would be a disaster.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:45 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Crestview , Florida
Bold what kind of MPG's are you getting? Rand
Old 06-10-2015, 09:20 PM   #49
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizbear View Post
Bold what kind of MPG's are you getting? Rand
That really depends, towing vs city vs old vs new tires.

I have a very small current sample size of 11.5~12 mpg average based on the small sample I have. Since we got to NY I honestly have not been keeping track. After we leave from here, I'll start logging again more regularly with the fuelly app.

Without towing I'm getting 16mpg with my mods. I'd suspect it would be better with OE sized tires and no lift since it was 19mpg when we bought it. And I remember getting 13.2 towing back from Alabama and thinking how awesome that was for a v8. Of course, minus 1 kid, empty trailer and truck and no mods back then.